First Golf Holiday - Clothing & Equipment Tips

Revolt

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Off to Portugal in September which I am buzzing for!

1) Can anyone recommend a solid case to carry the clubs in?
2) Assume its going to be hot, whats the most breathable golf t shirts you have come across?

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
They’re pretty much all breathable these days. All the poly shirts are designed to wick away sweat from the body.

The Srixon bag has good reviews for the price. Personally I’ve got a Club Glove bag,a little more expensive, but have used it for 4 trips now and no sign of coming apart.

Grantley1988

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I wouldn’t recommend a solid case. They are cumbersome and hard to get into a car or taxi to the airport.

I bought a cheap Dunlop bag from sports direct. It’s huge and is less likely to go missing at the airport! Who would steal a Dunlop bag ;) better off removing the driver head & 3 wood if you can. I’ve always wrapped a towel around the heads and never had any clubs break.

Normal golf t-shirts will be fine. Even in peak summer I’ve never found it to be too hot. I’d imagine September weather will not cause any issues. You’re most likely going to be in buggies which will shield off any sun.

Dibby

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I can't recommend a solid case, as mine is ancient and I will be buying a new one next time I travel, but keen to see what others recommend.

Although they are a ballache, if anything did happen with a soft case, most airlines and insurers wouldn't cover you, so it depends on your risk tolerance against the convenience factor. Everyone will have a different acceptable level for this, so there is no right or wrong answer.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I bought one of these for our trip to Portugal this year

https://www.amazon.co.uk/MacGregor-...9381&sr=8-1&keywords=mcgregor+golf+travel+bag

I took the head off my driver, put a broom handle in which was taller than any of my other clubs, and wrapped the heads in towels/clothes. Managed to get all my clothes and other stuff in as well. Everything was fine.

Think I paid just short of £60, good buy now at £40.

D

Deleted Member 1156

Get a hard case! Fabric ones get ripped to shreds and don't provide as much protection.

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
I had a hard case and was glad when I eventually sold it!
They are so awkward when trying to get in a car and mine only had room for my clubs.
I now have a soft case which carries clubs, shoes, towels, and a fair percentage of my clothing ........................... and it's reasonably malleable!
Don't go hard, stay soft. :eek:

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Never been a lover of the shirts which wick away the sweat.

I prefer shirts which help you to not sweat in the first place so it has to be 100% cotton for me.

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
I bought one of these for our trip to Portugal this year

https://www.amazon.co.uk/MacGregor-...9381&sr=8-1&keywords=mcgregor+golf+travel+bag

I took the head off my driver, put a broom handle in which was taller than any of my other clubs, and wrapped the heads in towels/clothes. Managed to get all my clothes and other stuff in as well. Everything was fine.

Think I paid just short of £60, good buy now at £40.
I have got one as well, and a bargain for £40. Used it quite a few times, and so far no damage.

Jamesbrown

Head Pro
Visit site
Soft case ideal. Any cheap one will do. Holds clubs. Clothes, shoes.

Take a carry bag. If you encounter a problem with your buggy. A cart bag isn’t fun.

September isn’t too hot. It gets cold at night. It’s warm enough for shorts in the day.

Book tee times allowing 5 hour rounds. It’s slow out there. Deathly slow. As long as you go with that already in mind and psychologically adjust. Should be fine.