Farewell Doug & Hamish - RIP

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Sad to hear on the news today that Doug Scott has passed away & Hamish MacInnes also passed recently who I only just heard about about - two of my heros. Doug was probably the finest mountaineer in a generation making many first ascents of very difficult routes, and Hamish, a magnificent climber in his own right, was essentially the father of modern mountain rescue. Many a person rescued, especially in the Scottish hills will owe their life to Hamish. For two people who were at the very sharp end of mountaineering in their prime, it was good to see they bucked the trend and their pasing was by age and natural causes rather than by tragedy in the mountains as happened to many of their contemporaries (although Doug did have his moments). RIP and may your souls forever be in the hills.

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Both heroes from my climbing days both rock & winter. The latter, in Scotland, remains one of the hardest physical tests in the UK despite the develops in equipment.
Will be rereading my Hard Rock accounts later today. Hamish on The Buckles, Raven's Gully that I 'ticked-off', in the 70's...... Doug on The Scoop, on Harris, that I stood under in amazement in '94
Well done you guys as few of your contemporaries made it, to finally go by natural causes. RIP