F1 2021

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Verstappen turned into Hamilton. Maybe he was trying to make Hamilton brake, as he had done twice already on the lap. Hamilton could have been tighter to the apex, and Verstappen could have not turned in so aggressively. 50/50.

Beedee

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I don't think Red Bull are coming out of it terribly well. Obviously they're disappointed and concerned for Max, and their budgets, but the whinging is just too hypocritical. All the times Max has been aggressive are fine. Last race Perez ran one car off the track, and punted another off the track, and that was fine too apparently.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I thought JV showed his intent moving more than once when LH was trying to get past earlier in the lap. I thought the pnealty harsh, but then I don't expect anything less.

Reemul

Head Pro
Visit site
It was a racing incident but in the last race Norris got a penalty and Perez got 2 of them for exactly the same thing so Hamilton needed a Penalty but it was always irrelevant as he was at the front and was always going to go on and win the race. Apparently during the race the commentators said this is new for this year and incidents like this will be given penalties so I am assuming whoever gets away with it will get the penalty.

I am a Verstappen fan and feel he should have given way as all the way up to the crash Lewis had him it was just a matter of when and 2nd is better than last.

Still it is tribal, all the Hamilton fans saying he did nothing wrong and the same with the Verstappen fans. The sky footage clearly shows Verstappen moved the wheel to the left to give Hamilton the room and of course he turned right sharply, you have to at 185mph, it's not a driving Miss Daisy corner, Lewis quite rightly does not want to turn in sharply as he is on the inside and loses speed drastically which would have allowed Verstappen to get away from him. To be fair to both of them it was only a hit by around 12 inches. The thing I ask myself on all of these incidents is if they were reversed what they be saying then and in all honesty they would both be reacting in the same way. Racing incident, suck it up, learn from it and on to the next race.

I was embarrassed by both the behaviour of Red Bull and Mercedes, like little children, he did this, no he did that...Jesus no wonder the drivers are like they are if the bosses are like this, Helmut Markle saying he should have a race ban, Toto saying I sent you an email and I am following up with a phone call to guy who is not a steward anyways.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
The stewards have been giving penalties based on the outcome of incidents, not the cause of them for a few seasons.

Max was driving like a bit of a knob beforehand and being his usual aggressive self. Today Lewis decided he wasn't backing out.

All of the analysis I've seen post race would suggest Max was more at fault.

You would hope Max would learn from this. But Horner, Dr Evil and Jos will be telling Max it was all Lewis's fault and he's beennhard done by. I fully expect Max to do something stupid at the next race.

Horner has out done himself with his comments post race. In what is clearly a scripted message in an attempt to influence future decisions.

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
What annoyed me was 2 people from Red Bull said LH was wrong because he ''stuck a wheel up the inside''
Were we watching the same race?

View attachment 37615
You've kind of cherry-picked that photo. Yes, Lewis was almost alongside, but only for about 1/10th sec, if that. Then he understeered towards Max while Max was very aggressively taking the racing line. Racing incident for me, but the penalty was to be expected.

Horner is living in cloud cuckoo land if he believes that there are places on circuits where you're not allowed to try to overtake. Isn't one aspect of racing about trying to overtake wherever you can?

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Maybe, but when Lewis realised that Max was going to turn in no matter what and possibly take them both out, he backed up to avoid a big shunt. Unfortunately he couldn't quite clear the back of Max's car completely before Max turned in. That's why Max's back wheel hit Lewis's front wheel.
If Max had turned in a second later, Lewis would have cleared the back of Max's car and there would have been no contact. The important thing is Max has been released from hospital and nobody was seriously hurt.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
You've kind of cherry-picked that photo. Yes, Lewis was almost alongside, but only for about 1/10th sec, if that. Then he understeered towards Max while Max was very aggressively taking the racing line. Racing incident for me, but the penalty was to be expected.

Horner is living in cloud cuckoo land if he believes that there are places on circuits where you're not allowed to try to overtake. Isn't one aspect of racing about trying to overtake wherever you can?
He obviously forgot LH took Leclerc on the same corner.
TBH I’m not at all surprised by the reaction from anyone to do with Red Bull. The have the demeanour of the new kids on the block with a shoe string budget when they are in fact exactly the opposite.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I see Max claims Lewis disrespected him for celebrating wining his home grand prix on the podium while Max was still in hospital undergoing routine tests. :mad:

SaintHacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I see Max claims Lewis disrespected him for celebrating wining his home grand prix on the podium while Max was still in hospital undergoing routine tests. :mad:
I've lost what little respect for him I had after that comment. He's made a living so far from driving dangerously and aggresiveley, yet when he does it he brushes it off as 'racing', Someone gives him a bit of his own medecine and the toys come out.

BiMGuy

Visit site
Hamilton schooling both Red Bulls in Q3 quali today in Hungary, classic.

Redbull apear to have dropped the ball this weekend. Maybe they have spent too much of the last fortnight focusing on the wrong things.

Half a second behind is a huge gap, considering the relative performance advantage they seemed to have.

I did enjoy the games prior to the final run. Redbull only have themselves to blame that they didn't get a clear run.

BiMGuy

Visit site
Horner took that surprisingly well, I expected him to be crying down the phone to the FIA about it

He knows they got it wrong, and would have done the same. Mercedes out laps were their fastest in qualifying, so Horner had absolutely nothing to complain about.

ger147

Tour Winner
Visit site
Horner took that surprisingly well, I expected him to be crying down the phone to the FIA about it

There is a maximum time specified that you can take for an outlap and Hammy did just a few tenths inside the set time. They knew they'd been schooled so no point greetin' about it.