End Of Season Course Awards

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Best course : Sunningdale New.
Best greens : Liphook, Ferndown and Hindhead.
Hardest course : St Enodoc in the wind and rain a few hours ago. Made Burnham and Berrow seem easy.
Best value : Hankley Common. £60 for golf and great food. No contest.
Notable mentions : Swinley for just being a stunning place to play golf. Blackmoor for being my favourite place to play golf on a regular basis. As long as I live on the area I would never move clubs. A place where everybody knows your name.:)

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
1. Best Course you have played - Rockcliffe Hall, (Got to see quite a bit of it with my zigzag golf)

2. Best greens you have played - Wynard Hall

3. Hardest Course - Rockcliffe Hall (bloody long)

4 Best Value - Catterick Golf Club, great course, great food and cheap as chips.

5. Notable Mentions - Eaglescliffe, Consett and Crook were all a decent knock for a day out.

Is Wynyard worth the money? There and Rockcliffe are the only two biggish courses in the area I haven't played and the length of Rockcliffe puts me off.

Good to hear about Catterick. Haven't played it but I met someone previously who rated it and you have backed them up. One to play next year.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Is Wynyard worth the money? There and Rockcliffe are the only two biggish courses in the area I haven't played and the length of Rockcliffe puts me off.

Good to hear about Catterick. Haven't played it but I met someone previously who rated it and you have backed them up. One to play next year.

I guess Rockcliffe has matured a lot in the last couple of years. I've played it twice, and wouldn't rush back. Wynyard is good when its dry. Two very different nines. Front nine is tighter, and tree lined. Back nine is very open.

Catterick is excellent.

smange

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
1. Best Course you have played..........Royal Portrush

2. Best greens you have played...........My own place Ballyliffin Glashedy

3. Hardest Course...........Rosapenna Sandy Hills

4 Best Value............. toss up between Headfort New at €20 or Royal Portrush at £50

5. Notable Mentions........... County Louth, Concra Wood

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
1. Best Course you have played..........Mmm tricky one not sure if it would be Old course or Muirfield

2. Best greens you have played...........Muirfield

3. Hardest Course...........Though some may gasp at this, The old course St Andrews. it Was rock hard when played it and was extremely difficult to get near a flag. if it had been like this for the Dunhill, no one would have scored 10 under let alone 24

4 Best Value............. Forfar £20 in our Sept jolly. really enjoyable

5. Notable Mentions........... Gullane No1 and No2. Played a couple of weeks ago and in excellent shape

D

Deleted member 17920

1. Best Course you have played..........Royal Portrush

2. Best greens you have played...........My own place Ballyliffin Glashedy

3. Hardest Course...........Rosapenna Sandy Hills

4 Best Value............. toss up between Headfort New at €20 or Royal Portrush at £50

5. Notable Mentions........... County Louth, Concra Wood
Excellent news as we are at Portrush and Ballyliffin in a few weeks time. Cant wait now :D

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Banned
Visit site
Best Course - played some decent courses this year but for me it's Royal St George's

Best Greens - Hankley Common

Hardest - Littlestone purely due to the weather

Best Value - Hankley Common (H4H) £60 for the day, Swinley Forest £160 for the day and Woodhall Spa £40 on a Saturday afternoon in June

Notable Mentions - New Zealand, Cuddington, Woburn, Forest Pines, Cooden, Walton Heath

Most overrated - The Shire

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Played it June, August & September, great condition every time.

We played there in September in our Autumn Jolly and the greens were very worn and bumpy. Looked like a lot of traffic had been on them and the pins in the same place for a while.

didn't enjoy it at all

Swingalot

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
1. Best Course you have played - Royal St Georges. Lucky to have it so close and it never fails to deliver.

2. Best greens you have played - Sundridge Park - East . Played it recently and they were the best I have ever seen.

3. Hardest Course - Thurlestone (very windy day!)

4 Best Value - Royal Cinque Ports - played a twilight round, £40/each in the height of summer. We had the course to ourselves and it was 70 degrees and the wind was down.........stunning afternoon and the best way to end a day at work.

5. Notable Mentions - Chart Hills - After years of under investment it was great to see that is changing and next Year I predict this course will be back to its former glory. Great track. Cooden was great fun as always and enjoyed East Sussex National East and West after a long break away from that place.

smange

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Excellent news as we are at Portrush and Ballyliffin in a few weeks time. Cant wait now :D

You won't be disappointed in any of the courses....

Portrush is as you'd expect top notch.

There is a bit of work going on around Glashedy in preparation for next years Irish open, with bunkers being added/changed so expect some of them to be GUR there are also some new tee boxes being added but they are for the pros so don't interfere with our normal tees.

When you get to the 4th tee on Glashedy don't forget to look behind you up onto the rocky outcrop about 160 yards or so back into the farmers field and you will see where the new tee is going in for the pros, it's gonna be a superb tee box and also making it around a 250 yard carry just to get to the fairway.

We have two great golf courses at Ballyliffin and you will love them both, interested to hear what you guys think of them after you play.......hopefully the weather will be kind to you as well

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site
1. Best Course you have played - Sunningdale New, no Old, no.... one of those two

2. Best greens you have played - Crewe last Saturday, just couldn't believe how good and true they were given time of year and recent weather

3. Hardest Course - Royal Aberdeen, tough as old boots and in minging weather was a real challenge.

4 Best Value - Probably Royal Aberdeen, got a few rounds there for a modest competition entry fee

5. Notable Mentions - Really enjoyed the old course at St Pierre, great condition for the time of year and some interesting and challenging holes.

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
1. Best Course you have played - Kingsbarns

2. Best greens you have played - Slaley Hall, both courses greens were immaculate when I played in July.

3. Hardest Course - Jubilee Course St Andrews, tough as old boots even with little wind

4 Best Value - Castle Stuart, although it was bundled with grub and 4 other courses for the fee.

5. Notable Mentions - New Course St Andrews, a fun course to play.

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
1. Best Course you have played: Muirfield - even in the terrible weather on the day

2. Best greens you have played; Gleneagles Kings course - lightening quick but true

3. Hardest Course: Muirfield - killer rough

4 Best Value: Hard to say as I've rarely paid full whack this year. A course that greatly exceeded my initially modest expectations was Bathgate, good routing, interesting elevations changes, decent greens modest pricing.

5. Notable Mentions : Comrie - 9 hole Perthshire gem & Elie - old school delight

Bathgate is a gem, vastly underrated

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
1. Best Course you have played - Monifeith

2. Best greens you have played - Ballater

3. Hardest Course - 1562 Montrose

4 Best Value - Banchory 36 hole open - £25

5. Notable Mentions - Edzell fabulous condition as always

I really enjoyed Monifeith when we played it, really nice course

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
1. Best Course you have played - Saunton West - new layout is super

2. Best greens you have played - St Enodoc

3. Hardest Course - St Enodoc

4 Best Value - Lincoln GC.

5. Notable Mentions - RND, East Devon, Taunton & Pickerage, Rufford Park.​

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site
1. Best Course you have played - Sunningdale New, no Old, no.... one of those two

2. Best greens you have played - Crewe last Saturday, just couldn't believe how good and true they were given time of year and recent weather

3. Hardest Course - Royal Aberdeen, tough as old boots and in minging weather was a real challenge.

4 Best Value - Probably Royal Aberdeen, got a few rounds there for a modest competition entry fee

5. Notable Mentions - Really enjoyed the old course at St Pierre, great condition for the time of year and some interesting and challenging holes.

Although..... I've got a game lined up at the end of the month on a course that might rival Sunningdale for best course....