Favourite classic club

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
For those of us who have been playing for a while (and may even have started with wooden woods), what are your favourite classics, and why?

Let's say clubs that are a minimum of 10 years old.

Mine would include

Mizuno Pro-Original irons. The first really good set I ever had, got them in the late 80s, a proper blade that could be very unforgiving if you caught them a bit thin or toey.

Ping Eye 2 1 iron in Beryllium Copper. Used to be fairly common even in handicapper bags. Great off the tee, a bit more challenging off the deck. Couldn't hit one the length of myself now, though.

Titleist 983K. One of the great drivers. Looked good, performed well, some pros used it for a long time after it was replaced.

Ram Tom Watson wedges. Ram used to be one of the great names in golf, and these wedges were lovely to play.

MacGregor Muirfield persimmon woods. Another formerly great name in golf. Proper classic persimmon, heavy steel shaft and needed to be hit properly, but when they were ... lovely.

Last edited:

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Original Great Big Bertha driver....
Got made redundant in '97 and used some my deal to buy one...
Transformed my driving overnight
Won many a longest drive prize in the next 3 years before a shaft breakage...was never the same after replacement
Not been really comfortable with any driver since..

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
For those of us who have been playing for a while (and may even have started with wooden woods), what are your favourite classics, and why?

Let's say clubs that are a minimum of 10 years old.

Mine would include

Mizuno Pro-Original irons. The first really good set I ever had, got them in the late 80s, a proper blade that could be very unforgiving if you caught them a bit thin or toey.

Ping Eye 2 1 iron in Beryllium Copper. Used to be fairly common even in handicapper bags. Great off the tee, a bit more challenging off the deck. Couldn't hit one the length of myself now, though.

Titleist 983K. One of the great drivers. Looked good, performed well, some pros used it for a long time after it was replaced.

Ram Tom Watson wedges. Ram used to be one of the great names in golf, and these wedges were lovely to play.

MacGregor Muirfield persimmon woods. Another formerly great name in golf. Proper classic persimmon, heavy steel shaft and needed to be hit properly, but when they were ... lovely.

i had the Pro-Originals and TP Originals and regret selling them

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
983k for me too.

I’m tempted to build myself a late 90s bag as that was the era I started playing.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Not as old as some of the ones mentioned here by the original Cleveland Halo hybrids and the original Cleveland Launcher driver.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
John Letters 1 wood, not sure of the model or year but I'd guess late 1950s early 1960s, it's a wreck but it just goes for me.

Favourite irons is like trying to pick your favourite child, but I'll pick the Slazenger STM, I like wingback designs and these have a simplicity I like.

Putter, again it's an impossible choice but today I think I'll pick the "It-Sits", another glorious looking club.

1642070763333.png1642070905780.png1642071282914.png

ADB

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I had Ram Nick Price wedges in the 80's and 90's that were nice
The Biggest Big Bertha was amazing when i got it - the sound was incredible and at 290cc seemed a huge clubface.
Lastly, my lovely Mizuno TP-9's - which were sadly sold many moons ago, but i kept the SW and still use it.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
R510TP Driver
TM V-Steel 3W
TM Rescue 3
Miura Blades
McGregor VFoil wedges
Scotty TEI3 Putter (Langer TW 1997 Masters model)

Just worked well for me! Driver apart, for a couple of reasons, and with a couple more hybrids replacing long irons, I'd be happy playing those still today!

Last edited:

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
John Letters 2 Wood. It’s not a true classic but it is a classic for me.

Thinking way back, ignoring how much I loved my Macgregor Tourney irons vintage early 70s; or my Wilson Staff Fluid Feel irons of early 80s, or indeed my gorgeous Macgregor Eye-o-Matic persimmons, all true classics, I reflect how much I loved my very inexpensive laminate JL 2 wood.

I guess I bought it around 1976 when I got the Macgregors. To that time all I had was my dad’s random collection of hickorys and brown painted steel shaft clubs of various vintages. The driver was a hickory with a shortened shaft that was a bit bent, and so I decided I needed something a little more up-to-date to go with my newly gifted irons.

It changed my golf. For the first time I could hit the ball quite a long way.

I can remember playing the SI 1 hole of East Renfrewshire where I was a member at the time, and finding that with my new 2w I could hit the ball far enough up the hill to a levellish area from where I could hit the green - previously I couldn’t get there. All of a sudden I realised that if I could par a difficult SI 1 hole then I could par every hole on the course, and the golfing world was my oyster.

I just loved that golf club, and with my Tourneys it probably changed my life.

Last edited:

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
R510TP Driver
TM V-Steel 3W
TM Rescue 3
Miura Blades
McGregor VFoil wedges
Scotty TEI3 Putter (Langer Masters model)

Just worked well for me! Driver apart, for a couple of reasons, and with a couple more hybrids replacing long irons, I'd be happy playing those still today!

The R10TP was a great driver. Considered that, but went for the 983K instead. Had one with a Fuji 757 shaft and it was very nice.

I hate to correct, but Langer used a Cameron Classic 1 (no insert) to win the 1993 Masters (and a Ping to win in 1985), later redone as a special edition Augusta Winner. Tiger was the TeI3 winner in 97.

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Back in my youth I had a Taylor Made Ti Bubble 2 driver and it was an absolute weapon with the bubble shaft (supposedly designed to reduce rotational torque or something like that) but jeez did this thing go.
About 5 years ago I picked up one for about £20 on eBay and gave it a go, holy sheerite, it was terrible by today's standards.

Still my fave from back in the day though.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
The R10TP was a great driver. Considered that, but went for the 983K instead. Had one with a Fuji 757 shaft and it was very nice.
Yep, that's the shaft that was in mine too! I've never had a Titleist Driver and only 1 Callaway.

I hate to correct, but Langer used a Cameron Classic 1 (no insert) to win the 1993 Masters (and a Ping to win in 1985), later redone as a special edition Augusta Winner. Tiger was the TeI3 winner in 97.
No problem re correction - in fact thanks!
The TEI3 was the only Scotty that ever felt comfortable for me. The Bettinardi milled ones were without the elastimor surrounding to the insert - as his CNC milling kit (his main business was apparently milling gear for other industries) could provide the tolerance level required.