Eyesight

MVP

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
im sure this has been spoken bout before, but do you guys where glasses , contact lenses or have lasik, when playing golf what options do you think are best?/

medwayjon

Tour Winner
www.snodhurstcarsales.co.uk
Mate, I am like stevie wonder without my bins.

Would love contacts as my glasses caused me serious trouble at crowborough beacon and do in general when wet/damp but I get terrible dry-eyes and the optician said contacts would be a bad choice for me.

minty18

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I've had glasses for a year now and found playing in the rain a nightmare. I got my contacts a couple of months ago and its excellent, even clearer than wearing my glasses.

Not too pricey either.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I went to specsavers and walked out with two labradors (one for each eye I'm that bad). Glasses are a real pain especially in the rain and also in the lower sun at this time of year. I seem to get a lot more glare from frost and wet fairways which makes looking for the ball a problem sometimes.

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
glasses, never tried contacts, no point to laser as they can only do one end and I'll still need glasses.

might ask about contacts - not sure how good they would be as I have varifocals.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Worn specs for 20 years now and although the rain can be a problem I always look for a cap with a long brim and then pull it down a little to provide a bit more shelter and it seems to work. I also have my glasses treated with all the anti-glare add-ons. Being a driving instructor, I can't have the visor down on the passenger side (can't see in my mirror so don't know when the 40 tonne lorry is about to run us over!!!) so all the anti glare bits make life easier. Seems to help with the golf too.

MVP

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
thing with me is i breathe out on my downswing which releases tension but also steams my glasses up lol! i should try contacts but i dont like fiddly little things!

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Same here. But I got round it by exhaling before the swing starts. I countdown from 5 in my head to get the swing going. When I exhale, that's 5. Gives you about 3-4 seconds for any fog to clear.

It also clears a lot of tension that may have built up.

Herbie

Tour Winner
Visit site
Im wondering when I will need glasses to play???? but just now I only need reading glasses but when I use them I understand probs associated with glasses for golfers.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Am surprised there appear to be so many who wear a pair of gogs but have not tried or don't use contacts for outdoor activity. They come in so many "varieties" that there is pretty much something for everyone including bifocals, vari-focals etc - if they can do me, then they can probably do you too. And if a puddin' fingers like me can get them in & out easy enough...

Even if you don't want to wear them all the time you can pop 'em in just before playing and take 'em out again when finished - and even if you get dry eyes, half a day, once or twice a week, won't be a problem, and the daily disposables are cheap enough to do just that these days.

On the other hand, I'll just take my chances that ye with the steamed up, rain smeared bins can't see the ball properly and constantly 3 putts, whereas me, with my crystal clear view....... has to find another excuse :)

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Glasses are the bane of my golfing life at the moment... :( :(

I wear varifocals and as much as I try, I cannot get used to playing golf with them on.
Stupid thing is, I can see a golf ball sitting on the green 400 yards away with the "naked eye" but cannot see well enough to mark a scorecard or even distinguish the makers name on a ball four feet away without them on.
At the moment I just take them off and pop them in my bag...askiing somebody else to mark the card. When I have tried to wear them and take them off to take my shots, I then forget to pick the bloody things up again.
It's a nightmare for me to be honest and my only concern really about my golf at the moment.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I wear one contact lense. All I need, gives me the best eyesight money can buy. I don't trust laser surgery, it hasn't been around long enough. When it has been done on people who then go 50 years with it, fine, but right now it is a gamble I am unwilling to take.

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
smiffy, though I do occasionally wear my reactolite varifocals to play I have had glasses made just for golf (Specsavers).
First pair were mostly distance but with the inner corner reading. Current pair are single vision distance, and the reason for that is I was tucking my chin into my chest to view the ball on the tee over the top of the reading bit - not good.
Both blue tinted which has a minor effect on glare and a major effect on spotting the ball in the grass.
I also have varifocal sunglasses which are better than my normal pair but not so good in low light.

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I know this is going to sound really silly but I just find everything looks TOO clear when I wear my bins.
I've got so used to the gradual deterioration of my sight over the years that I'm now used to what I see on the tee and green without them.
It's not the actual wearing of them that's the pain (if that makes sense)...

GolfOffshore

Medal Winner
Visit site
My prescription is unfortunately so strong that if I could wear contacts they would probably be the thickness of pound coins...i have tried them and couldn't get along.

Don't find playing in the rain a big issue, on a really still day it can be an issue when they steam up but with a bit of a breeze its fine