Eye 2 replacement

RichA

Visit site
I guess this has been done to death previously, but I'm new here and couldn't find anything similar when I searched.
Got back into golf last year after 10 years off and bought a set of Ping Eye 2 irons on eBay. Absolutely love playing with them but they are standard lie and length and I'm not.
Had a few lessons with a pro who advised me to embrace modern tech and get some clubs that fit me.
Got a fitting a few months ago and tried the G410 irons (obviously just a 7). That didn't work out - I never got the clubs and I'll be back in the market post-lockdown.
Stumbled across a YouTube vid this week where Mark Crossfield was comparing 40 year old Eye 2s with G425s. He preferred the Eye 2.
Also read an article saying that Mizuno developed the MP-18 MMC aiming to make a forged iron as forgiving as the old cast Eye 2.
Has anyone gone from the Eye 2 onto a modern iron set that isn't just chasing a 180 yard 7 iron?
I'm not a low handicap golfer, but neither am I just desperate to cream massive iron shots that don't necessarily end up where I aimed them.
Suddenly wondering if I would get more pleasure from challenging myself with more of a mid-handicap set than flattering GI irons.
Interested to hear related experiences of real life golf experiments as I know that just cracking a few different 7 irons inside on a mat won't reflect the real thing.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
What was wrong with the fitting?
If the Eye 2s are standard and you're not then they're not helping you.
You, at least, need the right length, lie and a shaft that let's you swing properly
Lofts have got stronger but don't necessarily believe that you'll be hitting 180 yard 7 irons.
But, unless you buy older clubs, you are going to hit them further.
Lofts of the Eye2 are about a club weak compared to modern irons, maybe a tad weaker depending on the set.
Something fairly forgiving, not too strong, maybe have a look at JPX forged from Mizuno
Hitting them is the only real way to find out what you like and what you don't

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I guess this has been done to death previously, but I'm new here and couldn't find anything similar when I searched.
Got back into golf last year after 10 years off and bought a set of Ping Eye 2 irons on eBay. Absolutely love playing with them but they are standard lie and length and I'm not.
Had a few lessons with a pro who advised me to embrace modern tech and get some clubs that fit me.
Got a fitting a few months ago and tried the G410 irons (obviously just a 7). That didn't work out - I never got the clubs and I'll be back in the market post-lockdown.
Stumbled across a YouTube vid this week where Mark Crossfield was comparing 40 year old Eye 2s with G425s. He preferred the Eye 2.
Also read an article saying that Mizuno developed the MP-18 MMC aiming to make a forged iron as forgiving as the old cast Eye 2.
Has anyone gone from the Eye 2 onto a modern iron set that isn't just chasing a 180 yard 7 iron?
I'm not a low handicap golfer, but neither am I just desperate to cream massive iron shots that don't necessarily end up where I aimed them.
Suddenly wondering if I would get more pleasure from challenging myself with more of a mid-handicap set than flattering GI irons.
Interested to hear related experiences of real life golf experiments as I know that just cracking a few different 7 irons inside on a mat won't reflect the real thing.

Out of interest what are your specs re length and lie.

RichA

Visit site
I've only been Ping specced, but 2 degrees upright and +0.5 inch.
Interestingly, to me anyway, I've done my best to measure and calculate the lie angle on my black dot Eye2s and I think they may have been flattened a couple of degrees, so as much as I love them, they really aren't doing me any favours. The good shots are probably real world mishits.

RichA

Visit site
Something fairly forgiving, not too strong, maybe have a look at JPX forged from Mizuno
Hitting them is the only real way to find out what you like and what you don't
Unfortunately, all I can do at the moment is think, read, talk and watch YouTube videos about it.
I figured that if they really were the best selling irons of all time, there might be some folks on here who used and loved them and have since used modern GI and semi-"player" irons and might have a thought to share.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Unfortunately, all I can do at the moment is think, read, talk and watch YouTube videos about it.
I figured that if they really were the best selling irons of all time, there might be some folks on here who used and loved them and have since used modern GI and semi-"player" irons and might have a thought to share.
They're even before my time so I can't help on that front.
Still see them in bags and if they were the right spec it would be worth using them

RichA

Visit site
Not a great golfer and never will be, but my last few rounds with 40 year old clubs that don't fit me we're all around 90. When I quit 10 years ago I played a handful of times a year, never had a lesson and was over the moon if I played a round in double figures.
Playing more often, I hope to get better and would like to use "proper" golf clubs, but don't want to be that guy why really isn't good enough to use forged irons. They are pretty though and they are on my radar.
Also, whatever I buy won't be replaced in the next 20 years.

RichA

Visit site
Knowing that I'll be using the Eye 2s for a few months, even when/if I do order new sticks, I'm extending them myself. Obviously can't do anything about lie until the shops open again.
My experience with Ping, even before my American Golf saga, tells me that they don't like dealing directly with the public. There is a guy about 30 miles from me who my club pro informs me is an expert in club adjustment, but he's not working right now. I'll probably be asking him to check the lies after lockdown, although if they are a couple degrees flat and I want them a couple upright I'm not sure a 4 degree bend us doable, is it?

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Look on a second hand ping website.. you might get some to spec

I played Zing 2 for 10 years, they were never as good as my blades regards feel.

davidy233

Tour Rookie
www.davidyoungphoto.co.uk
Knowing that I'll be using the Eye 2s for a few months, even when/if I do order new sticks, I'm extending them myself. Obviously can't do anything about lie until the shops open again.
My experience with Ping, even before my American Golf saga, tells me that they don't like dealing directly with the public. There is a guy about 30 miles from me who my club pro informs me is an expert in club adjustment, but he's not working right now. I'll probably be asking him to check the lies after lockdown, although if they are a couple degrees flat and I want them a couple upright I'm not sure a 4 degree bend us doable, is it?
Not sure how much you can do but when me and a mate went to Gainsborough in the early 90s to get our clubs we bought in the sale at John Lewis adjusted the fitter gave my mate's clubs a damn good hit with a mallet to bend them to the correct angles - mine didn't need adjusted. Loved my Eye 2s always thought you could hit them off a road without scratching them up.

RichA

Visit site
I have thought about it, but adjusting the lies myself in the garage with a mallet and no way of accurately measuring how much I'm altering the lie, loft and probably changing the angle of the face... At least they're usable at the moment. I'd probably wreck them.

sweaty sock

Hacker
Visit site
Few questions

On the course is your shot pattern predominantly right of target?

How did they fit you for lie? Was it by hitting off a plastic board and marking a strip on the bottom of the club?

Did they mention shaft weight / stiffness, when they changed the shaft did you see a noticable improvement in your strike pattern?

Last edited:

RichA

Visit site
Few questions

On the course is your shot pattern predominantly right of target?

How did they fit you for lie? Was it by hitting off a plastic board and marking a strip on the bottom of the club?

Did they mention shaft weight / stiffness, when they changed the shaft did you see a noticable improvement in your strike pattern?
Morning.
On course, shorter irons are consistently straight. Mid and longer irons are affected more by the physical adjustments I'm having to make for the short shafts and flat lie - too much knee flex needed that's difficult to maintain through a full swing. Results are consistently a poor strike dispersed inconsistently left or right.
The fitting put me straight onto +0.5" and 1 degree up which was better but dispersed right. Then he used a marking strip and figured out that I needed 2 degrees up.
He only used AWT regular shafts. I didn't realise until a couple of days ago that the old stock zzlite shafts in my Eye 2s were generally rated to be in the higher side of stiff.
Lessons have definitely been learned and I look forward to a proper fitting. Just trying to make my old clubs more usable in the meantime.

RichA

Visit site
I would get adjustments. What do you need adjusted to become standard length and lie so you match the clubs - an inch or two off the legs?
Bare feet might be enough to match the shaft length, but I'd need some kind of counterbalance on the back of my belt for how far forward I'd be leaning to match the lie angle.