Finding your distance/range

Mark mizuno

Medal Winner
Visit site
I was just sat here wondering. Is there anywhere that you can go and get you clubs tested for distance.
The reason for my asking is that ppl say you should hit ten balls and go off the average and then take the shortest hit and the longest hit to find you range with each club.
Now I find that a good idea ,but hard to really do with any accuracy, and obvious time and place to do it.
If there is then great. If not what a good idea to offer this service.
When you go for a club fitting I believe a good supplier does give you all the trajectory/ spin etc.
but I had my clubs a few years ago now and although I have a good idea of what to use I would love to know my range in an accurate sense.

Regards

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
The clubfitter I got my irons for allowed me a follow up session on the launch monitor to do a full gap test on my clubs, allowed me to have a full set of yardages for my clubs which I have also checked when out on course using a laser, makes committing to the shot far easier :)

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
...........although I have a good idea of what to use I would love to know my range in an accurate sense.

Regards

I don't understand the difference - 'my range' is the distance I find the pitchmark to repair it in terms of carry, do it enough times and you have your accurate average. Even if you don't hit the green, if you see it land just short of the green a quick glance at the DMD and you have your carry with that club in those conditions.

It's not rocket science - the hard bit is the consistent striking!!!

Mark mizuno

Medal Winner
Visit site
I don't understand the difference - 'my range' is the distance I find the pitchmark to repair it in terms of carry, do it enough times and you have your accurate average. Even if you don't hit the green, if you see it land just short of the green a quick glance at the DMD and you have your carry with that club in those conditions.

It's not rocket science - the hard bit is the consistent striking!!!
not helpful

Wolfman

Tour Rookie
Visit site
not helpful

I think what we are trying to say is this is something you learn to feel while on the course

For me this has two issues, knowing approx. how far each club will travel but also

how far is the next shot, for me I always use my S3 gps as my distance perception is poor so the gps helps alt

No good knowing how far you hit each club if you don't know how far the distance is before hand on the course

Going to a range using range balls and their markers will not help much, only playing the course will teach you

Next you learn about wind and air conditions that effect the ball flight and distance !!

Mark mizuno

Medal Winner
Visit site
I think what we are trying to say is this is something you learn to feel while on the course

For me this has two issues, knowing approx. how far each club will travel but also

how far is the next shot, for me I always use my S3 gps as my distance perception is poor so the gps helps alt

No good knowing how far you hit each club if you don't know how far the distance is before hand on the course

Going to a range using range balls and their markers will not help much, only playing the course will teach you

Next you learn about wind and air conditions that effect the ball flight and distance !!
Now that's helpful

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
not helpful

sorry - but I stand by it as valid.

if your 'range' as you describe it is larger than 10 yards then it's pointless to do anything except consider the club you feel comfortable with for the actual distance; do consider whether long or short is the better miss, if either, but sadly most inland courses in the UK are safer short - there may be bunkers but behind the greens simply aren't playable areas on far too many courses.

Wolfman

Tour Rookie
Visit site
sorry - but I stand by it as valid.

if your 'range' as you describe it is larger than 10 yards then it's pointless to do anything except consider the club you feel comfortable with for the actual distance; do consider whether long or short is the better miss, if either, but sadly most inland courses in the UK are safer short - there may be bunkers but behind the greens simply aren't playable areas on far too many courses.

This is very true and also important

You also in addition to knowing the distances should learn where and where not to land the ball, not always considered closely enough, which also brings the topic of alignment into the mix !

Most approach shots have safer less risky landing areas some have danger etc, course management will teach you

Also I think many golfers tend to under club more times than over club and then curse when it falls short of target !

Mark mizuno

Medal Winner
Visit site
I agree with all. But I was just asking if anyone does offer a gap range for my clubs as I persistently under club.
I haven't got a range finder or anything like that and just wanted to help myself a little knowing my average length per club. This will then help me as I do go on different courses a lot.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I agree with all. But I was just asking if anyone does offer a gap range for my clubs as I persistently under club.
I haven't got a range finder or anything like that and just wanted to help myself a little knowing my average length per club. This will then help me as I do go on different courses a lot.

I would say any clubfitter who has a launch monitor could be persuaded to help in exchange for a few quid...

stevelev

Journeyman Pro
www.ecclestonparkgolf.co.uk
I would say any clubfitter who has a launch monitor could be persuaded to help in exchange for a few quid...

You will find many clubfitters offer there launch monitors for hire per half hour in addition to using them to fit. Just ask them to set it up so it reflects a calm day at around 15degree celcius. Then you just need to take more or less club dependant on weather conditions. But as others have said it is best to do all this on the course. It may take longer to figure out your yardages but it will help you learn about the conditions affecting the flight and carry of shots. On hot dry days you will get more roll so would possibly use less club, land well before where you want to finish..........When its very wet cold the opposite as you will stop quickly so will need to land closer to destination.

Whatever way you choose if your distances are not consistent it will be better to spend the time working on consistency.