F1 2021

Swango1980

Visit site
Lewis and nico went down to the final race when nico won, Lewis tried to back him up into the pack but nobody could get past.
Also alonso got stuck behind petrov in the final race in 2010 (I think)
Lewis has definitely had a nasty streak previously in his career, I think now he’s widely regarded as tough but fair. Max will settle down, they nearly all always do, one too many crashes cost them a title and they simmer down.
I can see why some people don't like Lewis. Maybe it is his demeanor. Maybe it is boring he has won a lot. Maybe it is his politics. Maybe it is his lifestyle. Maybe there are other reasons.

However, I never ever remember anyone saying he had a nasty streak. He has never ever been in that conversation when those type of drivers have been discussed by pundits. Sure, you can go through his long career and try and point out mistakes he may have made. Could do that with any driver, especially those is the limelight competing at the top.

It can't be compared to Max, who over steps the mark race after race. But, can I put all blame on Max? Maybe not, I don't think his bosses at Red Bull do him any favours

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Verstappen receives a further 10 sec penalty for a sudden 2.4g breaking manoeuvre which led to Hamilton running into the back of him. I’m beginning to think Verstappen has a screw loose.

Swango1980

Visit site
Verstappen receives a further 10 sec penalty for a sudden 2.4g breaking manoeuvre which led to Hamilton running into the back of him. I’m beginning to think Verstappen has a screw loose.
What a pointless penalty. So lucky Hamilton wasn't taken out of the race in that incident. I wonder what it would take for a driver to get disqualified from a race? Can't wait until other drivers have the speed to compete against the Red Bull, because it is clear he would act in the exact same manner. People will finally see Max for what he is, rather than just think it is an overly sensitive Hamilton or Mercedes. I'd be surprised if many of the drivers have much respect for Max.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
What a pointless penalty. So lucky Hamilton wasn't taken out of the race in that incident. I wonder what it would take for a driver to get disqualified from a race? Can't wait until other drivers have the speed to compete against the Red Bull, because it is clear he would act in the exact same manner. People will finally see Max for what he is, rather than just think it is an overly sensitive Hamilton or Mercedes. I'd be surprised if many of the drivers have much respect for Max.

You’ve only got to look back a race when Verstappen was given a grid penalty for a new engine to see him bullying his way through the field.

SaintHacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
FIA have already said there will be penalties for any shenanigans in the last race, so a Mad Max move could cost him the championship.
Seems a bit of a cop out penalty, but probably the best for the final race, that way they admit Max was a naughty boy but it still gets decided on track, and he's probably got more points on his licence for it.

Swango1980

Visit site
FIA have already said there will be penalties for any shenanigans in the last race, so a Mad Max move could cost him the championship.
Seems a bit of a cop out penalty, but probably the best for the final race, that way they admit Max was a naughty boy but it still gets decided on track, and he's probably got more points on his licence for it.
2 points on his license I believe.

If he takes Hamilton out, he wins the Championship. Unless he is given an even bigger penalty effecting previous points. Di Resta said he and Red Bull would not want to win the Championship that way. I'd love to agree, but I think that is just wishful thinking.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site

If he takes Hamilton out, he wins the Championship. Unless he is given an even bigger penalty effecting previous points. Di Resta said he and Red Bull would not want to win the Championship that way. I'd love to agree, but I think that is just wishful thinking.

Max just wants to win at any cost, you could see how desperate he was yesterday to beat Lewis.
I just hope Lewis wins next week and retires wealthy and healthy.

Reactions: Doh

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

It would be a joke if he won the title because of the farcical Belgian Grand Prix, which is his extra “win”, and neither car finishing the race next weekend.

The FIA will only intervene if it’s blatant. What is abundantly clear is max will try hugely risky moves knowing he has nothing to lose if he is behind. The FIA won’t intervene in the circumstance there is a coming together that is like any of the others seen so far this season.

Swango1980

Visit site
I was slightly disappointed with Di Resta and Hill's analysis of it yesterday. I know they'll call out any driver if they think it necessary, but when they looked at the footage they seemed to look for reasons in which Verstappen could be defended. Di Resta particularly focused on the down shifting by Max, and he was probably just simply slowing down to let Lewis past.

However, when you look at Hamilton's on board, it is clear Hamilton is catching Max, but at a fairly slow rate as both drivers are going down the gears. Then, as Hamilton gets close and starts to move to the left, the Red Bull car suddenly disappears to right of Hamilton, in a flash. It is clear the speed differential suddenly increased. Either that was because Hamilton accelerated too early, or Verstappen braked.

I was puzzled why the pundits didn't pick up on that, but thankfully the numbers show Max's significant braking was a primary factor in the collision.

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
Is there any current FIA rule that can deduct points from previous results?
The only precedent I can recall is when Schumacher was DQ'd the entire season in 97 for trying to take out Villeneuve. But rules will probably have changed since then.
One possibility would be to retrospectively give Max a 5s penalty in Brazil, which would lose him some points.

Beedee

Assistant Pro
Visit site
According to the stewards "The key point was that [Verstappen] then braked suddenly [at 69 bar] and significantly, resulting in 2.4g deceleration… The sudden braking was determined to be erratic and hence the predominant cause of the collision."

2.4 g deceleration. So over 2 and a half times the braking force of a road car in full emergency stop mode. It should be much bigger penalty than effectively nothing.

Swango1980

Visit site
It would be a joke if he won the title because of the farcical Belgian Grand Prix, which is his extra “win”, and neither car finishing the race next weekend.

The FIA will only intervene if it’s blatant. What is abundantly clear is max will try hugely risky moves knowing he has nothing to lose if he is behind. The FIA won’t intervene in the circumstance there is a coming together that is like any of the others seen so far this season.
Good point well made, I forgot about that farcical "race". The FIA does a lot to shoot itself in the foot. Norris was extremely critical that they allow tyre changes during a red flag. It is a good point.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Given the wording of the report from the FIA, I am genuinely shocked that Max only got a 10 second penalty. Especially when you take into consideration the standard of his driving during the rest of the race.

In any other series causing a collision in the way he did would result in a DQ.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
There are views that Max could take out Hamilton in the last race. I would give a pound to charity if Bottas took out Max. Max is getting away with disgusting tactics because the powers that be are allowing him to. In the same sense that Schumacher was allowed to.

D

Deleted member 15344

I wonder if there is a Dutch equivalent forum somewhere out there that has the polar opposite reaction

It seems to me to be a season that actually has two drivers that can win the title and want to win the title badly - Hamilton over the years has cruised to title wins without much opposition , the one year he was challenged was Rosberg who beat him and Hamilton cried throughout the season. Drivers that want to win when in a battle will take risks - Senna used , didnt James Hunt ? Schumacher etc

Is this right now not how it should be - drivers going at it to try and win at all costs - Hamilton just doesn’t seem to like it right now because there is a chance that he might actually lose to another driver.

Yesterdays GP was the first one I watched from start to finish for years - it had it all , it maybe not the purists dream but it certainly had the excitement which is what sport is supposed to be

Swango1980

Visit site
Given the wording of the report from the FIA, I am genuinely shocked that Max only got a 10 second penalty. Especially when you take into consideration the standard of his driving during the rest of the race.

In any other series causing a collision in the way he did would result in a DQ.
Agreed, had any other driver done what Max did in Brazil, I am sure they'd have been penalised. If any driver did what Max did yesterday, I am sure they would be hugely penalised. Are there many more things much more dangerous than brake testing another driver at high speed?

I suspect they think that it is good for the sport to have another driver win other than Lewis, and another team challenge Mercedes. Yes, it certainly is good for the sport to have that competition, but surely never at the expense of what we see from Max.