First Comp since joining

Saville85

Hacker
Visit site
So this Saturday sees my first competition since becoming a club member for the first time in my golfing life.

I’m aware of the usual social etiquettes of what conversation topics to avoid and I’ve been given sound advice to basically ask if in doubt on any rulings.

Just thought I’d throw a topic out to see if anyone has any horror stories they want to share about their first times.

I’m fully prepared for the topped first shot or horrendous slice into the adjoining properties but figured if anyone is willing to share any of their experiences it might make me chuckle and relax a bit more come 09:30 on Saturday morning

D

Deleted member 25172

I’ll follow this thread closely as I’m in the same position as you on this.

Curious what you said about topics not to bring up? What were they? I mean, is there anything wildly different than to what conversations you should try to avoid in any other social surrounding? Only thing I’ve learnt from this forum is to not bring up colour of socks and cyclists as that can trigger the deepest of demons in everyone... :)

Good luck on Saturday!

Saville85

Hacker
Visit site
I’ll follow this thread closely as I’m in the same position as you on this.

Curious what you said about topics not to bring up? What were they? I mean, is there anything wildly different than to what conversations you should try to avoid in any other social surrounding? Only thing I’ve learnt from this forum is to not bring up colour of socks and cyclists as that can trigger the deepest of demons in everyone... :)

Good luck on Saturday!

Yeah just the usual politics and religion really but that’s a lesson learnt from life rather than a golf course.

I’ll make sure I add cyclists and socks to that list 😂

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Turn up early, and try and hit a few balls to warm up (even if it's just in a net) and hit a few putts. Introduce yourself to your PP's, don't forget to swap cards and don't worry about first tee nerves it's normal. Most people will converse freely. If you hit the ball somewhere and not sure on how to proceed (penalty drops etc) ask before you touch the ball. Again most PP's will be happy to help but as this forum will testify what they think are the rules may not be correct so perhaps a rule book in the bag will help. Basically, turn up, have fun and enjoy the day

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Tell them from the start that it's your first Comp so may need some help.. 'If that's OK?'
Don't stand in-line with putts, on either line nor move around.
First to the green looks for & repairs pitch-marks.
If you're first in the hole, the pin is your's to replace.
If unsure, check you are marking scores correctly..... the guy you're marking will appreciate that.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Remember there will be the odd GCW every club has them and don’t let that put you off playing again

Just wait until you come to the Kent Links meet Lilyhawk, every GCW ever invented will be there 😁😁😁😁 ( Not really!)

D

Deleted member 25172

I’ve already started to prepare mentally for it... :D

Wolf

Visit site
Just be friendly, polite and a decent human being play by the rules and if you're unsure ask. You'll be fine the important things is to be yourself, be relax and have fun.

If you want a horror story my most nervous was my first ever junior league match as a 14 year old, I made the 6 man team to play against another club we had home advantage. I was in the first group out partnering our junior team captain so I had our team the opposing team, the rest of our junior section watching and a load of parents who came to spectate, I was one of the lower handicap playing off single figures, was I confident nope? Not at all I was crapping myself.

Tee'd it up was going for the green on a short par 4 drivable due to the layout, nice smooth swing and topped it straight into the ladies tee markers, pinged off those and somehow ended up 50yards down the fairway... My playing partner stepped up he was playing off 4, he took an iron for safety, he proceeded to shank his Tee shot over the fence to right of the 1st tee OOB straight into the clubhouse wall, ricocheted off and hit a car. Queue loads of sniggers, laughs and comments from other team saying how they were having the point from our game in the bag.

Our Junior organiser who picked the team laughed, said now I know why I put you 2 put first and at least one of you is in play still and could be worse could have not made it past the ladies tees! The pair we played hit good shots and walked off like they knew they had us beat already. The terrible tee shots were best thing could happen as it actually made us relax because it could not have started worse. I stuck my 2nd shot to 4foot made the birdie and we won the hole and the match overall. I learnt that day that it's best to relax as much as you can and just go with it and that the laughing at us was just fun and how we should be playing for fun..

Last edited:

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Don't worry in the slightest. Admit to them before you tee off its your first comp, and ask them not to be afraid to tell you if you've got something wrong. Don't be frightened to NR if your score is going horrendously south - it'll take the pressure off if you're looking at a cricket score.

And just go out and enjoy it.

dronfield

Visit site
Hi
20 odd years ago i was playing in a foursomes comp at Woodhall Spa, with a coleague from our organisation that i had never met before and was a good golfer.
On the back of a birdie hole where i had contributed a decent approach shot, i strode onto the next tee, a par 3, full of confidence, and pomptly did a fresh air shot with a 3 wood.
My playing partner had to step onto the tee and play my, still teed up ball!
Spent the rest of the round wanting the ground to swallow me up, and knowing my colleague must be wondering what he had done to deserve this.
Nothing you do in your comp can be as bad as that, so just enjoy the round.
Rich

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Resurrecting an old thread...

Same as the OP, it’s my first ever comp tomorrow. Absolutely bricking it and have thought of nothing else all week! If I can get my first tee shot away I’ll be fine, Problem is it’s over water so I’m debating whether to hit my usual drive or play safe with an iron to make sure I get over! I’ve gone in the water once since joining.

As well as the fear factor, I can’t wait to get out there, very excited!

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Same as the OP, it’s my first ever comp tomorrow. Absolutely bricking it and have thought of nothing else all week! If I can get my first tee shot away I’ll be fine, Problem is it’s over water so I’m debating whether to hit my usual drive or play safe with an iron to make sure I get over! I’ve gone in the water once since joining.

#15 above gives spot-on advice..... I'd be taking a 3 wood (my usually 'safe' club) on the 1st tee. Let us know how it goes. Good luck (y)

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site

no whack it with the driver, nothing worse than taking a shorter club for safety then knobbing it anway:LOL:(y)

Last edited by a moderator: