Extending a putter

Mjc1981

Visit site
Recently purchased a golo5 from ebay, was advertised as 35inch, but when it arrived it was actually 33inch. I'm 6'1 so it's a bit too short. I dont want to mess with the balance of the putter but need to extend it. Probably to 35inches. Would a graphite extension piece be the best option to avoid messing up the balance? And how hard is it to pull the grip without cutting it as the grip is decent.thanks

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
You can extend using graphite but it will change the swing weight, if the head has interchangeable weights this will help .
Getting a grip off is easy if you have the right tool, I've done it with a coat hanger and lots of white spirit but bought a grip removal tool in the end.Getting the grip back on square is more important too.

Mjc1981

Visit site
Thanks mate. Was hoping the graphite wouldn't affect it as there is no almost no weight to it. Yes has interchangeable weights, currently got 20s in but have a set of 10s spare

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If you are talking about one of the plastic extenders as sold on ebay having received a putter with one in the first thing I did was to remove it because it flexed and did not stay rigid, go for metal. If it is the butt end from a shaft that has been trimmed check the diameter first they are often .62 and a metal shaft will be either .60 or .58

It is possible to remove the grip depending on how long ago it was fitted. I have removed a superstroke easily with one putter (compressed air method) but it would not budge on another.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Just extend it and don't worry about balance. It will change very little. What you will need to consider is the lie angle when it's extended. If you intend to keep your hands and posture in the same position as now you will probably need to flatten the lie slightly but it will be minimal.

However going by the fact that you think it's too short the likelihood is that you will alter/change your hand position and no lie alterations will be required.

Personally I'd just extend it and I'd be gobsmacked if you noticed any real difference.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Take it to your local pro.
He/she will remove the grip, extend it and replace the grip for you.

That's a disappearing skill in my experience Bob, most Pros these days send clubs away to be done.

In a similar vein, try and find a Pro with a loft and lie machine, it's harder than you'd imagine.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
That's a disappearing skill in my experience Bob, most Pros these days send clubs away to be done.

In a similar vein, try and find a Pro with a loft and lie machine, it's harder than you'd imagine.

It used to be part of the workshop exam when I did my training.
A white spirit syringe, tape, an old shaft and some glue is all you need.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site

I think you have a point. My pro does grips and will extend or cut down as well on request and does have loft and lie machines but there are several I know locally that either don't have the inclination to do club changes or have/use the equipment to check their work

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Extending the shaft will not create swing weight problems with a putter. Ping make putters now (Sigma 2) that allow you to wind the grip up and down with a key. Its sometimes difficult to get a putter grip off if its been fitted well but its not difficult to replace grips, I've replaced lots of them.

4LEX

Visit site
Extending it will make the head heavier but that's a good thing with a putter. It's cutting them and making the head light that is an issue - unless you play super rapid greens.

You can remove the grip with a wire coat hanger and baby oil as a crude method. It will take a while but worth it to save a £20 grip. Tip it upside down, pour as much oil in as possible, then keep poking the hanger in and sliding it around, go deeper and deeper and eventually it'll loosen and pop off.