Finally Changed my Driver

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Following advice from my Pro I have been looking to change my driver to one with a lower loft (13 degree down to 10.5). Have not had the funds until recently and was determined not to blow another £200 on a big stick. Was also loathe to change as, whilst not the longest of clubs, my old driver was very straight.

Saw my pro on Friday evening and was offered last years Nike SQ Sumo (the non square one) for £100.00. Took it out for a bit of a hit and fell in love with it. It is as straight as my old driver but has put a few much needed yards onto my drives. Played 2 rounds with it at the weekend as was nearly driving the green on a couple of par 4s. OK some of that was down to the weather conditions but still.

End result is that I have found a very good club at a bargain price.

barb

Head Pro
Visit site
Well done
Isn't it lovely when you get a new toy and it works :cool: and it certainly sounds like it has already improved your game, weather or not, enjoy it ;)
Barb

HTL

Tour Winner
Visit site
What’s the sound like? A bloke next to at the range was hitting one and it sounded horrific, not as bad as the new Cobra driver but very bad.

D

Deleted member 1147

I think it's vital you are happy with your driver - it's all about confidence IMHO.

Funnily enough when I bought my Calloway I tried several top end drivers at the Belfry including the Nike.

I expected to like it as I'd had an Ignite beforehand (regular shaft was to whippy). But the Nike was terrible for me clubhead speed was 10mph less than with the Calloway & Titleist D2(?).

Just goes to show how different we all are in terms of equipment suiting us!

D

Deleted member 1147

I've got the 9.5 degree, neutral head, with a stiff Fujikura shart (as far as I remember anyway).

Makes a strange sound but flies pretty straight most holes.

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
9.5 degree......if you've been playing a while, would you say this loft is easier to use these days (with low c.o.g. and MOI)?

I'm guessing GB, you ended up with a 10.5?

benny

Head Pro
Visit site
I used to use a 7.5 degree but this was a bit wild. Never had any problems with my old 8.5 Titleist 975 before all this MOI came along. A decent swing can utilise a 9.5 driver with no problems.

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
Gill dont you think the FT-5 is the best sounding driver out there! I do anyway.

Glad you found a decent driver GB, so good when you get somethin that works consistently.

Enjoy.

D

Deleted member 1147

It sounds great - but different to anything I've noticed before!

I think, and this may sound daft, it sounds like it hits the ball along way!

D

Deleted member 1147

9.5 degree......if you've been playing a while, would you say this loft is easier to use these days (with low c.o.g. and MOI)?

I found that with any less loft there was too much risk of not getting square on impact - years ago I had a 7.5 Great Big Betha which either went a mile straight, or, low, left, and short!

Ken_A

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I changed my SUMO - and have struggled from it- nothing just felt right. Bought a G10 over the weekend and I am happy enough with it -but if I am honest the SUMO was as good - plus I loved the sound of it.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Yeah, ended up with a 10.5 with a regular flex shaft and got a midsize grip fitted for nowt. The sound is fine on the course when you hit the sweet spot but sounds a bit weird on off centre hits. Also does echo around the range but I found that to be the case with my old driver as well.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Have just changed from an 11 degree Callaway Big Bertha to a 10.5 Cleveland Hi Bore XLS so not much change in loft but the new club does make a racket especially in the confines of the driving range. Not too fussed though as it is going straight and long (well relatively for me)

Had to say I tried the G10 on more than one occasion and it was eventually down t a three horse race with the G10, Cleveland and Taylor Made Burner.

I kept hitting big fades and slices with the Burner so that went early and in the end the only reason I choice the Cleveland was the deal I got and the fact that it flew slightly lower which suits me at my course as we have several long holes where the prevailing wind is always into your face.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Was tempted by a Cleveland myself. Most of my group have Hi-Bore XLS and they seem a good club. The Nike just edged it for me.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I did try it but I got rid of it early in my selection process. It is more of an old style driver shape and although I hit it pretty well it didn't suit my eye and as we know confidence with the big dog is paramount

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
Yes i think this is the reason i cast it aside, tbh there wasnt much difference in how i hit it compared to the FT-5, but i liked the look of the FT-5 alot more so this gave me confidence and on bad days this is gonna help out alot more!