Fairway woods off the deck

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I use either a 3 or 5 depending on what mood i'm in (just cut a couple of inches off the 5 and getting so much more control with it, 3 is next for similar treatment) its the default club for my 2nd shot on long 4's & 5's
I have 3 & 4 hybrids too but these follow on distance-wise from the 5 iron, so not really doing anything like the same job as a fairway club does

Chisteve

Head Pro
Visit site
I use M2 HL 3 and 5 woods off the deck - changed my game as get far more distance with them both as could not before with my old cleveland 3 weed

El Diablo

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I use a 3 wood frequently off the deck and the tee - a real go to club. Love it and in past year gone from a favourite for years Ping K15 which is massively easy to hit to a Ping 915. Get more distance but not as forgiving - modern fairway woods much longer than older ones.

Some friends found Taylormade HL fairways easy to hit as really get the ball up in the air.

Did not get on with the early hybrids but at a Ping testing found I could hit a G20 - have a 19deg (carry no 5 wood) and that has been in my bag ever since. Real ugly club but effective !

Use 5 iron frequently but have a Mizuno 3 iron in the bag (one of those forgiving ones) and it goes like a 4 iron but only tend to use off the tee - thought about swapping back to 4 iron TBH.

Good golfers of course can hit anything - my son whacks a 2 iron up to 240 yds - feels wrong when you hit your Sunday best driver and he is up there with you with an iron.

ArnoldArmChewer

Tour Winner
Visit site
I use a 3 wood frequently off the deck and the tee - a real go to club. Love it and in past year gone from a favourite for years Ping K15 which is massively easy to hit to a Ping 915. Get more distance but not as forgiving - modern fairway woods much longer than older ones.

Some friends found Taylormade HL fairways easy to hit as really get the ball up in the air.

Did not get on with the early hybrids but at a Ping testing found I could hit a G20 - have a 19deg (carry no 5 wood) and that has been in my bag ever since. Real ugly club but effective !

Use 5 iron frequently but have a Mizuno 3 iron in the bag (one of those forgiving ones) and it goes like a 4 iron but only tend to use off the tee - thought about swapping back to 4 iron TBH.

Good golfers of course can hit anything - my son whacks a 2 iron up to 240 yds - feels wrong when you hit your Sunday best driver and he is up there with you with an iron.

Try playing with a 10 stone 'youngster' who knocks a 1 iron 20 yards past your best drive !!

Canary Kid

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I have a 5 wood in one set and a 4 wood in the other. I use them off the deck only if I’m on a fairway with short grass. Even then, they are variable (I know it’s me that’s variable really!) ... either a 200+ yard beauty or a naff 50 yard bobbler. As a result, I tend not to use them ... but ironically, I would probably get better with them if I used them more regularly. Catch 22!

Pathetic Shark

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I've got a 7-wood I can sing the national anthem with. It's not just my go-to club, it's the love of my life, my other half, my soul mate. Mrs Shark is a distant second to it and the sex is better as well.

HampshireHog

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I'm happy playing 3 & 5 wood off the deck although the lie needs to be right for the 3 wood to be an option. I like the 5 wood out of the 1st cut and light rough as well. I can't hit my 3 hybrid at all😕.

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If you can’t hit a rescue off the fairway then you will struggle even more with a fairway club. Like one of the above posts said you need to improve your technique first. You can’t buy a golf swing.

Reemul

Head Pro
Visit site
If you can’t hit a rescue off the fairway then you will struggle even more with a fairway club. Like one of the above posts said you need to improve your technique first. You can’t buy a golf swing.

I hit my 3,5 and 7 wood from the fairway easily, my 4hybrid I just suck, I hate the way it looks and the shape of the club head so I use my 7w instead.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I dislike comments like this. However good or bad you are, there are always going to be clubs that suit you better and you find easier to hit with.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
If u fall back with woods or hybrids you will struggle.

Its possible to swing level and hit both well.

The speed of the club going into the back of the ball is enough to get that ball spinning and climbing into the air.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Who uses them and why over a long iron/hybrid?

I've been struggling with my long irons and my hybrid can be hit or miss so am thinking that fairway woods might be a cure - bad shot with the hybrid is a top so a sweeping action might suit me. Does anyone have any advice before I invest. Thanks.
Desperation?

More likely a FW is going to be harder to hit than a hybrid - except perhaps a really shallow-faced one like Adams Tight Lies, which virtually forces a particular swing!

My, somewhat radical, :rolleyes: advice would be to invest in lessons first!

I have no problem (well, very few) using either of mine (effectively 2 and 4 wood) off either tee or deck. A year of having to use them on long links courses sorted my technique out! Both simply go further than hybrids!

Last edited:

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Tosh

I can hit my 3 wood and 5 wood from the fairway very well and consistent

3 hybrid however I can't

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
To all those that cannot hit their hybrid off the fairway, do you ever practice and learn how to use it? If you do but still cannot make it work then bin it out of your bag or just don’t use it.