Final Year University Survey

alex97

Visit site
Hi all,
I am currently in my final year at the University of Leeds and am doing a project on injuries in golf caused by wayward golf balls - such as the high profile incident at the Ryder Cup earlier this year! I have a quick survey (3 mins) and if you would be able to fill it out for me, regardless of how often you watch/play, it would be a massive help.
https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/2THFCJR
Thanks!
Alex

ArnoldArmChewer

Tour Winner
Visit site
Just completed this for you, the only relevant question asked (thoughts on protective clothing, audible warning etc) I really wanted to put none of the above but the survey wanted an answer. I am not sure where your going with this and whether its 'aimed' (excuse the pun) at spectators or players. Accidents happen in sports and life in general, I don't believe golf to be a particularly dangerous sport if its approached with a bit of common sense.

But good luck anyway.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Completed. My own opinion is that similar to Arnold's. Every hard ball sport carries a risk as a player. Same as a spectator. Manage the viewing locations would be more effective than wrapping spectators up in protective gear.

Good luck with your degree

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Done. Warning or Tracking - nope - can't see a situation where it could be of much benefit in preventing injury. Protective clothing. Nope - don;t want any golf club getting the idea that they have to insist players wear a hard hat as a risk mitigation.

Golf is in fact quite a dangerous sport - but the rules of etiquette and other rules of general care and consideration for and towards others are designed to minimise that risk.

I was witness earlier this year to a near very serious injury incident. It was still bad enough. A playing partner was hit on the back of the head by a tee shot hit from at most 10yds from him. It hit him on the back of the head just about the only place that avoided serious injury - it still nearly knocked him out and he was badly concussed.

That is as close to a very serious injury I have witnessed in 45+ yrs of playing - and I've never seen anything like it before and hope I will never again. Only him wearing a hard hat would have reduced the pain and very serious injury he only just avoided.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Done. Never seen or encountered an incident except one where I was hit, although 'fore' was called and I could see the ball for the first half of its flight

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site
How dangerous is golf compared to other mainstream sports? I'm sure there will be more injuries in sports such as cycling, horse riding, running etc.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
How dangerous is golf compared to other mainstream sports? I'm sure there will be more injuries in sports such as cycling, horse riding, running etc.

Not very. But you can still suffer serious injury or death as a direct result of carelessness or inattention (bit like watching St Johnstone :( )

sev112

Tour Winner
Visit site
Rugby, the players deliberately kick the ball in the direction of the crowd
Cricket, they hit very hard small balls deliberately in the direction of the crowd

I can’t help thinking this is not a golf issue, it is a legal matter because it applies in a variety of ways, but as a spectator and promoter of an event , there needs to be guidance what a reasonable court would expect