F1 2021

Funt1m3

Visit site
Did he know he was half a second up? And Lewis was fastest in last sector (I think) so to dial it down to 99/100 was going to be difficult

Either way, fantastic stuff. Thought Lewis’s comments on Valteri may have had an ulterior motive, I.e. just do your bloody job tomorrow and hold him off the first corner

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Did he know he was half a second up? And Lewis was fastest in last sector (I think) so to dial it down to 99/100 was going to be difficult

Either way, fantastic stuff. Thought Lewis’s comments on Valteri may have had an ulterior motive, I.e. just do your bloody job tomorrow and hold him off the first corner

He wasn’t half a second up. He was 2 tenths, which is significant. It looked like just over 4 tenths because he went into the corner way too fast.

Whatever happens today. I feel that Lewis needs a lead over Max going into the last race to rule out Max going full Schumacher.

Swango1980

Visit site

Agreed, when you are going flat out for a qualifying lap, is it realistic to think his team will he constantly telling him how up or down he is? I doubt it, the pundits seem to think the same also. Even if he did know he was up, when should he slow down? Last corner, second last corner, third last corner, etc? Consciously slowing down could result in a large increase in time, and he'd have been kicking himself if he just missed out on pole.

Not a Verstappen fan as my previous comments prove, but can't criticise him much for that. You wan't drivers to drive qualifying laps right on the limit, and sometimes they will just go.over the edge.

Makes the race more interesting though.

BiMGuy

Visit site
The delta to pole is usually displayed on their steering wheel. So, I’d be surprised if he wasn’t aware of the situation.

It looked like a pure bad decision to mash the loud pedal after locking up. Which he didn’t need to do. Once he started to under steel, he needed to back out, but kept his foot in.

He needs to learn that sometimes you need to back out. He’ll be very lucky if the gearbox doesn’t need replacing.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site

I think they have their sector times on the steering wheel.
I just saw an interview with Max...
''I locked up, don't understand why''
Can I take a wild guess...
You were going fast, you braked too late, locked up, lost control and hit the wall.

The delta to pole is usually displayed on their steering wheel. So, I’d be surprised if he wasn’t aware of the situation.

It looked like a pure bad decision to mash the loud pedal after locking up. Which he didn’t need to do. Once he started to under steel, he needed to back out, but kept his foot in.

He needs to learn that sometimes you need to back out. He’ll be very lucky if the gearbox doesn’t need replacing.

And that's a five grid place penalty which won't be easy to overcome and makes Bottas job easier.

SaintHacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I think they have their sector times on the steering wheel.
I just saw an interview with Max...
''I locked up, don't understand why''
Can I take a wild guess...
You were going fast, you braked too late, locked up, lost control and hit the wall.

And that's a five grid place penalty which won't be easy to overcome and makes Bottas job easier.
Rumour has it that both Lewis and MAx will be on new gearboxes without penalty as they've both done six races, whats not clear at the moment is if Max was on the new one for qualy, which if he is then it will be a penalty (assuming its buggered)

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Rumour has it that both Lewis and MAx will be on new gearboxes without penalty as they've both done six races, whats not clear at the moment is if Max was on the new one for qualy, which if he is then it will be a penalty (assuming its buggered)

''The team is clear that if there is the slightest risk of it being compromised then it will elect to replace it – which would mean a five-place grid drop.''

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/r...swap-verstappens-gearbox-after-crash/6850817/

BiMGuy

Visit site

It was the new one in qualifying.

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Overtaking on this new track looks nigh on impossible. This race is going to be won or lost on strategy and pit stops. The undercut, if timed correctly, could be the deciding factor. Lots and lots of cars on a very confined circuit is going to mean quite a few frustrated drivers. It's like Monaco on steroids.
If Hamilton ever needed Bottas's full cooperation, it's today. He's got to stop Max coming through...

BiMGuy

Visit site
Overtaking on this new track looks nigh on impossible. This race is going to be won or lost on strategy and pit stops. The undercut, if timed correctly, could be the deciding factor. Lots and lots of cars on a very confined circuit is going to mean quite a few frustrated drivers. It's like Monaco on steroids.
If Hamilton ever needed Bottas's full cooperation, it's today. He's got to stop Max coming through...

Which is why Redbull gambled on setting up for ultimate one lap pace. They needed Max to be at the front.

The Mercedes looks set up for better race pace and looked mighty on the hard tyres during practice.

Strategy and safety cars will play a huge part in this race.

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
He said as much in the post-quali interview. Once again, Max displays: Ambition + Ego > Talent

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
These guys are good drivers but I fear some big shunts are coming.
I hope I'm wrong and Lewis disappears into the distance but a track that narrow and that fast is asking for trouble, and with blind bends at that speed, one car in the wall could quickly become a 3 or 4 car pile up.
Here's hoping for a boring safe race.

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
These guys are good drivers but I fear some big shunts are coming.
I hope I'm wrong and Lewis disappears into the distance but a track that narrow and that fast is asking for trouble, and with blind bends at that speed, one car in the wall could quickly become a 3 or 4 car pile up.
Here's hoping for a boring safe race.
That's what is worrying me Bob.
Barreling around one of those blind bends at near on 200mph and coming face to face with a striken car? You've only got to remember how Billy Monger sustained his injuries.
Doesn't bear thinking about
???

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
Barreling around one of those blind bends at near on 200mph and coming face to face with a striken car? You've only got to remember how Billy Monger sustained his injuries.
???
Presumably the FIA signed off on the design, and we know they aren't exactly blase about safety.
But I agree that it looks a very scary track.

SaintHacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
???
Those blind corners are scary but there's nothing to really stop a car dead, if someone does hit the wall they should carry on down the track for a while giving the cars behind time to slow hopefully