Extending irons

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
Just wondering what people know about extending a set of irons. What it is I want to try playing with a set of blades but do not want to go to the mega expense of buying a brand new set of irons and having them custom fitted, I am just going for an Ebay bargain. I do have to get irons fitted as I get them 1 inch longer and 1 degree upright as standard clubs are just not long enough for me. I know the lie angle is easy to get altered but I was wondering how having extension plugs put in the shafts will affect the way the irons play.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Just wondering what people know about extending a set of irons. What it is I want to try playing with a set of blades but do not want to go to the mega expense of buying a brand new set of irons and having them custom fitted, I am just going for an Ebay bargain. I do have to get irons fitted as I get them 1 inch longer and 1 degree upright as standard clubs are just not long enough for me. I know the lie angle is easy to get altered but I was wondering how having extension plugs put in the shafts will affect the way the irons play.

Out of interest Adey. What are you looking at on the bay?

chris661

Money List Winner
Visit site
Just remember that there is no standard length so you will need to find out the length of your current irons and adjust the new ones as necessary. Gamola do the stuff needed and a decent price.

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
Just remember that there is no standard length so you will need to find out the length of your current irons and adjust the new ones as necessary. Gamola do the stuff needed and a decent price.

That is something that was worrying me regarding these clubs, but I have checked out the spec on the MP37 and compared it to my clubs.

These specs are for the 6 iron.

Loft Lie Length
MP37 31 60 37.25

LTII 31 62 37.50

My clubs are 1 inch long and 1 degree flat. So just a case of knocking the mizzies up a degree and adding 1.25 inches.

splashtryagain

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
If you really must do it then the mp33 is the best blade mizuno have made, used them myself then tried the new ones and they are no where near the same, new = harder. Butt plugs:eek: for your shaft are a diddle to use, plus if you don't use the irons before altering you won't know if its changed the characteristics or not.;)

MGL

Challenge Tour Pro
www.mygolf.me
But the fact that my clubs are an inch longer anyway it will make it the same as what i currently use.

Not necessarily. SW is determined by the distribution of weight of those specific components combined to make up that particular club. The addition of the extensions adds weight to the butt end also that wouldn't necessarily be there from clubs specifically cut to that length. When I extend a set of clubs, I check the existing SW's first, then try and get to the same (or not much SW difference) by perhaps using alternative weight grips, aluminium extenders, etc.

I'm not saying that you will definitely have a problem - I guess it depends on how susceptible to any changes you might be if the SW moves to much (lighter or heavier). But its not correct to say that there will be no difference when extending. I've had people come to me when wedges for example have been extended by an inch without considering the effects, as they felt they were simply too radically different from how they used to feel.

Quick cut and paste taken from the Golfsmith website and written by Tom Wishon:

[h=2]Swing Weight[/h]Swing weight isn't an actual weight so much as a comparison of the difference in weight between the club head and the butt end of the shaft. It's expressed as a letter-number combination, such as C9 or D2. Lengthening the shaft increases the swing weight, which makes the club head feel heavier. It may even make the club too heavy for you, which will slow down your swing speed and actually reduce your distance.

Last edited:

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
But its not correct to say that there will be no difference when extending.

I didn't say there would be no difference, I said he wouldn't notice any difference.
I know the swing weight will change but in my opinion only a machine would notice the difference.
If Adey gets them extended by an inch he will feel comfortable and confident with them as they are the same length as his old irons and confidence is huge in golf.

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
You're not good enough! :ears:

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

:whoo:

You know where you can go can't you.......:whistle:

It is all the new approach to golf that I am taking. I have found that committing to things and not thinking is working a treat. Having blades means you have to focus on the shot and hit it as there is no room for errors..:mmm: