Fairway Woods v Hybrids - what's the difference??

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think I need to really commit to practicing with them as the potential is there and if I'd never seen what I can do with them I'd be selling them on Ebay.

Time to get to the range and then get them out more often during practice rounds.

Dave B

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
To be honest I think half of the hype you read about hybrids is a very clever marketing ploy.

Longer clubs and lower lofts, regardless of whether they are irons hybrids or fairways are more difficult to control and strike the ball cleanly with.

Although I never had a problem off the tee, I always struggled with woods off the fairway by trying to put the ball too far forward and "sweep" the ball off the ground.

I must say that sweeping the ball off the ground is a very misleading statement because in reality you still have to hit into the back of the ball with a decending blow. In addition I also found that I had been playing the ball too far forward which is another reason why many people struggle with fairways off the deck. Putting it simply if the ball is too far forward it is difficult to achieve a decending blow to get the ball airbourne.

One of the best tips I was given was to address the ball just forward of the middle, step back several inches and then take a practice swing paying particular attention as to where the club brushes the fairway. If it is forward or behind the ball you should adjust your position accordingly to give you a clean strike into the back of the ball.

Going back to fairways one of the easiest to use and most versatile clubs in the bag is a 7 wood. Not only is it a very good go-to club for recovery shots, it is also a very good training aid and confidence builder for the 5 and 3 wood, in the same way that a 7 or 8 iron is for building you swing and confidence with iron play. How many people have them, not a lot as most people today go to hybrids and then compromise by reserving their fairway woods for tee shots.

My advice would be to persevere with fairways or even get a lesson using them as there aren't many shots more rewarding than a well struck 3 or 5 wood off the ground.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Longer clubs and lower lofts, regardless of whether they are irons hybrids or fairways are more difficult to control and strike the ball cleanly with.

this statement suggests that you have missed the key point, whilst the principle that longer and stronger are more difficult there are important variations within the choices.

fw are longer with greater lofts for the same overall distance shot

hybrids/rescues are shorter with lower lofts - less carry, same overall distance. they are however, slightly longer, larger sole and more forgiving face than irons....

put another way - you get to choose your poison!

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Thanks Dave. I have questioned what a 7 wood is and the role it plays and quite like the idea. I did have a lesson with them and hit my 5 wood so well it was a case of "let's move on". I think I just need a pro to stand and watch me swing and everything falls into place!

I couldn't hit my 7 iron well at the range so moved onto my 5 wood and with the tips mentioned here managed to hit it a treat - go figure!

I did just focus on the angle of strike AND (mainly) left hip rotation. Must apply the latter throughout the bag today and see what I get.

Thanks.

Dave B

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Amanda in terms of distance lofts, length and ease of use a 7 wood is typically 21 degrees and aprox 1 inch shorter than a 5 wood which will be 18 degrees.

It is one of the easiest clubs in the bag to use and a typical hybrid equivalent would be around 18 degrees, (the hybrid shaft will be shorter but both clubs will hit the ball around the same distance). If you struggle with hybrids below 20 degrees a 7 wood could be the answer as the higher loft will make the club more forgiving however for some this can be offset by the longer shaft.

You can hit a 7 wood from out of the rough however like any shot in golf the ball has to be sat up correctly.

Distance wise I tend to leave my 4 iron out of the bag in favour of the 7 wood as I find the 7 wood far more versatile from both the tee and the fairway.

Duncan

As you have stated there are many variations. As stated above a 7 wood for instance has a longer shaft but higher loft whereas an equivalent hybrid, (18/19 degrees) will have a shorter shaft and lower loft. Both will hit the ball aprox the same distance but one players swing characteristics will favour the hybrid and anothers will favour the 7 wood.

A good player will be able to use either and will choose the one he prefers.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Amanda in terms of distance lofts, length and ease of use a 7 wood is typically 21 degrees and aprox 1 inch shorter than a 5 wood which will be 18 degrees.

It is one of the easiest clubs in the bag to use and a typical hybrid equivalent would be around 18 degrees, (the hybrid shaft will be shorter but both clubs will hit the ball around the same distance). If you struggle with hybrids below 20 degrees a 7 wood could be the answer as the higher loft will make the club more forgiving however for some this can be offset by the longer shaft.

You can hit a 7 wood from out of the rough however like any shot in golf the ball has to be sat up correctly.

Distance wise I tend to leave my 4 iron out of the bag in favour of the 7 wood as I find the 7 wood far more versatile from both the tee and the fairway.

Duncan

As you have stated there are many variations. As stated above a 7 wood for instance has a longer shaft but higher loft whereas an equivalent hybrid, (18/19 degrees) will have a shorter shaft and lower loft. Both will hit the ball aprox the same distance but one players swing characteristics will favour the hybrid and anothers will favour the 7 wood.

Thanks Dave/Duncan - very useful information. I have a 19 degree G5 hybrid which I do hit quite well but again today my 5 wood worked well so tempted to try the 7 wood option. There is a 22 degree Rapture on Ebay which I might have a punt at as either way I can re-list it or the G5 depending on which I find the best for me. I do love the flight and sound of a well struck fairway wood and just wish I could do it more often. The times they could be a changing :thup:

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site

and the really good one will select the right one his/her bag for that course

now we agree 100% :whoo:

as an aside the only really obvious bias seems to be the hybrid for links type, effectively moving on from the 1 and 2 irons - other than that 'horses for courses' seems to be the order of the day