Favourite golfing moment

User20205

Money List Winner
Visit site
Mendies pro am thread prompted this....it may have been done before, I can’t remember :eek:
What is your favourite golfing moment??
I have 3, winning the club champs...(nett shhhh), shooting level par (around Iford bridge ;)) but my special favourite......coming back from 5 down after 9 to halve vs Richart & top of the flop with swingalot @ RSG. The look on rich’s little face after the putt on 18 :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Playing The Ailsa with my son this year. We smiled all the way round. The 9th in particular, a special hole, in a strong wind and then leading to a break at the lighthouse halfway house. Just fabulous.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I won a GM comp to play a 5 hole scramble at Bearwood with MikeH and David Howell years ago
Started on the 10th and finished on the par 3 over the water 14th.
Howeller had engineered the drives so that Mike had to take his on this hole...he was a tad nervous!
Made the carry and the ball settled in a hollow at the back of the green - so we're chipping down towards the water.
Mike's went swimming, Howeller's got tired and stopped halfway for a rest and our other player got it on the green but nowhere near.
My shot.
Played the best chip I've ever hit and the ball came to rest 12 inches from the hole - 25 odd yards up and over a rise, onto a downslope with a lake behind.
I can honestly saw that Howeller's jaw was near his knees!
Knocked it in for the par that won us the comp!

D

Deleted member 15344

I don’t really have one specific one but a good collection of moments and they mainly revolve around forum meets - the first trip to the south coast was brilliant , the day at Littlestone then the night in the Kings Head is a night that hasn’t been beaten on a forum trip and then the next day at RCP. Then playing Hoylake with Rick and Rich plus Woodhall for the first time with Slasher , Rick and Rich. Shooting my first under par round was pretty good and then at a Society Meet last year at Camberly Heath

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
When I got back into golf and joined Norwood I asked my brother for a game. He had been a member for years. (which ended up being captains day). I played with him and an ex lady captain. I only went and won it with 42 points. It never really sunk in at the time having me name on the board. That and shooting another 42 points at Sheringham this year showed that i can do it. That day it just clicked. It's not a specific golfing term I suppose but some golfers will know what I mean

D

Deleted member 21258

I think I would to say playing with son when he got his hole in one.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Too many all for different reasons to pick an all time favourite. The first time on a full 18 hole course with my dad was pretty special and I wish we'd done more golf stuff together before he passed. Plenty of great courses played, great forum meets, coming runner-up in the GM Centenary Final, winning honours board events at both clubs I was a member of.

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
Couple of standout moments
As a spectator, being in the stand on the 18th at Wentworth watching Luke Donald and Lee Westwood go to tiebreak to decide not only the BMW PGA title, but also the winner would take the position of World number 1.

As an event, it has to be watching the Ryder Cup Miracle at Medinah at Gainsborough with lots of the GM Forum with Mr Harris running an open tab , great night indeed.

As a player, shooting 3 birdies at Centurion, with Rick, Murph and Captain Ron (we won’t mention the 7 blobs)

But the best is still being able to swing a club after the last 18 months of various surgical interventions. 👍

Last edited:

User 99

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
I must be weird cause mine isn't about me, Jack holing at 17 in the 86 Masters, a shot that has stayed with me since, yes I've had a few holes in one but putt for me is unquestionably my favourite golfing moment. :love:

Fish

Banned
Visit site
My first sub 80, the last 3 holes knowing it was on were exhausting, the relief and elation afterwards was a great feeling.

Winning the H4H Trophy at Blackmoor in 2012, not only my first GM meet but the first time I’d ever played a heathland course.

My first time playing at Cooden Beach and playing with Rick, the first and start of many playing partnerships all over the country followed.

ademac

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Teeing it up with my 3 best mates at The Old Course on my 30th birthday will be hard to beat for me.
Absolutely savage wind that day saw most people walking in but we persevered and got the job done.
3 pars to finish was very satisfying too.
Great memories!

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
Really hard to pick. There are so many. One that is really high up on my list is when I had a playing lesson with Chris Fletcher at Dayhulme Park. There was a huge branch of a tree in my way, about 100 m out and Chris suggested, I'd play my hybrid. I was like "No, I can't, I'll hit that tree". He said: "No you won't. You won't reach that." I assured him I was pretty certain I would, so he said: "I'll buy you a beer if you hit that tree"

Of course I hit that tree. Quite spectacularly even, the ball jumped back 40 m or so onto the fairway. And I smuggly smiled at Chris and said: "I just need the right incentive."

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
There's a few but I think my favourite was passing my PGA playing test.
36 holes in one day.
I must have checked the card 10 times before I handed it in.

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Mendies pro am thread prompted this....it may have been done before, I can’t remember :eek:
What is your favourite golfing moment??
I have 3, winning the club champs...(nett shhhh), shooting level par (around Iford bridge ;)) but my special favourite......coming back from 5 down after 9 to halve vs Richart & top of the flop with swingalot @ RSG. The look on rich’s little face after the putt on 18 :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Fortunately I have no memory of that day. :unsure:

Days at Liverpool and Woodhall with Rick and the boys were special. Still chuckle at Slasher taking 13 out of a bunker. With his shot he had a nett 18 on the hole.

Winning Cooden centenary fourball trophy with Smiffy is definitely up there.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Partnering therod at blackmoor against Richart (I see a theme in this thread) and knocking a 6 iron next to the pin on the last for a simple bird.

Maybe not the best but a favourite it is!

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
Easy peasy.

CARNOUSTIE for my 50th. Played on my own with the wife as caddie taking pictures. Birdied the fifth with an impossible shot out of the front left bunker. Ball went straight up in the air and landed softly on the ridge and then slowly rolled down and into the hole. Oh and a awesome 8 iron on to the 13th green from the tee with 8 greenkeepers watching on from the green. (They were preparing the course for the Dunhill). As I walked up they all congratulated me on my shot!!!!!!! I thought it was going in the hole!!!! Jesus H if it had......you'd have heard the scream for miles around.

The day is fully comemorated with a 90cm x 90cm framed pictures of the round in the dining room. The wife has recently asked for it to be removed now, but I'm fighting it.

Can't think this day will ever be bettered. (Golf wise)