F1 2021

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Got sucked into F1 a bit this year and it's certainly a spectacle but it's closer to WWE than proper sport. Must be so frustrating for actual F1 fans.

It’s the American approach to sport, unfortunately. The spectacle is more important than sporting integrity.

As I said pre-race, Verstappen a worthy champ and what happened today was nothing to do with him. But it really is tough to swallow from a sporting perspective. It just doesn’t feel right!

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Got sucked into F1 a bit this year and it's certainly a spectacle but it's closer to WWE than proper sport. Must be so frustrating for actual F1 fans.

This is like getting to the last match of the Ryder Cup and giving Matt Fitz a 2’ putt to win the event.

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
.................... or maybe he got alongside and Lewis dabbed his brakes or decelerated to make sure Max's nose got ahead?

Is that not allowed?

It’s the job of the cars behind to follow the leader at the point, who is effectively in the role of the safety car.

Wouldn’t be happy with the race result being overturned on that basis, unless there is a precedent for it in the past.

However, based on the regs, it seems a slam dunk that the race should never have restarted!

Swango1980

Visit site
.................... or maybe he got alongside and Lewis dabbed his brakes or decelerated to make sure Max's nose got ahead?
Lewis is allowed to control from the front. There was no need for Max to put himself in that position. He puts himself at huge risk, as the lead car will always go slow until they determine the time to go for it.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Is that not allowed?

It’s the job of the cars behind to follow the leader at the point, who is effectively in the role of the safety car.

Wouldn’t be happy with the race result being overturned on that basis, unless there is a precedent for it in the past.

However, based on the regs, it seems a slam dunk that the race should never have restarted!

100% not allowed. Schumacher was penalised for a similarly small infraction back in the day. So there is precedent.

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
According to what I watched they said that "Once all lapped cars have overtaken the safety car the safety car will come in at the end of the following lap". There was no "following lap" between the cars unlapping themselves and the safety car coming in.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
According to what I watched they said that "Once all lapped cars have overtaken the safety car the safety car will come in at the end of the following lap". There was no "following lap" between the cars unlapping themselves and the safety car coming in.

Don't forget 3 lapped cars were not told to overtake the safety car

Swango1980

Visit site
Absolutely crazy season ended like this, it was almost inevitable. I bet so many expected the stewards would win the championship. Most perhaps thought it would be by not acting correctly due to a ridiculous move my Max. But, to be fair to Max, championship decided by the officials self imploding.

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Jake Humphrey on Twitter thinks that the result might be overturned due to correct protocols not being followed. Certainly an entertaining few hours ahead.

andycap

Head Pro
Visit site
terrible decisions by FIA , If Mercedes protest stands up and Max did pass Lewis while behind safety car , that is a clear penalty .
Best outcome , Max gets time penalty , Lewis wins race and championship , Max wins in the future when he has the temperement and maturity to be worthy of it ,
I am a big fan of Lewis and Mercedes , but i like to see good ,no quarter given racing with the best driver on the day winning , Max is not ready or worthy yet .The let me pass or we both crash approach is not race craft .

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Absolutely crazy season ended like this, it was almost inevitable. I bet so many expected the stewards would win the championship. Most perhaps thought it would be by not acting correctly due to a ridiculous move my Max. But, to be fair to Max, championship decided by the officials self imploding.

It’s such a joke - Michael Masi has messed this up so badly. It’s only being decided in the stewards room because of him, it’s pretty clear that had he followed the appropriate protocol, Hamilton would have won the race.

I don’t want the race result overturned because of the safety car infringement, i wanted the FIA to strap on a pair of balls and apply their own rules.

What’s the point in the rules if they’re not going to be followed?!

Swango1980

Visit site
It’s such a joke - Michael Masi has messed this up so badly. It’s only being decided in the stewards room because of him, it’s pretty clear that had he followed the appropriate protocol, Hamilton would have won the race.

I don’t want the race result overturned because of the safety car infringement, i wanted the FIA to strap on a pair of balls and apply their own rules.

What’s the point in the rules if they’re not going to be followed?!
Exactly. Had he just allowed the race to restart without lapped cars getting past, no one would have argued. Red Bull would have moaned as they always do, but the argument to them was simple. Either we end behind a safety car as there is no time to get lapped cars past, or we go racing with lapped cars in position.

Instead, he completely buckled under Red Bull's moaning, and they effectively manipulated him into gifting Max the title.

No idea why teams are even allowed to talk to the FIA during race to be honest

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Do not understand F1 rules like some on here. Only been watching bits and I saw Hamilton ahead by around 15 seconds and some guy crashed.

They then go round for a few laps and Verstappen catches up and there is a 1 lap race. ELI5 please you initiated guys please. Now there are claims.. Help please!,

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It’s the American approach to sport, unfortunately. The spectacle is more important than sporting integrity.

As I said pre-race, Verstappen a worthy champ and what happened today was nothing to do with him. But it really is tough to swallow from a sporting perspective. It just doesn’t feel right!
Was nothing more than than "Wacky Races" today....... though a very impressive interview from Hamilton only moments after they'd subjected him to a 'comedy-cars' end of race. He showed real class whilst the winner was sat sobbing. :rolleyes::rolleyes: