Experience of quitting a 'Let' property due to dilipidation?

Fore

Head Pro
Visit site
Has anybody ever been a tenant on a high rent lease and had to quit because the property is in a bad state of repair?

Were six months into a two year lease agreement and things have got so bad we want to move out.

So if you have any experience of anything like this and have a solicitor you could recommend i would appreciate your views & comments.

I am in the Reigate/Surrey area.

freddielong

Tour Winner
www.garbtherapy.com
I take it its a commercial lease is it fully repairing, and have you spoken to the landlord.

The only reason I ask is we have a shop that we rent on a fully repairing lease. We have been able to negotiate a 33%rent reduction with our landlord due to the poor state of a flat that is part of the property.

Fore

Head Pro
Visit site
Hi Freddielong,
it's a residential let.
We have spoken to a couple of solicitors who agree we have a case but really need one that will be a bit more hands on and actually write letters and maybe even actually come round to view the disrepair for themselves.
We believe we have a case under the 'quiet enjoyment' wording but with such a lot of money at stake if we get it wrong we need to be really careful how we proceed. It incorporates Health and safety issues to not being able to use the swimming pool for 2 months now which was one of the main reasons we rented the place.

freddielong

Tour Winner
www.garbtherapy.com
Could you get someone from Health and Safety to come and have a look
if its something that they (landlords) are supposed to look after, you are entitled to hold the rent in a seperate account until the work is done, the best thing to do is have a word with the CAB as there are lots of things you can do.

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
Do you deal with the landlord directly or through a letting agent.

The landlord has to have someone holding the deposit under the deposit rental scheme. talk to them.

You must write to the landlord or his agent outlining your issues, and ask for a responce within 14 days

Give notice that he is in breach of the conditions of the lease and if not resolved you will start to withhold 25% of the rent

That will soon get his attention whilst any court to whom he applies for eviction will see that you have been reasonable and not withheld the full amount.

Good luck

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
I can only speak from the other side. We "let" our house and we've never managed to get more than an initial 6 month contract then "rolling" with the option to quit on 1 or 2 months notice.
Happily, ours have run for 2 1/2 years and then almost 2 years. However, we are keen to repair and replace, because we're those kinds of people.
If you've signed up for 2 years and the place is falling apart, you'll need to get tough and start making noises about "legal advice" etc.
I think a lot of landlords are happy to let their places run down and claim "normal wear and tear" if the tenant complains.
I think a lot will depend on the specifics, if certain fixtures and fittings are falling apart you need to work out which are wear and tear, and which are simply down to original poor state or lack of suitability.

I do feel for you though, we spend a lot on keeping things just right for our folk, but we don't do it for the profit.