Films

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Dune.

What. A. Film. Extraordinarily epic, stylistically and tonally perfect. Huge in scope, authentic and visually transformative of Bruce Pennington’s original book cover illustrations amongst many other SF visual references. Need to see it again immediately and am desperate for Part 2 but it’s an absolute masterpiece of cinema.

Worth noting I hate the book but think the universe of Dune belongs on screen. It’s finally been done right.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Me and the boy had a food movie day yesterday.

Went to the cinema to see the new bond. I've never been a particular fan of James Bond movies. But I really enjoyed No Time to Die.

Then in the evening we watched Dumb and Dumber. It's still hilarious, and the boy enjoyed it as much as I did.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Went to see Dune this morning, it was honking down, perfect for the cinema. Really enjoyed it. Game of Thrones meets Star Wars. I haven't read the book but there was no problem following what was happening. Strong performances from all of the cast, no weak links. Bring on part 2 please.

Incidentally, don't wait to see this on TV, it's a film for the big screen.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
We saw Venom 2 at the weekend. Good fun. Kind of cartoonish humour, a little cringe at times but mostly good. I think if it was a lesser actor than Tom Hardy playing the lead role it might not be as good, he carries it well. And Woody Harrelson hamming it up as the villain is always good.

Oh, we also watched Star Trek again last night, it was on TV. Seen it before but didn't remember some parts of it (I've seen the second one a few times but this one only once before I think). It's great, I think they casted the new generation really well. I particularly enjoy Karl Urban as Bones.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
We watched a few old films which I had wanted to watch but never got around to them.
  • Heat
  • Michael Clayton
  • The Wind That Shakes The Barley
All good films and all different from each other.
I also treated myself to watching Little Shop of Horrors again. A fun film with great performances, funny lines and great songs.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
Shows different views on films mate, I loved it but then I did enjoy the books as well and can't wait till the next one ??????
I think it's also what people are used to these days. There seems to be a plethora of crash, bang, shoot, chase, repeat films. I like the slower ones you have to think your way through. A film like Lawrence of Arabia is an absolute classic but with long periods of very little action. But they work. The appearance of Omar Sharif as Sherif Ali is one of the classic entrances of any character in film history. It's slow, deliberate and riveting. No noise, no fanfare, just the gradual coming into focus of a man on a camel.

Patster1969

Assistant Pro
Visit site
We saw Venom 2 at the weekend. Good fun. Kind of cartoonish humour, a little cringe at times but mostly good. I think if it was a lesser actor than Tom Hardy playing the lead role it might not be as good, he carries it well. And Woody Harrelson hamming it up as the villain is always good.

Oh, we also watched Star Trek again last night, it was on TV. Seen it before but didn't remember some parts of it (I've seen the second one a few times but this one only once before I think). It's great, I think they casted the new generation really well. I particularly enjoy Karl Urban as Bones.
I liked the ST reboots way more than the SW sequels and I wasn't really a Star Trek fan previously

Springveldt

Visit site
Eternals. One of the poorer Marvel ones if I’m honest. Seemed to drag on at nearly 2 hours 40 minutes long.

@Lord Tyrion 10 other people in the screening with me and my daughter at 21:35 on opening night. Honestly, that Vue has to be losing so much money.

Springveldt

Visit site

Thought Venom 2 wasn’t as good as the first but Harrelson was excellent. Didn’t seem like there was much of a story then just a fight at the end.