Favourite classic club

Golfnut1957

Visit site
Callaway FT3 Fusion driver. McDowell used one to win the US Open.

I had my first one about 10 years ago and decided to go back in time last December. After buying one cheap off ebay I put it up against a Callaway Rogue and a TM M5. I got nothing out of the other two that I didn't from the FT3, so it went into the bag. It is currently in my son's bag, he loves it.

Taylormade Miura forged, 300 Forged irons, 3 -PW. The clubs had the provenance and had originally been built for Raphael Jacqueline. They had Rifle 6.0 shafts were in mint condition and I actually played really well with them, even the 3 iron. I sold them:(

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Callaway FT3 Fusion driver. McDowell used one to win the US Open.

I had my first one about 10 years ago and decided to go back in time last December. After buying one cheap off ebay I put it up against a Callaway Rogue and a TM M5. I got nothing out of the other two that I didn't from the FT3, so it went into the bag. It is currently in my son's bag, he loves it.
Has he got used to the sound yet? Mine was nicknamed 'the donk'! With Callaway's first 'adjustable' hosel. Not so much adjustable as 'tailorable' as glued in to whatever setting was decided. Still got it in a bag somewhere, but it's 'incomplete' (bottom plate broke and disappeared) so non-compliant. Another purchase from the Bombsquadgolf days!
Taylormade Miura forged, 300 Forged irons, 3 -PW. The clubs had the provenance and had originally been built for Raphael Jacqueline. They had Rifle 6.0 shafts were in mint condition and I actually played really well with them, even the 3 iron. I sold them:(
Had a set of these that I liked too, though without provenance. Better than the RACs I dabbled with at similar time.

Golfnut1957

Visit site
Has he got used to the sound yet? Mine was nicknamed 'the donk'! With Callaway's first 'adjustable' hosel. Not so much adjustable as 'tailorable' as glued in to whatever setting was decided. Still got it in a bag somewhere, but it's 'incomplete' (bottom plate broke and disappeared) so non-compliant. Another purchase from the Bombsquadg.

I love the sound of it as does my mate who also owned one back then. In fact when I bought my recent one he was getting all excited and was threatening to do likewise.

As an aside. I tried to change the shaft in one once applying heat to the hosel. The face fell off.

sunshine

Visit site
I'm going with the TM R320ti driver. Just so sweet off the clubface, with the lovely trampoline effect. So good that TM brought out a new version of it in 2021.

9a8db2e548ca4deb_original.jpeg

Boomy

Visit site
Wilson TPAXVIII putter (now own 2, one in full original condition, 1 pimped)
04EBE44B-B402-43FC-B8A7-DCE856CB2E12.jpeg

Mizuno MP60 irons - loved them!
dd7bb6ee-02ad-4347-acaa-678c31576161-jpeg.40563

Mizuno Widec 5 Wood (mine pictured, still have it with steel shaft and original grip)
6B7679AE-5DB5-431D-B40E-29C661100A10.jpeg79C809C5-266C-445D-91C7-AC8584C5B3F1.jpeg

Attachments

• DD7BB6EE-02AD-4347-ACAA-678C31576161.jpeg
    DD7BB6EE-02AD-4347-ACAA-678C31576161.jpeg
    50.4 KB · Views: 97

RichA

Visit site
Really struggled with the G425 irons on the hard frosty ground yesterday morning. Only got worse when it suddenly melted and got muddy, so these 30-40 year old Mizuno Pro MS-5s will be in play tomorrow. I'm hoping that an iron that cuts into the ground rather than bouncing off it might give me a bit of a reboot.

7FD5282A-5300-419F-8554-E7C247F18B34.jpeg

The Eye2 3 and 5 woods won't be leaving the garage though. Unplayable.

DCB

Visit site
Ive got two that just cant be parted with.

An Odyssey Rossie II, bought just as these putters were taking the Seniors tour by storm in 1995-6. First putter that I used that really helped my putting improve. The black face was a revelation compared to the Ping Anser I used prior to this purchase.
and
A Tommy Armour 5 Wood, a head only marginally larger than the golf ball it is trying to hit, but a lovely small, old style, metal wood that did the business for me. Again, same era, mid 1990s, when the 844 irons were in many a top players bag.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Really struggled with the G425 irons on the hard frosty ground yesterday morning. Only got worse when it suddenly melted and got muddy, so these 30-40 year old Mizuno Pro MS-5s will be in play tomorrow. I'm hoping that an iron that cuts into the ground rather than bouncing off it might give me a bit of a reboot.

View attachment 40567

The Eye2 3 and 5 woods won't be leaving the garage though. Unplayable.
First came out in 1985, I believe.
Get yourself some wooden woods from '85 or earlier that are playable and you are a vintage golfer.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
First came out in 1985, I believe.
Get yourself some wooden woods from '85 or earlier that are playable and you are a vintage golfer.

The Pings had a rather loose graphite shaft, if I recall correctly. It needed a bit of waiting time at the top.

At one stage, I picked up a Cally Big Bertha 3 wood with a Sandvik Titanium shaft. It was quite the thing. It seemed to balance the solidness of steel with the weight of graphite and could really flight the ball. I sold it during a trial separation and regretted it for a long time after.

MarkT

GM Forum Editor
Visit site
I used to really struggle in the early days of metal woods, think it took me until the TaylorMade V-Steel to really get into them. Loved the 5-wood, couldn't really flight* the 3-wood

* get airborne

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
I still have my Ping Eye2 woods and irons and still occasionally use the irons.
I also still have my Titleist 983K driver and a Zebra putter I bought for £2.50.