Enforced nomad, team running course apparently done a runner

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
Email this morning that they have ceased trading ☹
Lots of members shocked and annoyed.
Apparently some suggestion of it reopening as a pay n play in the future.

Not sure I'll rush into something else, may take stock over the winter.

BubbaP

Visit site
Carswell between Oxford & Swindon.

Bit of emotion in the title, acknowledge I don't know all the details.

Have already cancelled the DD. Is with eazy collect which I think passes money over each month so hopefully fine.

I didn't have too much 'winnings' to use, but I know a few who did, plus those who paid in full up front.

Ho hum.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Carswell between Oxford & Swindon.

Bit of emotion in the title, acknowledge I don't know all the details.

Have already cancelled the DD. Is with eazy collect which I think passes money over each month so hopefully fine.

I didn't have too much 'winnings' to use, but I know a few who did, plus those who paid in full up front.

Ho hum.
No a good situation and hopefully the facts will come out. Seems very sudden which always sets alarm bells ringing

IanG

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Hope this doesn't this apply but the monthly payment schemes used by some clubs are with third parties and are effectively a loan for the subs which get paid up front to the club and the monthly payments pay off the loan plus interest. If the club goes bust you still end up owing the balance to the loan company.

BubbaP

Visit site
Awful..

Depending on where you live.... does your budget run to Frilford? Otherwise Wragg Barn.... Shrivenham is lower cost option
Thanks. Frilford is on the doorstep, still don't think I play enough to justify it, but will be under consideration. Ironically, played in a drawn comp a couple of weeks back with a nice guy who'd just left Frilford after many years and joined Carswell (seemed to have concerns about direction Frilford were taking but I didn't explore enough really). Sad for him.
Am now looking at this as an opportunity to play some more local courses that I haven't played before. Wragg Barn is one of those and of interest. Although that distance/travel would probably bring in Studley Wood & Wychwood also, both that I have played.

D

Deleted member 1147

Don’t know if it’s possible in your situation, but if you pay for things on DD, you can ask your bank to recoup any and all monies paid, at any time.

Obviously you have to justify it to the supplier. But it can be a way of getting things done if they aren’t performing the task you are paying for.

If they have gone bust there may be no funds available for refund.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I've been out the area for 10 years so a bit out of date....Burford was always excellent, but with lengthy waiting list. Surprised about Frilford, if I'd lived other side of Swindon would have joined in an instant l
Play Burford in the local Service league, always in excellent condition but I find it a bit boring- no standout holes, no real changes in elevation, no water, just a bit bland

BubbaP

Visit site
A little update. Many of the local courses have been good in offering various deals, offers, complimentary golf etc. - no doubt helped by a chunk of potential members arriving into the market.
Had a complimentary game last weekend, and today was the first meeting of the newly formed "nomad society". Was good to play with the group again, and see who has tried where, or already signed up. Trips to potential courses also planned for next two weekends.

One quiet evening I worked out there are 23 courses within 25 (sat nav) miles of where I live! 😲

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
A little update. Many of the local courses have been good in offering various deals, offers, complimentary golf etc. - no doubt helped by a chunk of potential members arriving into the market.
Had a complimentary game last weekend, and today was the first meeting of the newly formed "nomad society". Was good to play with the group again, and see who has tried where, or already signed up. Trips to potential courses also planned for next two weekends.

One quiet evening I worked out there are 23 courses within 25 (sat nav) miles of where I live! 😲
Where are you looking? Swindon is appalling for golf courses, hence my travelling 30 and 60mins to reach my clubs

BubbaP

Visit site
Where are you looking? Swindon is appalling for golf courses, hence my travelling 30 and 60mins to reach my clubs
I guess one of those is B&B, what's the other?
It's tricky, when I returned to golf my top criteria was travel time really. Am thinking about going further out but that may take away the pop up for a few holes option which was the big benefit of membership for me. Also, before this happened we had been chatting about possibly moving house also.
So not rushing, and going to play many and just see how I feel in a few months.

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
I guess one of those is B&B, what's the other?
It's tricky, when I returned to golf my top criteria was travel time really. Am thinking about going further out but that may take away the pop up for a few holes option which was the big benefit of membership for me. Also, before this happened we had been chatting about possibly moving house also.
So not rushing, and going to play many and just see how I feel in a few months.
Yeah Burnham and the Players.

Absolutely love it at the players, membership is fantastic, the course is brilliant in the summer months but does get wet in the winter

Previous to their i was a member at West Berks, had no complaints there and also enjoyed the course.