engagement

MVP

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
How much did you spend on an engagement ring?

Im gonna pop the question to my mrs this xmas but dunno what i should spend on the shiny round bit! any ideas ??
also while we're here where did you propose to your mrs??

I dont wanna let her down yet dont want to break the bank(saving for new putter) :)

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
Just shy of 4k by the time she decided she didnt want gold and would rather have it reset in platinum, I went about proposing with a cheap fake plastic ring then going out for dinner having promised to go proper shopping the following Saturday.
I doused the stairs with roses while she was getting ready made her come down and collect little presents and notes on each step then by the time she got to the bottom I was on one knee and had el fako ring in hand. Glad she said yes!
Her face was a picture when she saw the cheap ring from H Samuel.

Herbie

Tour Winner
Visit site
4k for a ring! If that kind of cash for a ring ever brushed passed my ears I wouldve gone on a golfing holiday and stayed single.lol.

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
Scarey thing is I was budgeting for around just over 2k, luckily (if this is lucky!) the ring actually cost 2.8k then the new band in platinum and reset came later all adding up to just shy of 4k but close enough to not get a full tank of petrol for the drive home.

happyhacker

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Just shy of £4k when I proposed last October. Platinum band and 1.5Ct, actually got a decent deal at time.

I picked ring as I'm old fashioned that way. Unfortunately my style of shopping is to pick what I like and I just happened to settle on an expensive ring. Will be worth it when I finally get her knocked into shape! :)

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
Very similar to this. 3 baguette stones and something like 16 smaller ones set round it.
615_large.jpg

The lady wife loves it 1.75 carats (iirc) I know nothing about diamond rings but apparently a lot of the cost is in the colour and clarity of the stones.
Come on HH get a pic up I want to see when combined we could have gotten a second hand caterham or something.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
£85 18 years ago in York.

Proposed in Grandma Batty's Yorkshire Pudding Emporium.

Never let it be said that Imurg can't show a girl a good time!!

Atticus_Finch

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
£250 12 years ago. Picked her up from work and proposed outside her mum's house in the car. She couldn't speak from the shock and I'm not really sure if she's actually replied to this day.
Could I get out of this on a technicality?

Leftie

Tour Winner
Visit site
Many congratulations mate. She will soon knock you into shape :)

The ring cost somewhere between 2 and 3 weeks gross wages - about £40. At the moment thats just over £1 per year and falling. Pretty good value I think.

MVP

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
haha some funny answers .. but 4k ,,,,,,,jesus christ.

4k worth of diamond ring would look like a bracelet on mrs shes only tiny lol i will magic something up for her !!

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
at a guess, about 2/3 weeks wages 30 odd years ago - thought about hocking it a month later when the clutch went but wasn't sure how to (safely) broach the subject.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Err.. nothing.

But fair do's, we didn't actually get engaged. But bought her an eternity ring after we'd been together a couple of years. Spent my year's bonus on it 20 years ago. When we got married a few years later, wedding ring was rather cheaper...

cm_qs

Head Pro
Visit site
Mrs cm_qs's engagement ring was about two months worth of my salary in 1997. Worth every penny.
I proposed to her on the 4th fairway of Hoddom Castle golf course on the banks of the River Annan. :D

vig

Tour Winner
Visit site
£400 in 1985. She lost the ring so we didn't marry.
How am I supposed to entrust my life to someone who loses a ring $£@&%$ :eek:
We've been engaged 23 years anybody better that?