Finding a Pro for lessons

aaajjj7589

Visit site
I’ve got a pro who I’ve had a lesson with (I’m in Kent) and he seems a lovely chap. It was my first ever lesson as I’m new to the game and he picked up on one thing I need to correct.

My question is; Is there a particular site we can view to find and read reviews of pros in our local area so we can get lessons from a good coach?

My dad has had lessons and the lessons have done nothing for his game whatsoever with his coach - not even a slight bit of improvement.

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
I’ve got a pro who I’ve had a lesson with (I’m in Kent) and he seems a lovely chap. It was my first ever lesson as I’m new to the game and he picked up on one thing I need to correct.

My question is; Is there a particular site we can view to find and read reviews of pros in our local area so we can get lessons from a good coach?

My dad has had lessons and the lessons have done nothing for his game whatsoever with his coach - not even a slight bit of improvement.

How much time has your dad spent practising what the coach told him?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
The reality is some pro's will work well for a player but not with another. A good fit helps. Word of mouth is usually the best option, you need to ask around.

In terms of your dad, he needs to try someone else to see if that helps. Something to bear in mind, my FiL has had lessons with just about every pro in Northumberland. Not a one has improved his game, he doesn't rate any of them ?. None are at fault, he doesn't listen to the entirety of what they say, he ignores their advice and goes back to what he has been doing wrong, but feels comfortable with, for the last 30 years. Has your dad put into action what he has been told in the lessons?

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

Not sure a site with it on but you will find a few reviews and recommendations on here but it really is a personal thing. Do you get on with the pro, does he communicate in a way that you understand and can then makes the required changes, do you practise enough to make sure you ingrain what youre taught. for me I would phone the pro youre thinking of seeing and have a chat to see if you get on. Do you want stats, do you want video etc or do you want a more old school approach where the pro watches and helps based on his eye

Expect if you give a more specific location in Kent theres a few on here that will be able to give their thoughts on a few of the local options

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
Agree it’s a personal match, but also you have to be willing to put the time in.

I have seen a few coaches in my area, following suggestions on here. All good coaches with proven records, but now committed to the one I felt most comfortable with

aaajjj7589

Visit site
How much time has your dad spent practising what the coach told him?
He’s no further on after starting to play 18 months ago. Whether it’s him or the coach I don’t know - my question was whether there’s a place to review amd find a coach in the same way you’d review TripAdvisor for example.

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
He’s no further on after starting to play 18 months ago. Whether it’s him or the coach I don’t know - my question was whether there’s a place to review amd find a coach in the same way you’d review TripAdvisor for example.

That was the question, but the way you enforced the no improvement suggested that he isn’t happy with the coach. If you don’t put the work in it doesn’t matter how good the coach is. If your dad is putting in lots of practise then it could well be the coach.

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
I switched to my current pro after attending a short game workshop he ran last year. My pro then had to cut down hours as he is concentrating on the store and it was a straight forward switch with me.

The pro at my club has positive reviews dating back as far as the internet started, but I don’t like (didn’t like) the range there so I stay in Silvermere for coaching, but I can now practice irons closer by.

aaajjj7589

Visit site
Where in Kent ?

Whos the pro ?
Kingsnorth at Ashford my Dad has his lessons. I go for mine at Gravesend and as I said the small tip I’ve had so far has worked and I’m looking forward to some more lessons in the new year.

I recently bumped into someone and they mentioned someone called Nick Olson so I was wondering whether my Dad could try him.

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
that's a fair whack to go for a lesson, is that at Thong Lane ?

Never heard of Nick Olson, where does he teach.

Chris d on here had lessons at Kingsnorth, might be worth asking him.

Last edited:

gary996

Visit site
Defo work out what you’re wanting from a lesson and go from there. I personally want to see a video of my tendencies and get a feel for how I better it. Also a big fan of trackman. Couple of lads I play with hate the technical stuff and want someone different.
One mate has seen about 10 coaches now and never really practices what he’s told. He scores the same as ever. I have kept with one coach for 2 years now and am only starting to see scoring improvements despite my swing being a lot better. Ie stick with it and don’t expect instant results.

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If you decide to try someone else, I’d recommend Paul page at princes park in dartford.

There’s a chap in Tonbridge though that is really excellent (in my opinion); Craig Sutherland who teaches out of Poult Wood. Probably no good for your location but he’s excellent and everyone I know that has seen him agrees.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I have never seen a website where professionals are listed (and perhaps even rated). Maybe someone is missing a nice litter earner.

I have always found word of mouth a powerful recommendation and that is how I got to know about the guy I use as a lot of my playing partners had been to him and thought he was good. It has to be a two way street though and you need to find one that can impart the information in a way you understand and retain and is open that you can ask questions to about the changes and go back to easily after a lesson if the changes aren't firing.

The only two coaches I think are Kent way (and stand to be corrected) are Paul Foston - who I had an excellent lesson with at the London Club and the stuff he gave me to take away made a difference and Danny Maude who I have been following online for a few months and again has given me some nuggets (especially the short game) that are working

aaajjj7589

Visit site
that's a fair whack to go for a lesson, is that at Thong Lane ?

Never heard of Nick Olson, where does he teach.

Chris d on here had lessons at Kingsnorth, might be worth asking him.
I don’t live in Ashford. Yes Thong Lane I go to - where the Toptracer is.

Thanks everyone for your input.