Eyemouth, Winterfied, Duns GC

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I had a trip over the weekend, playing the above 3 courses. Not the glamour courses of that coastline but substantially cheaper. So, in playing order:

Eyemouth, really enjoyable. Smashing clubhouse, making use of the views with massive glass windows giving great views over the course, out to sea, down to the harbour. Very friendly, good value food and drink. Course was a real pleasure to play. Interesting shape to holes, some very funky greens. In very good condition, particularly bearing in mind the weather we have had. It seemed half links, half parkland in style. Interesting to hear other views on this from people who have played it before.

Winterfield, short course, slotted into a bit of land on the coast. Nice clubhouse, again good value in there. Worst 1st hole I've ever played. 220yd par 3, raised tee box, raised green, large bank in front. You had to carry the green with very little bale out area. Ah well. The rest were fairly up and down holes, lots of cross over holes on the back 9. 4 hours to play a short course, purgatory. I might have fonder views had it been quieter but as it was, I would not bother going back. Not the worst, a good course for a beginner.

Duns, parkland course. A bonus. We had low expectations but really enjoyed it. Lots of good holes, good greens. A good number of tree lined fairways but at this point of the year, with no leaves on them, it was not as attractive as it would be in a month or so. I'd happily go back and play there. Nice clubhouse but as there was no catering on I can't say too much about that.

We had friendly welcomes at all 3, big plusses there. Minimal rain but strong winds each day. Overall view was that Eyemouth was the best course but due to its exposure on the coast we would choose Duns to be a member of. If people are planning a trip to the glamour courses and want to fit a cheaper option into the mix, or are looking for a course on the way up to Scotland or back down into England, then give real thought to playing Eyemouth.

Charlatan30

Visit site
We do an annual trip to Eyemouth over Christmas and I agree with everything you have said. Coming from the North Tyneside area it a bit of a drive but worth it. Really love that most holes have something different about them and we're always treat well in the clubhouse.

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
I had a trip over the weekend, playing the above 3 courses. Not the glamour courses of that coastline but substantially cheaper. So, in playing order:

Eyemouth, really enjoyable. Smashing clubhouse, making use of the views with massive glass windows giving great views over the course, out to sea, down to the harbour. Very friendly, good value food and drink. Course was a real pleasure to play. Interesting shape to holes, some very funky greens. In very good condition, particularly bearing in mind the weather we have had. It seemed half links, half parkland in style. Interesting to hear other views on this from people who have played it before.

Winterfield, short course, slotted into a bit of land on the coast. Nice clubhouse, again good value in there. Worst 1st hole I've ever played. 220yd par 3, raised tee box, raised green, large bank in front. You had to carry the green with very little bale out area. Ah well. The rest were fairly up and down holes, lots of cross over holes on the back 9. 4 hours to play a short course, purgatory. I might have fonder views had it been quieter but as it was, I would not bother going back. Not the worst, a good course for a beginner.

Duns, parkland course. A bonus. We had low expectations but really enjoyed it. Lots of good holes, good greens. A good number of tree lined fairways but at this point of the year, with no leaves on them, it was not as attractive as it would be in a month or so. I'd happily go back and play there. Nice clubhouse but as there was no catering on I can't say too much about that.

We had friendly welcomes at all 3, big plusses there. Minimal rain but strong winds each day. Overall view was that Eyemouth was the best course but due to its exposure on the coast we would choose Duns to be a member of. If people are planning a trip to the glamour courses and want to fit a cheaper option into the mix, or are looking for a course on the way up to Scotland or back down into England, then give real thought to playing Eyemouth.
Me and the wife played Eyemouth two years ago on holiday up there. The 6th? Over the rocks off whites is THE best hole in golf (I think). Pared it off whites. The monster 13th off whites is a hell of a hole. Pared that too!!!!!! The wife played it off whites and was on the green for 4. Got down in 7. Will live long in my memory. She actually said afterwards that she liked the course ( a VERY RARE occurrence). The fish and chips in the clubhouse are second to none! We went twice for that!!!! Pro really friendly as were all the staff.
Cracking course!

chico

Club Champion
Visit site

Good to know, I'm going to the Borders next week and was trying to pick a course. Will most probably go with Duns we played Eyemouth before and I always like to play somewhere I haven't played before.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Good review @Lord Tyrion .
I play Eyemouth a couple of times every year in their opens. Always enjoy it.
It was very wet in places in March so I am pleased to hear it is better now.
Lots of really good holes, 6 and 7 are truly excellent holes.
The fish in the clubhouse is incredible. Over the years I've had John Dory, lemon sole, fresh scampi, halibut, turbot, hake etc., all fab.

On Winterfield, the back 9 is decent, but the front 9 is the worst 9 holes I've ever played.
Nice clubhouse and the pros are great guys.

chico

Club Champion
Visit site
Good to know, I'm going to the Borders next week and was trying to pick a course. Will most probably go with Duns we played Eyemouth before and I always like to play somewhere I haven't played before.
Ended up playing Jedburgh on Saturday due to location, weather forecast etc. Booked on Golf Now and turned up to find 9 holes closed because of the weather. Fair enough was going to play the 9 open holes twice. Got to the 5th and got stuck behind 3 guys took an hour for 4 holes.
Gave up went to the pub.