Ex custom fitters club

rosie

Hacker
Visit site
Hi All
Sorry if it’s the wrong forum. I bought a mizuno fli hi hybrid 7 off eBay to match my other fli hi hybrids, same shaft etc etc.
Didn’t read the small print and have realised it’s an ex demo club. One of those with the head that the fitter can screw on and off easily for fitting.
Is it legal to use?

Thanks

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
In my opinion there is nothing different to compared to an adjustable driver or rescue club. So I cannot see anything in the equipment rules that would make it a nonconforming club.

It is after all just a club where the shaft is held on to head by a screw rather than glue.

I did have a discussion with the Pro at my club about this point but he was adamant that the club could not be used during a game because the manufacturer had told him as such.

rosie

Hacker
Visit site
I’m pretty sure i’d read somewhere about clubfitters clubs not being a legal club, but can’t find it now. Maybe I’ll get it reshafted.

Last edited:

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Any club other than a driver will be fine.

For drivers and elite events it won't be listed as a conforming version so wouldn't be permissible

rosie

Hacker
Visit site
It has the mizuno adaptor connecting it to the shaft, so is set up like a demo club, except I don’t have the Allen key to alter it.
The head isn’t altered.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
It has the mizuno adaptor connecting it to the shaft, so is set up like a demo club, except I don’t have the Allen key to alter it.
The head isn’t altered.
Any club other than a driver simply has to comply with the equipment regulations, as already posted.

Can't see why it wouldn't - and would ask anyone suggesting it is a problem to explain exactly why.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If you read the equipment rules
Read section Part 2 5 iii

as modified by

Section 1b Adjustabilty

Ps you probably would not be able to get a demo head reshafted because of the way the demo adjusters fit in to the head. The fitting on the shaft normally forms part of the hosel. i.e. the shaft fits in to the adapter and not directly in to the hosel. If you have an adjustable driver you will see what I mean.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
If you read the equipment rules
Read section Part 2 5 iii

as modified by

Section 1b Adjustabilty

Ps you probably would not be able to get a demo head reshafted because of the way the demo adjusters fit in to the head. The fitting on the shaft normally forms part of the hosel. i.e. the shaft fits in to the adapter and not directly in to the hosel. If you have an adjustable driver you will see what I mean.
Not sure what you are trying to say here (or to whom).
What adjustability does this fitting have that is outide the established, or stated, norms of adjustability?

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Not sure what you are trying to say here (or to whom).
What adjustability does this fitting have that is outide the established, or stated, norms of adjustability?

My post is aimed at the OP or anybody else interested in the original question because the answer can be found by reading those two sections combined.

If you read Section 2 part 5 iii on its own then answer would be no it is not conforming because it that section the shaft must only be removable by applying heat (as in traditional method of club building)

However
Section 1b modifies that statement to allow for adjustability as found in a lot of modern clubs, in that the club not be easily adjustable ie by hand and (from the top of my head) must need a special tool.

Surely it is better to explain why we consider the club to be conforming, quoting the specific Rules, rather than just stating it is.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
My post is aimed at the OP or anybody else interested in the original question because the answer can be found by reading those two sections combined.

If you read Section 2 part 5 iii on its own then answer would be no it is not conforming because it that section the shaft must only be removable by applying heat (as in traditional method of club building)

However
Section 1b modifies that statement to allow for adjustability as found in a lot of modern clubs, in that the club not be easily adjustable ie by hand and (from the top of my head) must need a special tool.

Surely it is better to explain why we consider the club to be conforming, quoting the specific Rules, rather than just stating it is.

Agreed.

My misunderstanding was based on post #8 not having any conclusion in itself, and my only reference point to your viewpoint being post #2 which represented both views ie you saying it's OK and your pro saying the manufacturers said it isn't!

So I didn't know which you were quoting the rule to support!

Thank you for clarifying.

rosie

Hacker
Visit site
Thanks all, I’ve decided to buy another one, there was a comment on the Mizuno forums where a mizuno employee said it wasn’t competition legal. There’s no point me worrying about using it.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Thanks all, I’ve decided to buy another one, there was a comment on the Mizuno forums where a mizuno employee said it wasn’t competition legal. There’s no point me worrying about using it.
I hope you asked him/her on what basis they were representing that view...

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Of course the Mizuno employee is going to say that. They want you to buy a new club.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Is there not a fundamental difference between the fli hi hybrid and a driver as, in my experience, drivers are adjustable but the fli hi, and other fitting cart irons, are interchangeable; you can change the shaft but nothing else.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
other fitting cart irons, are interchangeable; you can change the shaft but nothing else.

Newer TaylorMade (RSI,CB tour onwards) and Nike demo irons can be adjusted for lie. Callaway adaptors have markings on them so they might be the same but I have not seen the heads, Titleist adaptors appear to be able to be put one of two ways so might be the same. I have no experience of Mizuno adapters.