Few questions

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Depends on the course I would imagine. If it's a tight parklands course then it's easy to lose balls.

Yeah but the number of shots lost by having a gameplan that loses less balls is fewer than a gameplan that loses a lot of balls, there will be a tipping point but it is something worth looking at I bet.

Myblueheaven

Visit site
Yeah but the number of shots lost by having a gameplan that loses less balls is fewer than a gameplan that loses a lot of balls, there will be a tipping point but it is something worth looking at I bet.

If i look at where the majority of balls are lost its from the tee, mainly driver, even tho I feel I hit the driver well on the whole, if I lose the plot with hit 5 times per round its costing me or putting me into trouble.
So the next time i play im going to leave the driver at home and try a different approach. See if that lowers my scores.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
1. If there's a 9 hole course near you, go and play there first. Failing that, 1/2 an hour at your local park, football pitch etc.
2. Always tee it up, on a low tee though.
3. Any cheapo ball will do.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
1. A couple of ‘feel’ swings looking down fairway as part of the preshot routine I do for every tee shot. Nothing additional for the 1st.
2. Always use a tee - even though our tees are in good nick
3. Pretty much whatever I pull out my bag - the only balls I carry are ones I am happy playing with...and most of these are pick-ups - they will all be at least mid-range. Apart from that I am not very fussy and my swing is going to introduce more variation to the outcome than a golf ball. If I am having a solo knock trying things out then mid-range is fine.

TreeSeeker

Assistant Pro
Visit site
1. All mental for me as i rarely arrive early enough for a warm up, stand up on the tee and just give it some, full power no holding back and watch it fly, often one of my better drives of the day.
2. I always use a tee, same consistent lie for me to duff into a bunker.
3. Starting out I went lake balls, then bought a bundle of ad333 and now a bundle of chromesofts, depending on your budget its nice to just have a consistent ball (even if just for looks)

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
If i look at where the majority of balls are lost its from the tee, mainly driver, even tho I feel I hit the driver well on the whole, if I lose the plot with hit 5 times per round its costing me or putting me into trouble.
So the next time i play im going to leave the driver at home and try a different approach. See if that lowers my scores.

If it is a strong shot don’t leave it at home, just analyse where you don’t need to use it AND where it is costing you the lost balls and shots. There are plenty of methods to assess when not to and when to use it. If you are playing the same course every week just think back and do some evidence based planning for your tee shots.

For me I am happy leaving 130 yards or less in so if the driver isnt needed to get me inside 150 yards for my approach shot then there is never a need for me to use it. I am not good enough to make the best of being closer than 130 yards, even 40 yards out can lead to the same score as being 130 out so its best for me to take the lowest risk tee shot and gamble on a good short iron than blast driver and be in wedge distance. Doing it this way vastly reduces the risk for the hole and makes bogey the worst score and takes doubles or more mostly out the equation.

D

Deleted member 21258

1) A few vigorous practise slashes with the driver, wakes up the body
2) Always use a tee
3) As you are losing loads, I wouldn't bother with new balls, just use someone old balls:D Cant remember the last time I bought new balls, always second hand ones for me.

Swango1980

Visit site
Didn’t want to make multiple threads so putt them all in one.

1st How do you warm up on the first tee ? That’s usually my most dodgy drive can really be a 50/50 and its cause its my first hit of the day. I just have 1 practice swing then go right into it.

2nd On short par 3s do you use a tee or not ? I usually always use a tee but today didn’t and think i might prefer it not sure yet.

3rd Looking for new balls, maybe loose 2/3 balls a round still. Using the decathlon inesis 100 should i move onto the inesis 500 or a different ball altogether ?
1. Sometimes go to the range and hit about 25-50 balls. Gives me a good idea what my timing is like that day, where the ball is going, and iron out any horrific shots I may have woken up with that day.
2. I use a tee. Jack Nicklaus was asked that question, and laughed before answering that of course he does, why on earth would a golfer not use that advantage? Of course, you don't wanna tee it up high as you'll probably just hit it with the top of the club face and get no compression. Tee is low, I always look on in amazement when players tee up with castle tees on par 3's (especially the red ones or higher)
3. I tend to use Callaway Chromesoft, but they are the £30-35 range for a dozen, which may not be desirable if you lose a lot (and play a lot). Golf ball is personal choice. Buy a dozen at a price you are happy with, buy different ones each time, and then you'll end up with one you like.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
1st How do you warm up on the first tee ? That’s usually my most dodgy drive can really be a 50/50 and its cause its my first hit of the day. I just have 1 practice swing then go right into it.
Well before lockdown, into the club, a pint of Tennants and a good chat with the lads. Walk out to the tee, once practice swing and away we go.
Nowadays I don't have the Tennants.

2nd On short par 3s do you use a tee or not ? I usually always use a tee but today didn’t and think i might prefer it not sure yet.
I always use a tee. Even if it just keeps the ball just at ground level, it means you have a standard ground level for strike

3rd Looking for new balls, maybe loose 2/3 balls a round still. Using the decathlon inesis 100 should i move onto the inesis 500 or a different ball altogether ?
Stick with the cheaper balls for now. Inesis produce good balls and at a decent price. Your very much early doors at the moment so no point in trying to walk before you can run. Some people use lake balls but I don't personally as I am not convinced of their consistency.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
1st How do you warm up on the first tee ? I usually do some stretching in the locker room and then spend 30-40 minutes on the practice ground starting with wedges and up to the driver then a few bunker shots, and onto the putting green for a few chips and putts.

2nd On short par 3s do you use a tee or not ? I always use a tee

3rd Looking for new balls. Depends on your budget. Something like the AD333 are a very good ball and some bargains on the older models still to be found

D

Deleted Member 1156

Always use a tee especially if it's raining, helps to keep the ball dry. Nobody likes their balls being wet.

Newnsy

Visit site
1. Time permitting i always hit 20 balls on the range, I'm not practicing i'm just trying to get the body moving, if not i will jump in the Net and hit a few balls.
2. I don't use a tee, i know i should but i am just more confident hitting it off the deck on short par 3s, we have a longer par 3 210 yards which i will tee up very low for my hybrid
3. I use Vice balls, buy them in bulk 72 balls at a time for the Pro's that works out at £2 a balls, but their distance balls or Soft balls are cheaper and a good option if you are losing a few otherwise i would go for lake balls but just choose a ball and stick with it.