fairway bunkers ...

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Sort out why you are batting the ball from the fairway first - then these bunker shots will resolve themselves 🤔

Hitting slightly down through the ball and trusting the loft of the club is the the key, as always.

Any flipping, trying to get under the ball trying to add loft through impact, activities will all be counter productive.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Always was the strongest part of my game.
When in a greenside bunker I was always disappointed if I did not get down in 2. [sometimes one;)]

When I used to coach I found the easiest way to help beginners was to tell them not to hit the ball but hit the sand.
I would draw a line 1'' in front and 1'' behind the ball and tell then to remove the sand between the two lines with a hard swing.

..and a ps...never be greedy, bite off what you know you are capable of, even if that means playing out backwards

Last edited:

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Always was the strongest part of my game.
When in a greenside bunker I was always disappointed if I did not get down in 2. [sometimes one;)]

When I used to coach I found the easiest way to help beginners was to tell them not to hit the ball but hit the sand.
I would draw a line 1'' in front and 1'' behind the ball and tell then to remove the sand between the two lines with a hard swing.

..and a ps...never be greedy, bite off what you know you are capable of, even if that means playing out backwards

This is fairway bunkers. :)

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Greenside bunker play has come on leaps and bounds and they hold far less fear these days. Fairway bunkers though are still a lottery. When I clip it clean it comes out a treat but like so many I have a tendency to sway and usually catch it fat. Will try the ball back, weight forward technique and see it where it gets me

hors limite

Assistant Pro
Visit site
John Jacobs in one of his books advocated taking a normal stance but then to lean the body laterally a bit. For a right hander, leaning to the left. Works a treat.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Definitely one area where Pro's have a massive advantage and many are happy to take on a fairway bunker knowing they will almost certainly still have a decent shot at the green.

Makes such a difference seeing some of the Open venues with penal pot bunkers that are a genuine 1 stroke penalty. Would prefer to see Pros playing with this sort of hazard every week, but you can obviously understand why a lot of Tour venues are reluctant to use them given that handicap golfers are playing them the other 50 weeks of the year.