Fighting a hook!

JT77

Tour Winner
Visit site
Ok, so, after spending a good chunk of time fighting a hook at the start of last year, and working on hitting a controled fade, I now feel like I am back to square 1!! I realise that it is early days in the year, and I have not played much, but I feel like I am banging my head against a wall.
I am not sure if it is because I have changed my irons or not. I am hitting a nice draw 50% of shots at the range, but the rest are pull hooks, and are doing my chuffing head in!
It feels like I am swinging around myself, which is what i had prviously, and I know i have to increase the width of my swing, take it back farther and not snap it up like i used to, i just thought i had sorted it,and now its back!!!

AAARRRRGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!

Sorry for venting, but thanks, feel a bit better.....

:)

Any tips or drills that can help, I have a few but always open to new ideas, cheers

stevek1969

Money List Winner
Visit site
Ok, so, after spending a good chunk of time fighting a hook at the start of last year, and working on hitting a controled fade, I now feel like I am back to square 1!! I realise that it is early days in the year, and I have not played much, but I feel like I am banging my head against a wall.
I am not sure if it is because I have changed my irons or not. I am hitting a nice draw 50% of shots at the range, but the rest are pull hooks, and are doing my chuffing head in!
It feels like I am swinging around myself, which is what i had prviously, and I know i have to increase the width of my swing, take it back farther and not snap it up like i used to, i just thought i had sorted it,and now its back!!!

AAARRRRGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!

Sorry for venting, but thanks, feel a bit better.....

:)

Any tips or drills that can help, I have a few but always open to new ideas, cheers

Ditto mate was at the range tonight with gcd and had been hooking my driver badly ,we recorded it on camera and my feet and hips were miles closed even tho i thought they weren't using my alignment sticks gcd lined me up then i hit some balls giving a better shape.

I'm no expert but on your follow thru instead of coming thru at 12 o clock try to exagerate it to come thru at 1 o clock it works mate honest.

JT77

Tour Winner
Visit site
Thanks steve, that is one of my drills, I am thinking that the few extra pounds from christmas aint helping either! lol

Was trying to get my take away more consistant and smoother on the way back, and like you say aiming for 1 o'clock going through, some shots were great, but the bad ones were really bad!

stevek1969

Money List Winner
Visit site
I know what you mean James my alignment was miles out but seeing it on camera and working on that drill i got a nice wee draw back,give it a go mate you'll get it back in no time

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Had two faults causing my hook;

Grip- was really strong with both hands, managed to fight that but in my opinion that is the hardest thing to cure.

Swing plane- it was pointed out ghat I was flat on takeaway and high on follow through. I found the best thing is at the range get an empty ball bucket abd place it about a foot behind your right foot but online with your feet. If you swing flat your always hig the bucket normally on take away. Also at the top of the back swing check your hands , if you have swung flat their be more level with your shoulders the steeper take away will leave the club closer to your head so to speak

JT77

Tour Winner
Visit site
Thanks Steve, I went to the range today and was striking it well, still the odd pull, but def better, the aiming for 1 o'clock helped me focus on something else and I just lined up and swung, the ball came off much better.
OS, my grip is fine, but I have a very flat swing plane anyway, tried getting back to where i was before the end of the year hitting a fade with a slightly more upright swing, I felt much better today, maybe yesterday was just a blip........lol

stevek1969

Money List Winner
Visit site
Thanks Steve, I went to the range today and was striking it well, still the odd pull, but def better, the aiming for 1 o'clock helped me focus on something else and I just lined up and swung, the ball came off much better.
OS, my grip is fine, but I have a very flat swing plane anyway, tried getting back to where i was before the end of the year hitting a fade with a slightly more upright swing, I felt much better today, maybe yesterday was just a blip........lol

Glad to hear it mate,keep it up,sometimes its something small that puts everything out.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I tend to get the hooks if my tempo is out and I get the arms trapped inside on the way down. The only way to try and square the club is to flip the wrists. Found the best way to cure it was to make sure the feet were turned out at address and work on a much shorter (for me) swing and a smoother rhythmn to let everything synchronise

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
I had a few things going on apparently, all pretty simple for someone else to spot but that's the problem isn't it - you can't see it yourself.

basically, getting trapped on the inside and not getting right through. it came down to keeping the left arm straighter for longer both in the backswing and the follow-through