First full putting lesson with SAM Lab - wow !!

Crawfy

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Although I've had a previous putting lesson last season, Wednesday night was my first session using a SAM putting lab system...wow !!

I have definitely benefited from using Flightscope for my Driver and irons, and the experienced was mirrored by SAM.

My putting is the last area of my game to get attention as we have been working on a new swingpath and ball striking, but it is deffo the area of my game that is letting me down.

Having immediate feedback on my existing putting strike/stroke and tempo was great.

Some very basic drills allowed me to groove a new 'feeling' in my stroke which was them evidenced on screen. Going from 7deg left to consistently <1 deg from neutral in the space of 30mins was impressive.

The data maybe overkill for some but for me it was great to see it easily on screen. My pro was able to explain it throughout whilst blending it into a coaching method we have build up over the past couple of years.

My putter is now getting shortened to get me in a better position over the ball, and another session is booked for next week to continue the learning process.

I'm seeing a possible 2 shot improvement in my Hcap as a target based on what I've learned so far.

Would deffo recommend a session to anyone looking to improve performance on the green.

stokie_93

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Although I've had a previous putting lesson last season, Wednesday night was my first session using a SAM putting lab system...wow !!

I have definitely benefited from using Flightscope for my Driver and irons, and the experienced was mirrored by SAM.

My putting is the last area of my game to get attention as we have been working on a new swingpath and ball striking, but it is deffo the area of my game that is letting me down.

Having immediate feedback on my existing putting strike/stroke and tempo was great.

Some very basic drills allowed me to groove a new 'feeling' in my stroke which was them evidenced on screen. Going from 7deg left to consistently <1 deg from neutral in the space of 30mins was impressive.

The data maybe overkill for some but for me it was great to see it easily on screen. My pro was able to explain it throughout whilst blending it into a coaching method we have build up over the past couple of years.

My putter is now getting shortened to get me in a better position over the ball, and another session is booked for next week to continue the learning process.

I'm seeing a possible 2 shot improvement in my Hcap as a target based on what I've learned so far.

Would deffo recommend a session to anyone looking to improve performance on the green.

any ideas how you can locate places that do these?

my putting has been horrific recently :( played last night - hit 7 greens in reg through 9 holes and 3 stabbed 5 times!

Garush34

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Good to hear of the results gained from the session. I watched Rick Shiels's video the other day of his time in with the sam putt lab and it does give a lot of information.

If you don't mind me asking did this cost much more than you would pay for a regular lesson? It would be something I'd be interested in but would all depend on the cost. Would you say its worth the overall cost for the time and output results?

Crawfy

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Good to hear of the results gained from the session. I watched Rick Shiels's video the other day of his time in with the sam putt lab and it does give a lot of information.

If you don't mind me asking did this cost much more than you would pay for a regular lesson? It would be something I'd be interested in but would all depend on the cost. Would you say its worth the overall cost for the time and output results?

No extra cost at my range (Clydeway Golf Performance Centre - Uddingston) but then again I done my session as part of a 6 lesson packaged that HID gets me for xmas.

Clydeway installed a Huxley indoor putting green a while back and got the SAM lab at end of last season.

I was going to use my last session for a full gap analysis of my bag...sod that ! I'm getting back on SAM - deffo strokes to be gained there.

Three

Tour Rookie
Visit site

I always "speak as I find" and this is probably the best post I've read on a golf forum since I knew they existed about 8 years ago.

SAM (Science And Motion) is AWESOME.
Sorry for the capital letters :)

If anyone wants to seriously improve their scores, improving putting is much easier than changing the movements of an ageing, creaky body.

VVega

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Girton GC in Cambridge got SAM recently.

Paul Ashwell in St Ives uses Zenio system that measures similar things but can be used outside on the green.

Crawfy

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I always "speak as I find" and this is probably the best post I've read on a golf forum since I knew they existed about 8 years ago.

SAM (Science And Motion) is AWESOME.
Sorry for the capital letters :)
If anyone wants to seriously improve their scores, improving putting is much easier than changing the movements of an ageing, creaky body.

Cheers squire. Just saying it as I see it. Appreciate the compliment

AMcC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Hi AMcC, no it was with Stuart Williamson, but I know Ross does putting clinics with SAM. My daughter has attended his kid's classes.
Cheers Crawfy, been looking to have a lesson on one, the next closest ones I have found were on the east coast. You have obviously enjoyed and hopefully benefitted from yours.
Do you know the cost for a one off lesson?

Garush34

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Found a couple in East Lothian prices randing from £60 up to £85. The £85 is at the Nike performance centre which I suppose might be worth the extra cost for all the newest equipment.

AMcC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Found a couple in East Lothian prices randing from £60 up to £85. The £85 is at the Nike performance centre which I suppose might be worth the extra cost for all the newest equipment.

The two I know of are Musselburgh and St Andrews links

Very interesting stuff. Heard about this before but not really checked it out until now...may have to put this on my wish list for 40! :D

Any ideas to the closest to Ayr?

40 is that a present you banked from a few years ago 😂😂🙃
Nearest one to us is Clydeway Driving Range, near Hamilton.

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site

I definitely benefited from SAM analysis and I went from 12hcp to 9hcp in months.