First Comp since joining

D

Deleted Member 1156

Top tip, first person on the green pulls the flag out 👍

Swango1980

Visit site
Our first hole, par 4, has a water, about 170 yards carry, out of bounds left, out of bounds right (driving range) and usually into the wind. In my first ever competition, I did the following:

Shot 1: Slice into Range from tee, Shot 2: Penalty, Shot 3: Slice into Range from tee, Shot 4: Penalty, Shot 5: Switch to 5 iron, fat it off the tee, into water. Delighted that I can get off the tee and away from everyone watching. I ended up with a 9 or a 10, it was a medal.

A few years later, I was playing a big Open at Bangor Golf Club in Northern Ireland (the base for Rory McIlroy's coach Michael Bannon at the time). Loads of people surrounded the first tee, watching the groups tee off. I took my 3-wood, not a long par 4. I hit the ball so fat that the club head bounced over the top of the ball. The divot, or vibrations of the earth, knocked the ball off the tee, although it was still touching the tee (I'd be bottom of the list if there had been a longest drive prize on that hole). In embarrassment, I nearly picked the ball up and stuck it back on tee, before my senses reminded me that my ball was in play. So, I quickly hit my second shot down the fairway, and ran after it to get away. I actually ended up with a bogey on that hole, and ended up winning the tourist prize in that comp. Sadly though, many will remember me as the hacker on the first hole.

Basically, don't worry about it. Everyone get's nerves, especially on the first tee. And, everyone has an absolute nightmare from time to time, some of us frequently. Trick is, if you have a mare just laugh it off and move on.

Springveldt

Visit site
Resurrecting an old thread...

Same as the OP, it’s my first ever comp tomorrow. Absolutely bricking it and have thought of nothing else all week! If I can get my first tee shot away I’ll be fine, Problem is it’s over water so I’m debating whether to hit my usual drive or play safe with an iron to make sure I get over! I’ve gone in the water once since joining.

As well as the fear factor, I can’t wait to get out there, very excited!
Just don't put too much pressure on yourself, go out and enjoy it.

Go with your normal shot on the first, no need to put yourself in a more uncomfortable position. The driver face is massive as well, you should get something on the ball at least. ;)

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Our first hole, par 4, has a water, about 170 yards carry, out of bounds left, out of bounds right (driving range) and usually into the wind. In my first ever competition, I did the following:

Shot 1: Slice into Range from tee, Shot 2: Penalty, Shot 3: Slice into Range from tee, Shot 4: Penalty, Shot 5: Switch to 5 iron, fat it off the tee, into water. Delighted that I can get off the tee and away from everyone watching. I ended up with a 9 or a 10, it was a medal.

A few years later, I was playing a big Open at Bangor Golf Club in Northern Ireland (the base for Rory McIlroy's coach Michael Bannon at the time). Loads of people surrounded the first tee, watching the groups tee off. I took my 3-wood, not a long par 4. I hit the ball so fat that the club head bounced over the top of the ball. The divot, or vibrations of the earth, knocked the ball off the tee, although it was still touching the tee (I'd be bottom of the list if there had been a longest drive prize on that hole). In embarrassment, I nearly picked the ball up and stuck it back on tee, before my senses reminded me that my ball was in play. So, I quickly hit my second shot down the fairway, and ran after it to get away. I actually ended up with a bogey on that hole, and ended up winning the tourist prize in that comp. Sadly though, many will remember me as the hacker on the first hole.

Basically, don't worry about it. Everyone get's nerves, especially on the first tee. And, everyone has an absolute nightmare from time to time, some of us frequently. Trick is, if you have a mare just laugh it off and move on.

Both of those scenarios have already gone through my head, as has an air shot!

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Just don't put too much pressure on yourself, go out and enjoy it.

Go with your normal shot on the first, no need to put yourself in a more uncomfortable position. The driver face is massive as well, you should get something on the ball at least. ;)

Yeh, over the course of the day I’ve decided to go with my normal drive. I have OOB to the left but as long as I connect I should be fine. It’s only 140ish over the water! Famous last words!

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
If the water isn't usually a problem pick the normal club and treat it as a normal round The ball doesn't know its in a comp. Swing smoothly, relax and enjoy it

Yep, that’s my thinking too. Very much looking forward to it and no doubt I’ll be awake 2 hours early!

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
I still remember my first. Shot 103 with a 5 putt...

Partners were brilliant and helped me all the way round as best they could within the rules.

Wished they hadn’t as I went out and won the next two...

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Went pretty well considering I’ve never played off the whites before, scored 104 (been scoring mid 90s off yellows). The lads I played with were great, very welcoming and they’ve said I’m welcome to join them for casual rounds and roll ups.

Big difference playing off whites, more than I expected. I thought it would pretty much just be a case of being further back, but on a lot of the holes it makes the tee shot much tighter. The 18th, for example, it’s around 300 off the yellows, normally drive it well, pitch it on or close and walk away with a par or bogey. Off the whites it’s 330 but more importantly, the trees lining the tee box and fairway massively come into play. I actually hit an ok drive through the trees, but pulled it slightly. When I got down there the lie was unplayable, in a bush that I couldn’t get a club into never mind myself, so had to take the 2 shot penalty. Then hit a nice iron towards the green l, but unfortunately it took an awkward bounce off into the bunker, right on the back edge, no stance. Ended up taking a 9!

But, all in all, I would’ve taken that if offered at the start. And I hit the 1st drive clear of the water, so I went home a happy boy!

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Went pretty well considering I’ve never played off the whites before, scored 104 (been scoring mid 90s off yellows). The lads I played with were great, very welcoming and they’ve said I’m welcome to join them for casual rounds and roll ups.

Big difference playing off whites, more than I expected. I thought it would pretty much just be a case of being further back, but on a lot of the holes it makes the tee shot much tighter. The 18th, for example, it’s around 300 off the yellows, normally drive it well, pitch it on or close and walk away with a par or bogey. Off the whites it’s 330 but more importantly, the trees lining the tee box and fairway massively come into play. I actually hit an ok drive through the trees, but pulled it slightly. When I got down there the lie was unplayable, in a bush that I couldn’t get a club into never mind myself, so had to take the 2 shot penalty. Then hit a nice iron towards the green l, but unfortunately it took an awkward bounce off into the bunker, right on the back edge, no stance. Ended up taking a 9!

But, all in all, I would’ve taken that if offered at the start. And I hit the 1st drive clear of the water, so I went home a happy boy!
Nothing to worry about was there? Decent performance and we all make mistakes and get bad bounces so not worry about. Great news that you've got yourself some regular games too. I'd put that down as a successful first effort

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Definitely nothing to worry about at all and I’ve done my wife’s nut in talking about it all day since I got back! 😂

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
....When I got down there the lie was unplayable, in a bush that I couldn’t get a club into never mind myself, so had to take the 2 shot penalty....
Nice one on the day. Re the part quoted, you may wish to share some more details in case the knowledgeable may give
some options for just the one shot penalty.

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Nice one on the day. Re the part quoted, you may wish to share some more details in case the knowledgeable may give
some options for just the one shot penalty.

Ok, the ball was in deep rough under the branch of a low bush, the branch was maybe an inch above the ball, the only way I could get the club behind it was to hit it further into the bush, all other directions were blocked. Even then my backswing would’ve been about 6 inches! Declared it unplayable. I then marked the location and dropped it back on the line from tee box to ball, for the cost of 2 penalty shots. So I then played that next shot as my 4th shot.

Please tell me that’s right!

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Ok, the ball was in deep rough under the branch of a low bush, the branch was maybe an inch above the ball, the only way I could get the club behind it was to hit it further into the bush, all other directions were blocked. Even then my backswing would’ve been about 6 inches! Declared it unplayable. I then marked the location and dropped it back on the line from tee box to ball, for the cost of 2 penalty shots. So I then played that next shot as my 4th shot.

Please tell me that’s right!

Glad you enjoyed your round and your pp were helpful, but from what you describe that should be one penalty shot and you drop from your ball in line from the flag and not the tee box, did your pp not advise you of this ?

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Noooooooo!! Bugger. It was my pp who told me about dropping it on a line from the ball back to the tee, for 2 penalty strokes! Looks as though we both need to learn the rules!

That’s so annoying, would’ve totally changed that hole because not only would I have had 1 stroke less, but my swing after that drop was slightly impeded.

Right, I’m off to read the rules in full.

Noooooooooo!!!

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Noooooooo!! Bugger. It was my pp who told me about dropping it on a line from the ball back to the tee, for 2 penalty strokes! Looks as though we both need to learn the rules!

That’s so annoying, would’ve totally changed that hole because not only would I have had 1 stroke less, but my swing after that drop was slightly impeded.

Right, I’m off to read the rules in full.

Noooooooooo!!!

That would be annoying for you hard luck your pp should have known better, and remember when you go back in line from the flag there is no limit to how far you can go back so this can help sometimes for example you could go back say 60 yards to give you a better shot over some trees.

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
That would be annoying for you hard luck your pp should have known better, and remember when you go back in line from the flag there is no limit to how far you can go back so this can help sometimes for example you could go back say 60 yards to give you a better shot over some trees.

Yeh, reading up on it this morning, could do that or take 2 clubs lateral, is that right?