Fairway wood modifications

tsped83

Tour Winner
Visit site
Morning,

My 5 wood is the longest serving club in the bag and also my favourite to hit. However, as I can never leave things alone, I’m wanting to tinker…

I can obtain the same model (Adams Super LS) head but in 13’, which has considerably less loft than it has now at 18’, both being adjustable +/- 1 degree I believe. I’m wanting to try it on the same shaft (Matrix HD VI) to give me another option off the tee and lower the flight slightly than the 5W head. If I can get a little extra distance out of it, great.

So, putting a 13’ head on a 5 wood shaft? Good or bad idea? Are there any implications of the considerably stronger loft on shorter shaft?

I should also say that a 15’ head is out there too…

Thanks

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Will be an interesting experiment!

I wouldn't be surprised if you don't actually get any more length - just the lower flight. Please report back.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I can kinda see where he's going with the train of thought.

Compared with the 5w (approx 18*)

Less loft should equal lower launch/flight
Bigger head should increase launch speed
Longer shaft should help increase swing speed

Again.... Assumption base on theory

tsped83

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've just ordered the 13' head so hopefully it'll be here ahead of the weekends comp and I can put it in play, probably cranked up to 14 degrees.

tsped83

Tour Winner
Visit site
Ernie, this did not work so well... I could hit the 14' of the forwar with a nice penetrating flight, but alas, not off the tee at all. Me thinks that is all technique mind. It's back to the 5w for now.