(end of) Nativity Plays??

D

Deleted Member 1156

And I suspect a lot of this is down to teachers wanting to do something different so they do not get bored stupid every year with the same story, as opposed to some political correctness gone mad,

I don't agree. Nativity plays have been around for I don't know how long but I suspect it's hundreds of years. Why would the teachers suddenly get bored with it now?

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
Why is it more fun to hold a Christmas nativity play, as opposed to a general "play" at christmas, without religious connotations?

It's traditional .................... and I like that, there aren't many left.

Why is The Great Escape on every Xmas then?

It's traditional .................... and I like that, there aren't many left?

Slime

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I'm not suggesting that but if only a small proportion of schools are putting a nativity on there must be a reason. I think the children themselves would benefit from putting some sort of play or event on and it's a great way to learn new things.

Because they are scared of offending other faiths.

Happy Holidays!

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
From my experience of a school governor a lot of primaries have Christmas 'themed' nativity plays, but not the old story of 3 wise men etc etc. Can't quite remember what my daughters was last year, I think there was a Jesus in there, plus a minion from Despicable Me I seem to remember. Anyway, it was all good fun.

That may be where the 20% is, 20% doing the same old story. And I suspect a lot of this is down to teachers wanting to do something different so they do not get bored stupid every year with the same story, as opposed to some political correctness gone mad, if they don't like it they should go back to their own country blah blah blah which no doubt someone on here will be along shortly to say.;)

couldnt be further from the truth. It's PC and local authorities bowing down to being over inclusive and empathic to all the other religions and beliefs. Non Christian friends have told me they dont mind nativity plays as its traditional, theres the rest of the year for multi cultural plays and events which I warmly encourage and get involved with.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Because they are scared of offending other faiths.

Happy Holidays!

And which is why I suggested in a multi cultural era the kids could be looking at how other faiths celebrate Christmas or don't and why and put something on that encompasses much more than nativity. However there has to be buy in from the school initially and I can see how they would be scared of doing this and causing offence somewhere down the line. Perhaps a sad reflection on the PC times we live in

C

c1973

School nativity plays should be continued for one reason only. So (when they're older) guys who were the lead or the narrator (me) can poke fun at their mates who were donkeys, stars, trees or whatever. ;)

It's a shame that it's even up for debate tbh. It's Christmas and nativities are a part of Christmas.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
And which is why I suggested in a multi cultural era the kids could be looking at how other faiths celebrate Christmas or don't and why and put something on that encompasses much more than nativity. However there has to be buy in from the school initially and I can see how they would be scared of doing this and causing offence somewhere down the line. Perhaps a sad reflection on the PC times we live in

If Christmas is about Christians celebrating the birth of Christ then , surely, no other faiths celebrate anything on December 25th so, by definition, there is no reason to encompass more than the nativity?

I personally don't believe in any religion but don't see how people who do shouldn't celebrate their own festivals etc as and when they are required to and I'm staggered that schools do not put nativity plays on for fear that it would upset other religions when I see no reason why it should,any more than theirs, upset Christians!

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

Thats a bit of a cop out IMO Homer. Should Christians be offended by another faith having a celebration at the appropriate time of year? Of course not. Is it Multiculturalism or Multiculturalism with Christianity excluded!

Last edited:
V

vkurup

As a non-Christian, I was asked by a colleague how I felt about my son taking part in a Christian concept like Nativity plays. I have my views on religion, but I dont think that it wants me to stop him from enjoying taking part in a play. It does not matter if he is a lobster, octopus, tree or Jesus. At this age, I would be loath to stop him from joining his friends in such an event. While our school allows parents to exclude their kids, (luckily) I dont think anyone has done so.

As there are a number of plays, I guess some of the older kids are doing more 'non-traditional' plays.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
If Christmas is about Christians celebrating the birth of Christ then , surely, no other faiths celebrate anything on December 25th so, by definition, there is no reason to encompass more than the nativity?

There are/were Pagan and Druidic celebrations around this time too. Christmas Day being the birth day of JC was established by Romans as the last day of festival of Saturnalia.

I'm fine with Schools adjusting (or dropping) Nativity plays, but the stupidity of some councils that ban Christmas lights, trees etc for fear of 'upsetting other religions' is ridiculous imo!

Last edited:

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
political correctness gone mad, if they don't like it they should go back to their own country

Absolutely agree 100%. I blame all the foreigners (especially the non-white ones that the Daily Mail really hate) coming over here stealing our jobs and ruining our kids nativity plays. Only a vote for Nigel Farage can stop this from progressing. Vote UKIP or we'll all be celebrating Winterval instead of Christmas. You only have to look at the recent example of London companies employing Portuguese bricklayers on £1000 per week. Here's a quote from an interview with a local bricklayer in Camden, "It's a disgrace that these people are coming over here and being paid so much for taking our jobs" said Piotr Liszewski from Poznan.

Only kidding. I don't actually believe any of the above. What I find surprising is that my boys go to a CEVC primary school and in years 1 and 2 they do something which is fairly close to a nativity play. The year 3 play this year included a bear and Masai warriors and was not even related to a traditional nativity play. I am not religious myself and they attend the school because we are in the catchment area and it is the best primary school within at least 20 miles of us. They say a prayer at the beginning and end of each school day and yet it is only for the first two years that they do a traditional(ish) nativity play. And this is at a Church of England controlled school. If even a CofE school stops doing the nativity after year 2 then I'm not surprised that the percentage of overall schools doing a nativity play is so low. In fact, I'm surprised that it is as high as it is.