Favourite format?

• Thread starter Deleted Member 1156
  • Start date

What is your favourite format?

• Total voters

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
I hate the Texas Scramble format & don't like foursomes at all - my time on the course is too precious to be only playing every other shot. Fourball Betterball is a pleasant social game but if you're not playing too well or your partner's playing out of his skin you find yourself picking up a lot. Three ball or singles match play & individual stroke play suit my only child selfish nature. You're on your own with no excuse & nobody to fall back on.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Don't like it. I'm still scarred by the occasion, 38 years ago, when I was made to play foursomes round Muirfield by Sir Lawrie Barratt, partnering a 25 handicapper who was playing badly.

I had a very enjoyable mixed greensomes match last Sunday (Ladies vs Gents annual match for the new Captains). I played with the new Ladies Captain, off 15 I think. I don;t think she missed a fairway. It was really good fun deciding on the drive to take - working out who best to take second shot etc. Great fun.

But nothing like the intensity of scratch foursomes matchplay - and the sense of achievement you can get from winning a match - especially against a pair of Cat1 handicappers.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Slight difficulty in answering

I prefer singles medal in competition play

but

singles stableford in friendlies and swindles.

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
Scratch Matchplay, ind and pairs .

This is what we play in County matches and we've just had 3 very tight semi final games over the last week, lost two of them on the 18th but all played in great spirit and friendly banter .

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
I enjoy all formats, but if I play too much of one then I start yearning for another.

Some I can play more of than others, for example we only play Texas Scramble in the winter maybe 3 or 4 times a year, and that's about enough for me.
Foursomes amd Greensomes I enjoy but probably next on the list of "can play too much".

Main thing is good company, good course and good weather.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Medal. Every shot counts. Handicap on the line and the greatest test. Always far more satisfaction from making a good medal score compared to a good stableford score. Nowhere to hide in a medal where one disaster can ruin the score, whereas a stableford is one bad hole and you can get it back

Jamesbrown

Head Pro
Visit site
Medal. Every shot counts. Handicap on the line and the greatest test. Always far more satisfaction from making a good medal score compared to a good stableford score. Nowhere to hide in a medal where one disaster can ruin the score, whereas a stableford is one bad hole and you can get it back

This.

Any single qualifying competition will do fine.
Single matchplay is great for none competition rounds.
wouldnt play a team game. Not engaging for me.
I don’t pay all that money on lessons to have a pottering scramble.

User101

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site

I've always got the impression on here that most like stableford more than any other format, strangely it's the one format I dislike more than any other.

User20205

Money List Winner
Visit site
I guess probably the hardest mentally.
Honestly I’ve never played mixed foursomes, I would but I can’t find a partner who I’d be confident would last the season. The ladies @ my place a quite old :eek:
I’ve played a lot of foursomes...every week in an inter club league, I do enjoy the challenge but you need to know your partner.
To answer the question honestly....medal closely followed by match play.

Ross61

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I don’t like Texas scrambles. Socially great, golfing enjoyment poor.
The format I dislike most is Par/bogie - you are standing over a net eagle 3 footer putt and it doesn’t matter if you hole it or not.

Ectolani

Hacker
Visit site
Wheres pairs scramble matchplay - def the GOAT format!!!!!

This - if it's the same as what we play. Essentially Texas Scramble but only pairs instead of 4 per team. Means that everyone gets a shot and you can be tactical in your strategy too. Also a lot of fun making it a team sport.

Every year we go to Portugal as an 8 ball and have a Ryder Cup style 4v4 battle. 3 rounds where everyone pairs with each other and are randomly drawn against a pair from the other team, then singles on the last day. Cracking fun!

Big_G

Assistant Pro
Visit site
We have a couple of mixed foursomes comps at our club both board comps,one is a summer ko, the other a medal.

The medal can be brutal, quickest way to a divorce

D

Deleted member 15344

4BBB Matchplay- it’s good fun and also really socialable

But I’ll play any format and enjoy it