Fairway woods off the deck

YamiKuriboh

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Who uses them and why over a long iron/hybrid?

I've been struggling with my long irons and my hybrid can be hit or miss so am thinking that fairway woods might be a cure - bad shot with the hybrid is a top so a sweeping action might suit me. Does anyone have any advice before I invest. Thanks.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I recently bought a 5 wood (Adams Speedline range). My old 5 wood was an old Slazenger piece of crap so I never used that off the ground, but in replacing it I wanted one that could be used off the ground and off the tee. The new Adams was fantastic off the ground at the driving range, 4 out of 5 launched brilliantly, well over 200 yards. Out on the course last weekend it was a different story unfortunately, but as a new club I know it just needs a bit of work to get used to it. I think it's definitely worth having one in the big anyway, for versatility and another option if nothing else. Mine was only a 50 quid Ebay job so you don't need to break the bank.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I love my ping g15 5 wood off the deck

Have had it 4 years now and since I got it we have had a great understanding. Hardly ever lets me down always use it when I need

Got a m2 basically 4 wood to semi replace it.. can't hit that as well..

The ping is great from light roug, fairway or tee. Long par 3 its mine. I've got on many a par 5 in 3 using it for the 2nd and 3rd shot

It's so consistent

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Using fairway woods from the fairway.....radical :thup:

Change what you are doing (via a pro) rather than the club's you are doing it with.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I hit a 3 wood off the deck a fair bit, not any easy clubs to hit at times. Ive mates who are much lower handicaps who struggle with a 3 wood off the deck.

Reemul

Head Pro
Visit site
I use Adams tight lies a 3w and 5w, really like them great distance and accuracy. Seem real easy to hit and look great at address.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I use 3 wood off the deck because a properly struck shot goes longer than my 19 deg hybrid.

It is my 'go to shot' off the tee when there is a lot of wind because I know I can keep the ball down easier.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Generally use my 5 wood for fairways and the 3w for tee shots
But I can and do use the 3 off the deck if the need arises.
I've traditionally struggled with hybrids lofted lower than 20° and irons below 25°

Tiger man

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Who uses them and why over a long iron/hybrid?

I've been struggling with my long irons and my hybrid can be hit or miss so am thinking that fairway woods might be a cure - bad shot with the hybrid is a top so a sweeping action might suit me. Does anyone have any advice before I invest. Thanks.
I don't think a fairway wood will cure a top, the advantages of them over a hybrid or long iron is they are easier to elevate and generally more forgiving. They are not as versitile as a hybrid though.

YamiKuriboh

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I don't think a fairway wood will cure a top, the advantages of them over a hybrid or long iron is they are easier to elevate and generally more forgiving. They are not as versitile as a hybrid though.

Thought is that the top is caused by not hitting down on the ball enough. Wood should solve this as it is more of a sweeping motion, no?

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Thought is that the top is caused by not hitting down on the ball enough. Wood should solve this as it is more of a sweeping motion, no?
NO , most people top woods off the deck because they are trying for distance and try to knock the cover off the ball.( hit it to hard)!
Try hitting your wood the same speed as you would hit a nine iron it needs tempo ,
When you try to hit it hard most people lose their angles and straighten up ,club head is raised and top is result.

PIng

Head Pro
Visit site
Get yourself down to Direct Golf and get an Adams Tight Lies 5 wood before they've all gone - very easy to hit off the deck and are selling for about £40-£50 until the stock has gone.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Can generally hit a five wood reasonably well (given the parameters of my handicap) but struggle to get the 3 wood to work and so will only use it if there's plenty of room, usually to the right

Coffey

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I have the 2016 m2 4 wood (16.5 degree). Used to be terrible with my 3 wood before. Slow the swing right down and concentrate on strike. Let the club do the work. With the extra loft, I can get great launch and the ball just goes.

xreyuk

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Hit a 3w off the deck regularly, can't think of anything worse than hitting a 15° iron!

I have a 20.5° adjustable hybrid that I'm struggling with, the hybrid beforehand I was better with but the gapping wasn't right. However, I generally strike it better than a 3i.