Feel vs performance?

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Ever since my first fitting in 2012, every fit has suggested r300 / px5.5 playing regular or kbs 105 / xp95 playing stiff. I’ve always opted for the stiff lite version opposed to the heavy regular side, but being a player that cannot load onto the left side at inpact fully due to an existing injury it results in a high flight.

I was recently at the range with a pal who was playing an older set of cast callaway irons with px5.5 shafts and I was hitting my normal xp95 stiff cf16’s. I thought I’d have a slap with his and while I hated the feel as it give little to no feedback, the flight was a lot flatter and more penetrative into the wind which gave around 15 yard according to the top tracer.

It’s defo got me thinking and I have a lesson booked this week to try and work on a better angle of attack ...... but...... would you play a club that you had zero feedback on but achieved better results or just club up and get on with it?

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I went from KBS tour stiff (Mizuno MP54s) to PXi 5.5s (Titleist AP2s)and the difference was amazing. KBS felt much softer but definitely a club shorter for distance.

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Did you also find a lack of feel in the px?
Yes. I still have them but they do feel dead, especially when not hit quite out of the middle. They are consistent though and any rogue balls are down to a bad swing not the shaft. I used to have some wedges with standard Project X shafts and they felt good.

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I don’t swing ultra hard with my irons and as the PXi are lightish they suit my swing better than the heavier shafts.