first medal of the season

MikeH

Content Director
Staff member
Visit site
Morning all

I have my first club monthly medal tomorrow - filled with the usual mix of wildly misplaced optimism (could it be the round I break 70?) and worrying I'll wake up too late (have 7.32 tee time) and rush on to the tee and proceed to knob it down the 1st!

Looking forward to spending this evening watching a bit of PGA Tour coverage for inspiration, cleaning my clubs, moving everything from my pencil bag into my trolly bag and thinking of a suitable outfit to wear.

How does everyone else prepare for their medals and when is your first one of the season?

MikeH
(GM editor)

madandra

Money List Winner
Visit site
Hi Mike,

I am a little bit like you. I spend the night before the start of the season getting the troosers, t-shirt, jumper, waterproofs, and brolley ready then going through my bag making sure I have plenty of new balls, new white tees, got the marker and pitchmark repairer only to always KNOB IT DOWN THE 1ST AND NEVER HIT A GREEN THUS NEVER NEEDING THE DAMN PITCHMARK REPAIRER but ............ I am usually cursing the fact that I brought '12 NEW' Pro V's cos they are all plugged somewhere out in the fields. I must look like a cart horse trudging round the cabbage up to my knees in mud looking for my ball whilst lugging the LIGHTWEIGHT stand bag the is full of unused pariphanalia that weighs slightly more than Rick Waller.

Thank God for Golf !!!!!!!!!!!!

John_Findlay

Tour Winner
Visit site
Best of luck Coopsarama.

TRY (it's really hard) to forget you're playing in a medal. Relax. Play your usual game and don't count up your score as you go. I always have my best scores when I'm not keeping track. It takes the pressure off you in the last 6 holes when you may be on for a good one.

On a technical point -- just aim at a specific target and swing. It's all about the score, not how it got there !!

B

birdieman

John
Really annoying that every strokeplay event I play people always insist on totalling 9 hole score. All the advice is to forget about your score but I find this difficult anyway without being forced to add up after 9. Immediatley you start thinking "Only need two birdies to get cut", or "if I can just get in in two over I'll get a 74" etc etc.
How do I stop this and stay in the now?

John_Findlay

Tour Winner
Visit site
I wish I had an answer to that one, Birdieman.

I usually ask my marker in medals not to tell me my score after 9 holes. Trying to forget your own score is harder, especially if you subconsciously count to par. I try to forget what I got on a hole as soon as I putt out and immmediately think about the next tee shot and nothing else. But I find my mind wandering back to how I'm scoring out of habit. It's a mind game too. That's what makes it fun

Driverman

Hacker
Visit site
Also my club's first medal of the season tomorrow. Have already played the mens foursomes trophy (came 3rd) so I don't feel the need to gear up for competition mode. My method for preparing for a medal is to get there 40mins - 1 hours before tee-off time, pay entry fee then go onto the range and hit about 15 balls with an 8 iron purely to loosen up. I try not to worry too much about the result of the shots, just completing my action and getting a good feel. Then I like hit the putting green and get a feel for the putter. I dont aim at a hole, just pick an open part of the green and put 2 tees down just wider than the width of my putter head and this gets me striking the middle of the ball. Then it's off to the first tee when all that practise and preparation go to waste!

backspin

Hacker
Visit site
I am aware of my score in comps and it does not bother me.I just go out and enjoy myself if i win i win if not i dont care as long as i have played close to my handicap.I suppose its because i am always the lowest handicaper and i dont stand as much chance of winning,some scores that come in i need to shoot under par to win.
I dont prepare at all one practise swing on the first and thats it.I did get the jitters last summer when i was -4 with four to play.I dropped 3 shots and came in -1 my partners did not help with comments like (you could break the course record) yea thanks.

Teetotal

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I find that once there's something at stake eveything goes up a notch and those casual rounds with a lot of banter suddenly turn into the most nerve wracking 18 holes you'll ever play. However pressure does sharpen your game.

MikeH

Content Director
Staff member
Visit site
...shot 84 no where near even the buffer!

very windy and awful bumpy greens (excuses excuses I know) but only 10 scores better than 80 in a field of 100 plus

good to be back in the saddle though!

Up_Point_1

Head Pro
Visit site
Was your competition not a ‘handicap reductions only’ one ??

It seems a little bit harsh to have your handicap increased by playing outside the buffer zone this time of year.

DHM.

Coopsarama

Club Champion
Visit site
Well i finished.........last :) LOL!!! I hooked my first hot left out of bounds and it kinda degenerated from there! I have to admit though I still really enjoyed it. I was just enjoying playing golf for the first time in ages. Can't wait for the next one now. Should have my new G5's and Nike Sq2 driver by then!

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Have a non qualifying event next sunday (can go down but not up). Have not shot worse than net 3 under for about 4 weeks, so fully expect to have a really rubbish round. Pity really as it would be nice to knock a shot off before the season begins.

StuRS

Visit site
I've now played my second medal of the year, the wheels fell off in both.

Playing off of 11.
1st: +4 after 6 holes then double bogey, double bogey, 8! taking me +1 over total handicap at the turn.
2nd: +2 after 6 holes then double bogey, double bogey, single bogey. Obviously put me off as I finished +5 over handicap :-(

Got a stableford competition this weekend. I've been over the card and marked where I will get my shots. Hopefully this should stop me thinking about my gross/nett score too much and just focus on getting the points. We will see.