Few questions

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
1) You could do some.stretches at home before you go, I do some basic yoga stretches. At the course I swing a mid iron building up tempo, some people swing 2 clubs.it's all about loosening up muscle as best a possible. We did ask the club to put up a practice net, this was refused on H&S grounds.
2) Up to you, I believe the only advantage is being able to compress the ball to get more spin.
3) When you start cheap is ok, lakeballs may be an option.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
1. Two swings and away I go :LOL:. On a good day I do some stretches of my back for 5 minutes or so, maybe whack a couple of balls in the net. Mostly what I posted first though, as do 90% of the golfers that I see. (no doubt there will be some along shortly who do a 10 minute stretch, 50 balls on the range, 15 minutes putting. Their approach is probably better to be fair)

2. Yes. It ensures a better chance of a clean connection. Pretty sure the pro's use one. If they do......................Saying that, do what suits you

3. If you are consistently losing balls than buy some Pearl / A lake balls off Ebay, pick a brand you like, or keep with the cheapest Inesis balls. You are not keeping them long enough to worry about durability or performance. Fill your boots when it comes near to Christmas and offers are flying around. Don't get worried about ball snobbery either a/ ever b/ when you are down to losing 1 a round or keeping the same ball for 18 holes (oh the pleasure from that :D)

Keep your questions coming (y)

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
1. I do some stretching - rotate back all the way left and hold for 10 seconds, then all the way round to the right, repeat a few times. Touch toes with knees a fraction bent to stretch hamstrings for 10 seconds as well. Then I do about 10 practise swings back and forth with my putter, since it's heavier than my other clubs so loosens me up a bit more. Alternatively some people just do it holding two clubs instead of one for the extra weight.

2. Always use a tee - I have short plastic ones and tee it very low at times, the ball might only be a couple of millimetres off the ground. But I saw a quote somewhere, might have been on this forum - the tee gives you a perfect lie every time, so why would not you use it?

3. What ball you use is your decision. If you still lose a few every round I would stay at the cheaper end of things - below £20 a box. At every price point there are several brands you can try out though.

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Didn’t want to make multiple threads so putt them all in one.

1st How do you warm up on the first tee ? That’s usually my most dodgy drive can really be a 50/50 and its cause its my first hit of the day. I just have 1 practice swing then go right into it.

2nd On short par 3s do you use a tee or not ? I usually always use a tee but today didn’t and think i might prefer it not sure yet.

3rd Looking for new balls, maybe loose 2/3 balls a round still. Using the decathlon inesis 100 should i move onto the inesis 500 or a different ball altogether ?

1. I do a lot of stretching pre going up to the tee I carry a foam roller and resistance bands. When I'm on the tee I usually stick to my pre shot routine, if you don't have one, try and get one that's natural to you.
  2. I use a tee. I don't think there's a right or wrong way either.
  3. As you're starting just make sure you've got enough balls in your bag. It's totally up to you and dependant on your budget. - Sorry to be vague.

jamiet7682

Visit site
Preferably id hit 25 balls at the range working up the clubs from wedge to driver, dont always have the time though so a few practice swings and away i go. Usually keep driver in the bag on the first tee and hit hybrid to keep it in play.
I dont use a tee on par 3s, its good practice for hitting irons and i need all the practice i can get.
I have inesis 100 and srixon ad333 in the bag, play inesis if any danger of losing it off the tee but defo prefer the srixon, just feel a bit softer. Not sure it has any impact on the outcome at this stage.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
1. Do a bit of stretching first, the first tee is always a bit of a shot into the unknown, just focus on finding short grass.

2. The main reason not to use a tee is to get over a mental block with one, if you don’t have the block use on but just to lift the balls a tiny bit up or you will lose spin rather than gain it.

3. Use the best balls you can afford to lose. So you don’t feel bad losing them, the last thing you want is to be tense on the tee because of your ball.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Didn’t want to make multiple threads so putt them all in one.

1st How do you warm up on the first tee ? That’s usually my most dodgy drive can really be a 50/50 and its cause its my first hit of the day. I just have 1 practice swing then go right into it.

2nd On short par 3s do you use a tee or not ? I usually always use a tee but today didn’t and think i might prefer it not sure yet.

3rd Looking for new balls, maybe loose 2/3 balls a round still. Using the decathlon inesis 100 should i move onto the inesis 500 or a different ball altogether ?

1 - I just have a good couple of minutes of turning, crouching, stretching etc. I'd say my 1st tee shot is generally pretty good these days and never my worst of the day.

2 - as Jack said, if you have the option of using a tee, why would you not?

3 - Just have a look up the right or left hand side of driving holes, 150 yards off the tee where there is a fair bit of cabbage. Every time you are out, you can make a detour and find a couple of pro v1s, chrome softs etc.

Springveldt

Visit site
1. Swing my driver like a madman and hope I don't pull something. Then smash the drive either into the trees on the left or the trees on the right, the odd time I keep it in play.
2. Yes always use a tee. Shortest par 3 is around 160 yards off the whites, so I'd rather hit a mid iron off a tee than the ground.
3. The Inesis Tour ball gets good reviews, I'd have no qualms playing it. Also getting a premium ball off eBay that is Grade A or better is pretty good value.

D

Deleted member 1147

1- before leaving home have a stretch. Particularly the legs and back.
When at the club get a routine; pitch shots , a few full shots with short irons, mid irons, long irons and then a few woods (20-30 ball max, and build up speed etc slowly). Then do some chipping and putting, to get a bit of feel before teeing off.
2- a tee provides a perfect lie. So use one, but don’t tee it up too high. Just have it so the ball stands just above ground level, you don’t want to be hitting the ball from the top of the iron.
3- at this point any ball will do. But something with low compression will go better than a high compression ball like a pro v. Look at Srixon soft feel or similar.

Myblueheaven

Visit site
As for the balls.... I lose 5 + per round.
I've been buying srixon soft feel, bridgestone e6 & 12, callaway supersofts all approx £18 - £20 per dozen, ive been playing properly for about 4 months, I can't get under 100 yet. I bought 48 slazenger 300 balls for £20 and I noticed no difference whatsoever to the other more fashionable brands.
I'm quickly realising throwing money at this game is silly at first. Spend your money and energy practicing and seeing improvements if you can.

Fabia999

Visit site
1 - practice net if possible or a local range if its a handicap round. I usually just rock up 5 minutes before my tee time and admit my first drive isn't gunna be the best.
2 - I do personally, either green or red plastic irons one or just as far as a wooden one will go. Keeps it off the ground and mitigates my fat shots.
3 - I first used wilson dx2 softs at around 14.99 per dozen, really recommend. My mate does the same as you and went to a local car boot sale and bought a bucket for £5. Keep an eye out when playing as you can usually find a ball or two to replace the ones you've lost. I found 2 prov1s today.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Have a look at vice golf for balls, good deals if you buy 60 at a time. Don’t bother looking at their clothing though, very expensive!

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
1. Before hitting any shot whether on the 1st tee or in the range lots of muscle stretching and body turns.
2. Why make the shot more difficult - tee always.
3. I do not know.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Carry out a stretching routine before you go to the tee box, it's really worth loosening up.

Use a tee on par threes, why not make the perfect lye for the ball but don't set it too high.

As previously mentioned, look on line for pearl grade used golf balls.

Myblueheaven

Visit site
That is a lot of shots, can you find ways to bring that down to 2-3 at worst? Is it the same shot that loses you most of the balls? Can you stop doing it?

5+ is a lot...

Well I don't mean too lol....
I play well and then I just go and my head goes.....
I can hit the drives really well for eg, 7 holes on the trott and then 1 bad drive and I cave in, its psychological i know.
I'm improving but its slow for me .

MrC

Assistant Pro
Visit site
1. When I am playing a round that matters then a few chips, putts and if I can hit 10 balls I will. Since I have got a memberships I just rock up and play when I get a chance

2. As has been said...jack said he would always use a tee so that’s what I do.

3. In terms of the ball. It makes me feel better to have a ball I think will be perceived as ok. I often hit other fairways so worry about what others think so I play the callaway super soft or Srixon AD333. It’s my issue I know but it’s the truth (to be fair I would rather use a pinnacle gold - they went for miles and were impossible to lose)