Exceptional scoring reductions

Rip-it

Medal Winner
www.totalre-dec.co.uk
Yesterday I got 41 points of 8.6, 6 weeks ago I shot gross 75 (+3) off 9.8 inbetween this I had five rounds over hadicap.

I'm now at 6.6, 1 shot reduction for yesterday round and 1 shot exceptional scoring reduction.

Im over the moon with this, how have other faired with these reductions or even increases?

Are you happy or struggling to be competitive?

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Last season I had 2 consecutive good rounds and got a 2 shot ESR. At the time it felt too much and for the first time my handicap reflected my game as have been improving year on year. Thought this year I'd go back up but have actually played in buffer once and had a small cut so feel more confident playing to it. I also need to get used to the fact that I won't play to it as often as I used to when I was coming down fast.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Any feelings of hc being too low are purely psychological.
I've had cuts to something I thought I'd struggle from, and it takes a few rounds to get your mindset right, but that's all it needs: a change in mindset.

You can't get cut to a handicap that you haven't just played to.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
I've had cuts to something I thought I'd struggle from, and it takes a few rounds to get your mindset right, but that's all it needs: a change in mindset.

A very important point. Usually the cut comes as a result of playing a few shots UNDER the new handicap...

Rip-it

Medal Winner
www.totalre-dec.co.uk

i totally agree, I want to be as low as possible but I've heard people complain about getting the cuts. People don't understand that your handicap should reflect you playing good golf and going lower is a great round of golf.

Andy808

Tour Winner
Visit site
I have just joined you with a 2 shot ESR today.
In the July medal I played 8 under my handicap of 16 and got cut 1.8 to 14.2. On Saturday in the July stableford I shot +4 gross TEN shots under handicap to get cut 2 more shots to 12.2 and hit with the 2 shot ESR to take me to an all time low of 10.2.

Just hope it relieves me of the bandit tag I've had for so long.

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Just read on FB a 1hc won a comp by shooting 59 gross........... And his new hc issss..........????

MashieNiblick

Tour Winner
Visit site
2 good rounds (including a comp win) earned me 1 shot ESR last year and all together took me from 12 to 8.5.

Buffered 3 times this year out of about 10 qualifiers. 2 of those I shot 80 to be bang on SSS/CSS and both times had a putt inside 10ft for a 79 and a .2 reduction, which would have given me a nice cushion. But at least I felt I could play to the new h/cap, I'm just not going to win anything.

Up shot however is I am now on 9.3 and with 2 board comps to go and with the course playing longer I need a couple of decent rounds or I'll end the year on 10.

I know people say that h/cap is supposed to reflect your golf on a good day but if you are near the h/cap margin you could play dead on CSS more times than not and still go up a shot. I could hit CSS/buffer again then pick up a couple of .1s and end up on 10 despite playing to h/cap/buffer, 4 times out of last 12.

massivebelterlad

Club Champion
Visit site
Received a 2 shot ESR a while back - happy days. Never understand why people would not want to get the best out of themselves and the handicap system is very good indication as to how you are doing.

Siren

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Just read on FB a 1hc won a comp by shooting 59 gross........... And his new hc issss..........????
Assuming par 70 with css 70 and he was 1.0 dead with no other data probably -0.2.

Fair play thats some good golf.

Recentgolfnut

Visit site
Old thread but can’t find a more recent one... I just had a 1 shot ESR and it’s great. Although I can’t find clear rationale as I shot 42 pts off 16 (-7) and 38 35 35 37 in the 4 previous. There is a 41 shot 6 rounds ago so has this counted as otherwise only 1 round of -4? Just wanting to understand properly.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Old thread but can’t find a more recent one... I just had a 1 shot ESR and it’s great. Although I can’t find clear rationale as I shot 42 pts off 16 (-7) and 38 35 35 37 in the 4 previous. There is a 41 shot 6 rounds ago so has this counted as otherwise only 1 round of -4? Just wanting to understand properly.
Those results indicate to me that an ESR cut is/was due/likely - and yes, it'll be the combo of the 42 and the 41 that has triggered it. The 38 and 37 will have already reduced you by 1.5 (assuming your '-7' refers to CSS) so quite a reduction. Obviously in good form, but/so no need to change attitude just because of the reduction!

PS. Welcome aboard!

Last edited:

Recentgolfnut

Visit site
Thanks!
Yes -7 is to CSS. I definitely feel it was fair as have been shooting that score in practice also but was surprised the 41 impacted here with it being 6 rounds ago. I’d thought I’d avoided the ESR due to being -3 last week not -4 which I thought was the trigger. I assume it’s 2 scores <-4 in a short defined period therefore?

Attachments

• A2AC350A-84A1-4066-83B5-EEF2AEE6465D.jpeg
    A2AC350A-84A1-4066-83B5-EEF2AEE6465D.jpeg
    324.5 KB · Views: 11

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

sorry but the cut and past converts the table in to plain text

23.10 At the discretion of the Union, Handicap Committees must, following submission of two low Qualifying Scores (Nett Differential of -4 or better), by a Member, within a calendar year apply an Exceptional Scoring Reduction which. will further decrease a player’s handicap, over and above any handicap decreases already applied by the UHS.

EXCEPTIONAL SCORING HANDICAP REDUCTION TABLE
Number of Qualifying Scores in the sequence
4 or less 5 to 9 10 or more Average of the two Low Qualifying Score Nett Differentials -4.0 to -6.0
1 stroke
0.5 stroke
No change -6.5 to -9.5
2 strokes
1 stroke
0.5 stroke -10 or less
3 strokes
2 strokes
2 strokes

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Yesterday I got 41 points of 8.6, 6 weeks ago I shot gross 75 (+3) off 9.8 inbetween this I had five rounds over hadicap.

I'm now at 6.6, 1 shot reduction for yesterday round and 1 shot exceptional scoring reduction.

Im over the moon with this, how have other faired with these reductions or even increases?

Are you happy or struggling to be competitive?

I played some of my best golf in June, before there were any competitions on. I think a lot of this was due to firm fairways giving me plenty of run and allowing me to score on some of the longer holes that previously were rarely in reach for me.

However, been a lot patchier since competitions started and it's been a bit softer underfoot. 2 medals in Buffer and 1 round 6 shots over handicap. But Tuesday I put it all together and as an 18 handicap, stood on the 10th tee 3 over par. Despite a really messy finish (giving away 7 shots on the last 3 holes) I still got in at 2 under handicap.

Struggled a bit on the back 9 (harder 9) with a few silly doubles and a triple - still got a cut down to 17. Mixed feelings of 'what might have been' but with the positive of being of 17, rather than 15 or 16 to approach future competitions with.