Fallen leaves called abnormal conditions

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Not so.
"A course must be rated as if normal midseason conditions exist. In most areas, midseason conditions with respect to fairways, length of rough, foliage and speed of the greens exist in the middles of summer."

In practice ratings are very rarely done in the UK during the period April thru September. And then only if the weather conditions are right.
eg If the greens have been cut to 6mm in early April on the day of the rating but the club states this only temporary and they would normally be at 4mm, the rating team would take this into account.

You have absolutely no sense of humour at all, have you?

Although I understand joking about your holy book might be insensitive!

Last edited:

rulie

Head Pro
Visit site
Not so.
"A course must be rated as if normal midseason conditions exist. In most areas, midseason conditions with respect to fairways, length of rough, foliage and speed of the greens exist in the middles of summer."

In practice ratings are very rarely done in the UK during the period April thru September. And then only if the weather conditions are right.
eg If the greens have been cut to 6mm in early April on the day of the rating but the club states this only temporary and they would normally be at 4mm, the rating team would take this into account.
Rating can be done at any time of the year provided midseason conditions are known.
We rated a course on Dec 31 - frozen solid but no snow on the ground.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Rating can be done at any time of the year provided midseason conditions are known.
We rated a course on Dec 31 - frozen solid but no snow on the ground.
When I was the Rating Manager for my county I was told by the EG Handicapping Manager and the senior CONGU rating expert (I can't remember her official title) that out of season ratings should only be done in exceptional circumstances with the consent of EG or if a simple change (affecting a table value) had been made to the course. I know some counties that were behind schedule with their programmes were given extra off peak time to catch up. Some courses where the county had not finished in time for WHS implementation were given a temporary rating.

D-S

Visit site
Not so.

Do you mean in April or in September, as ‘April thru September’ means April to September inclusive.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
I once played Bondhay GC near Worksop when I got back into golf. It is known for its trees and bunkers. we found four balls and lost three on the fairways playing there one autumn. I found two before I had lost one of mine, and was wondering how could that be. A small gust of wind and the leaves were blowing everywhere. It was flippin frustrating. Leaves everywhere

rulie

Head Pro
Visit site
Do you mean in April or in September, as ‘April thru September’ means April to September inclusive.
I think the line you have quoted, "In practice ratings are very rarely done in the UK during the period April thru September. And then only if the weather conditions are right." suggests that ratings are done September through April (includes December), which would seem to be in the off-season.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Sorry. Don't know why I wrote that. I meant to say "outside the period April thru September" ie not during the winter/off season.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
I think the line you have quoted, "In practice ratings are very rarely done in the UK during the period April thru September. And then only if the weather conditions are right." suggests that ratings are done September through April (includes December), which would seem to be in the off-season.
Oops. Now corrected

Reactions: D-S