Finger blister

mashleyR7

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
A friend of mine who's just taken up the game has just shown me his hand with a nasty looking blister on his ring finger towards the bottom just underneath the knuckle. He asked what can cause this but I'm not sure, any ideas?

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
A friend of mine who's just taken up the game has just shown me his hand with a nasty looking blister on his ring finger towards the bottom just underneath the knuckle. He asked what can cause this but I'm not sure, any ideas?

A friend of yours Ash, with blistered fingers, not likely to be golf related ! :whistle:

mashleyR7

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Please, enough of the rubbish jokes. This guys is new to our lovely sport and the more mates I get playing the better for me :)
Lets try get a real answer so I can cure his hand for him.

mashleyR7

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I thought it was gripping to tight so told to be aware of this. He's literrally just taken up the game, shooting 75's round a par 32 9 hole course so prob doesn't know what a pro is. I've never experienced blister from golf before so was at a loss to what it could be.

virtuocity

Tour Winner
Visit site
I suffered horribly from these when I started last year. Of course it's due to gripping to tightly but you can't ask a newbie to grip lightly. Why? Cos he will be tense, nervous, scared of hitting someone on the head, topping or duffing the ball etc. Two gloves will help but not as much as practising whilst having a sore finger will. The pain stopped me from gripping too tightly.

If all else fails, tell him to breathe in on the backswing and exhale on the downswing. It's then impossible to be tense.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
have you ever seen a pen pusher / office jockey use gardening tools without gloves. its the exact same thing.

hands will toughen up over time. rory mcilroy posted up some blister pics on twitter after his off season break. its quite common.

Vice

Head Pro
Visit site
I had the same thing using an interlocking grip, it seemed like the glove was rubbing against it - changed to an overlap solved the issue for me.

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
its not gripping too tightly as there is movement, the clubs moving in his hands therefore friction, he needs his grip checked properly and/or maybe he has lovely soft hands that need a bit of toughening. Grips might be too rough for his skin as well.

Most golfers have old hard calluses from the same thing

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
I have firm skin at the base of my ring finger and under the knuckle aboveas my wedding ring rubs on these areas when holding and swing the golf club :lol:

Not sure if this helps or not.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
its not gripping too tightly as there is movement, the clubs moving in his hands therefore friction, he needs his grip checked properly and/or maybe he has lovely soft hands that need a bit of toughening. Grips might be too rough for his skin as well.

Most golfers have old hard calluses from the same thing

If I hadn't churned out a "rubbish" joke this is what I'd have said