Films

Pathetic Shark

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Finally got round to watching A Quiet Place. Really superb idea for a story. Not exactly sure about the final minute as to whether the plan worked or not but I could see why they ended it that way. Just a really great thriller.

Pathetic Shark

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I love it when you watch an old film and see someone who has since become much more famous, and you never remembered them being in that film. I can't think of any examples now though.

Here's a good one - Coming to America. In the news again because they are doing a sequel. The scene in the barber's shop where Eddie Murphy plays the white guy as well as the barber. The kid getting his hair cut is Cuba Gooding Jr.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Watched The Mule last night, nothing special imo, then followed it with Vice. No difficulty in working out it was the same director as The Big Short as the formula is exactly the same. Again, okay but nothing special imo, not quite sure what all the fuss is about.

U

User62651

Watched a new one on netflix called Polar. Quite a good hitman caper but defo not for the squeamish.

With a bizarre OTT turn from Matt Lucas of Little Britain fame as prime bad guy, thought I was watchng Little Britain at times!

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I don't get the love for Black Panther? Oscar nominated and got a SAG award last night. I thought the film was cr4p. Perhaps I was in a really bad mood that day.
Yeah that was proper rubbish. Michael B Jordan was excellent, and his performance was the only thing that almost saved that movie. I don't know if the Black Panther character is supposed to be this way, but I find Chadwick Boseman's portrayal of him to be so bland and insipid. Definitely one of the worst additions to the Marvel collection.

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
I don't get the love for Black Panther? Oscar nominated and got a SAG award last night. I thought the film was cr4p. Perhaps I was in a really bad mood that day.

I usually watch all the Oscar nominated films but this year the selection looks really poor. Vice gets terrible reviews on RT for instance.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Yeah, I thought the same. A load of drivel.
And Venom was just as bad.
It was not the best in the Marvel stable but nowhere near as bad as Venom.

If Black Panther is awards worthy then the original Iron Man, Captain America:Winter Soldier and a few others should have cleared up in previous years.

That said, if Spiderman: Enter the Spiderverse does not get best annimation then it will be a travesty

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I quite liked Venom for entertainment value (possibly helped that I like Hardy), but there was one particular storyline element that completely ruined it really.
Basically it's when Venom (the actual parasite) completely changes character based on essentially nothing, and decides that instead of destroying the world he's now going to stop his mate and save it. Why??

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
What was your opinion on each of the other nominations for best animation?

Incredibles 2 and Ralph Breaks the Internet, both OK but typical sequels with neither matching up to the original. Will watch Isle of Dogs this week as it is now on Sky. Not seen the last entry. I only made my comment because, as a fan of the genre, I thought that Spdierman was one of the best comic book movies ever regardless of being animated.

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
I quite liked Venom for entertainment value (possibly helped that I like Hardy), but there was one particular storyline element that completely ruined it really.
Basically it's when Venom (the actual parasite) completely changes character based on essentially nothing, and decides that instead of destroying the world he's now going to stop his mate and save it. Why??

It's called having poor writers who knock out garbage, ten a penny story lines 😛

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site

There are precedents in the comic book for the change that you suggest (not easy to describe without spoilers) but do make such a change in one film with no explanation is not great

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
There are precedents in the comic book for the change that you suggest (not easy to describe without spoilers) but do make such a change in one film with no explanation is not great
Yeah, it was like they needed to make him have a change of heart for the film's story arc but didn't give themselves enough time to give any logical reason for it. Totally ruined the film with one bit of lazy writing really.