First 18 in 2 Years

Nick_Toye

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Managed to finally get my first 18 in since 2 years ago, and before that I hadn't played for 10 years.

So as you can imagine, fairly rusty. First drive went about 5 yards, but I kept going. Managed to get a Par 4 in as well which was quite satisfying.

Notes that I made mentally were that my driving was the problem, very rarely did I hit the fairways to give myself a better chance of hitting the greens in regulation, and this was down to me struggling to keep me head down.

My pitching and putting were very good and most definitely my strongest points of the day.

So any tips on how I can drive more accurately or how I can keep my damn head still and down.

Also note that I don't have the full equipment yet, in that I don't have any suitable golf shoes.

Flarkey

Club Champion
Visit site
Mate, I am the same. I have played just 2 rounds each year in the last 10, after playing regularly during my late teens/early twenties.. .

in my second round of this year I was the same with my drives as you. Slice after slice after slice. And i think this was due to me trying to leather the ball into oblivion.

I am now trying to play more regularly and become a member of a club nearby. My main goal is to get consistent drives so that they end up on the fairway. from there i give myself a good chance of making greens in regulation. and if i improve my putting... well who knows how I could play.

Nick_Toye

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Well lad I was playing with today who is not much further than me in terms of skills, doesn't recommend going to the range that often.

I think a good drive is the backbone of your game. It puts you in the right place on the fairway, which gives you the perfect opportunity to hit the greens, and my pitching is very good.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I think it's easier to think about maintaining your spine angle rather than keeping your head down, providing your address position is good to start with.

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
You definately need a good pair of golf shoes with proper grip,this will help stabalize your bottom half.Also as you havnt played for a while try leaving your driver in the bag for a while until you start hitting your irons and woods better,the driver can be the most destructive club in the bag.

chris661

Money List Winner
Visit site
Last sunday in our monthly medal I hit 4 fairways still managed to come in with a net 69(off 12). More important IMO than good driving, is a solid short game. However as Homer was saying you wont go far wrong getting a lesson and taking it from there.

PS when I was having trouble lifting my head my pro said to watch Lee Westwood and fashion myself on that to get the feeling of staying down for a lot longer