(end of) Nativity Plays??

V

vkurup

Was at nipper's school for his nativity play. it is impressive what the lil tots get up to. Besides one 4 year old bursting up with a 'i want to see mummy' right at the end of a 45 min show, everything went fine. Agreed it is not Broadway, but it is a great experience for all. The school also encourages everyone to participate. My boy has moved up the ranks - last year he was a tree but was super excited this year as he had 3 lines to speak!!.

Anyways, an 'interesting' stat from the headmistress was that apparently only 20% of schools in England this year are running a Christmas themed nativity play. I am not a Christian, but I sense a bit of disconnect there. I think it is good fun for the kids to participate and enjoy a nativity play irrespective of religious leanings.

CheltenhamHacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Was at nipper's school for his nativity play. it is impressive what the lil tots get up to. Besides one 4 year old bursting up with a 'i want to see mummy' right at the end of a 45 min show, everything went fine. Agreed it is not Broadway, but it is a great experience for all. The school also encourages everyone to participate. My boy has moved up the ranks - last year he was a tree but was super excited this year as he had 3 lines to speak!!.

Anyways, an 'interesting' stat from the headmistress was that apparently only 20% of schools in England this year are running a Christmas themed nativity play. I am not a Christian, but I sense a bit of disconnect there. I think it is good fun for the kids to participate and enjoy a nativity play irrespective of religious leanings.

WHy is it more fun to hold a Christmas nativity play, as opposed to a general "play" at christmas, without religious connotations?

CheltenhamHacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Because it is Christmas..

That explains why we have time off, it doesn't explain why it is more fun to have a Christian nativity play. If the kids like being in a play, odds are they will enjoy a christian/non-christian play just as much. If I had kids, as long as they enjoyed being in the play, I wouldn't care what is was, as long as it had some good morals running throughout. I don't need Christianity to do that.

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
From my experience of a school governor a lot of primaries have Christmas 'themed' nativity plays, but not the old story of 3 wise men etc etc. Can't quite remember what my daughters was last year, I think there was a Jesus in there, plus a minion from Despicable Me I seem to remember. Anyway, it was all good fun.

That may be where the 20% is, 20% doing the same old story. And I suspect a lot of this is down to teachers wanting to do something different so they do not get bored stupid every year with the same story, as opposed to some political correctness gone mad, if they don't like it they should go back to their own country blah blah blah which no doubt someone on here will be along shortly to say.;)

Last edited:
V

vkurup

From my experience of a school governor a lot of primaries have Christmas 'themed' nativity plays, but not the old story of 3 wise men etc etc. Can't quite remember what my daughters was last year, I think there was a Jesus in there, plus a minion from Despicable Me I seem to remember. Anyway, it was all good fun.

That may be where the 20% is, 20% doing the same old story. And I suspect a lot of this is down to teachers wanting to do something different so they do not get bored stupid every year with the same story, as opposed to some political correctness gone mad, if they don't like it they should go back to their own country blah blah blah which no doubt someone on here will be along shortly to say.;)

A couple of years ago, I remember at my son's school/nursery, the most desired role was an 'Octopus' - dont ask me how they put that into the 'nativity' play, but it was fun and brought a lot of laughs.

On another note, it is interesting to see some hypercompetitive parents canvassing for the kid to get a certain role... IMO, they should let kids be kids and just participate..

forefortheday

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Isnt it to do with the age of the kids?

In years 1-2 they did a Nativity (and the current year 1-2's are doing) year 3 and 4 she has done a more general Christmas themed one.

She's an Angel in this years one so I guess it will have a religious theme.

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Why is The Great Escape on every Xmas then?

because some ended up on mail trains carrying sacks, the sacks were made from a hessian material imported from the Middle East, in particular a region called Bet hlehem.

I believe its actually nearer 33% that don't have a nativity play- I like Nativity plays, it's traditional and I like tradition. I have no issue with plays around other themes if the majority want it, but when a primary School forces an Egyptian Play about a family dispute and banishment and a main bad guy called isis they really havent thought it through.....or listened to the parents. (the actual story was lost in the live performance as someone cried after forgetting their lines)

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
Lets add in the fact that "jesus" was supposed to have been born in march. December is more the Yule tide period from the Pagans. So really, the nativity play is badly timed or telling the wrong type of story :D

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
My Grandson is a Lobster in his schools nativity play this year. Not any Lobster but the 'First' Lobster.

When I asked him if there were Lobsters present at Christ's birth he said "Grandad, don't be daft"

I think the Lobsters should be sent back where they came from!

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I remember being a wise man all those years ago and not enjoying the whole acting thing. Managed to get my bit done without incident but Mary having an impromptu wee on stage bought a few chaotic moments. I guess in this day and age and mulitcultural society I can see why many schools would shy away from a traditional themed play but surely there's an argument that says kids would get a lot from being involved in kind of performance at this time of year

pbrown7582

Money List Winner
Visit site
I remember being a wise man all those years ago and not enjoying the whole acting thing. Managed to get my bit done without incident but Mary having an impromptu wee on stage bought a few chaotic moments. I guess in this day and age and mulitcultural society I can see why many schools would shy away from a traditional themed play but surely there's an argument that says kids would get a lot from being involved in kind of performance at this time of year

im sure theres a joke in there somewhere... :D

I have been to my lads play this afternoon and it was called the grumpy sheep based around the nativity story but loosely. Amazing what a good show 5,6 and 7 year olds put on.

shewy

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Right I know I'm going to draw some flak for this but this is my opinion, I'm not forcing it on anyone and it's mine alone.
I missed my kids play this year due to work, but it was from Frozen and very well performed it was to by all accounts, but it's not a xmas play and to me it could have been done any-time of the year.
The nativity play is a dying breed these days and it's a damn shame, xmas is about celebrating christ and that seems to have been forgotten by consumerism, I believe the children should be shown the real meaning of xmas and the nativity would do this. It also teaches us the fundamentals of our country and this is what our country was built on.
So i see it as an education to those not of the same faith, I've seen other faith's ceremonies and I'm not offended by them in any way in fact the opposite I'm intrigued and want to learn more. There's to much liberalism in this country, we need to stand by our beliefs and grow a pair.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

Is it only Christian traditions we have to shy away from? I have no issues at all with other faiths from Christianity celebrating their traditions so why would they be offended by Christian ones. Does multiculturalism now exclude Christianity?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Is it only Christian traditions we have to shy away from? I have no issues at all with other faiths from Christianity celebrating their traditions so why would they be offended by Christian ones. Does multiculturalism now exclude Christianity?

I'm not suggesting that but if only a small proportion of schools are putting a nativity on there must be a reason. I think the children themselves would benefit from putting some sort of play or event on and it's a great way to learn new things.