Fade

Nick_Toye

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Been hitting off my 3 Wood recently, keeping my Driver in the bag. I feel more confident and seem to strike the ball cleanly, both off the tee and on the fairway.

However, I seem to have developed a natural shot of fading it left to right (that's correct?).

So I've been aiming further left and bringing it in, plus its been useful on the dog leg rights.

Yesterday on the course I hit 75% of my fairways, with 100% on the back 9. Around 180 yards.

Obviously I want to be able to hit the ball straight if I can, and bring the fade in when the shot calls for it.

My setup in terms of stance is I place the ball level with my left heel, I hold the club square, but still it fades.

Trying to get pic of my grip, but I'm on my own and don't have the ability to do so. I'm sure there are many factors involved, but what would be the main cause of this? Or is this just my natural shot?

cookelad

Tour Winner
Visit site
What are we talking a couple of yards in the air or aiming three fairways over to get somewhere near?

If it's a couple of yards I wouldn't bother trying to change anything!

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
You have a slice not a fade. This is probably the shot that is played by the majority of golfers the world over, all wondering how to fix it.

Nick_Toye

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
You have a slice not a fade. This is probably the shot that is played by the majority of golfers the world over, all wondering how to fix it.

Ok, well I honestly assumed it wasn't a god given talent. :) I just haven't had time to get any lessons as yet. So what generally causes this? Grip? Stance?

la_lucha

Tour Rookie
Visit site
A big slice for a high handicapper is usually a combination of things. The first is an out to in swing putting left to right spin on the ball. The second could be an open face at impact. The third could be from hitting it out of the heel. The first thing I would try to sort is the swing path. You don't need a ball for that, just a club. Swing over and over trying to keep the right elbow close to the body. Keep swinging until you repeatedly see the club head moving in to our as you go through the imaginary ball position. It may help to put a tee in the ground to mark the ball position.

Astraeus

Head Pro
Visit site
The advice I received when looking to eliminate my slice was to have a lesson as there are so many possible causes of a slice that you have to have your own swing looked at. There is no one-size-fits-all remedy or else we'd each be driving straight down the fairway on day one after a YouTube tutorial.

Nick_Toye

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
The advice I received when looking to eliminate my slice was to have a lesson as there are so many possible causes of a slice that you have to have your own swing looked at. There is no one-size-fits-all remedy or else we'd each be driving straight down the fairway on day one after a YouTube tutorial.

Sure I understand that, but the basic principles are the same. I was trying to understand the concept of out in swing.

Astraeus

Head Pro
Visit site
Sure I understand that, but the basic principles are the same. I was trying to understand the concept of out in swing.

If that is the problem with your swing, then yes. I actually had a slice caused by a closed face and hands advanced of the ball position at strike whilst maintaining a straight swing with no outside-in swing. Just make sure you aren't going to overcomplicate your game by factoring in a 'deficiency' in your game which may not exist.

Nick_Toye

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
If that is the problem with your swing, then yes. I actually had a slice caused by a closed face and hands advanced of the ball position at strike whilst maintaining a straight swing with no outside-in swing. Just make sure you aren't going to overcomplicate your game by factoring in a 'deficiency' in your game which may not exist.

Yeah its good advice. I have enquired about lessons with my local range, just finding time to fit it in.

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yeah its good advice. I have enquired about lessons with my local range, just finding time to fit it in.

Some of the best players in the world fade the ball. The important thing is to get a repeatable swing. If every shot is a little fade then you can play for it ever time.

Lee Trevino and Monty were both faders of the ball and they did OK for themselves.

Nick_Toye

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Some of the best players in the world fade the ball. The important thing is to get a repeatable swing. If every shot is a little fade then you can play for it ever time.

Lee Trevino and Monty were both faders of the ball and they did OK for themselves.

Well that's what I mean, maybe this is just my natural swing and I should go with it.