ElevenSports in Trouble

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 15344

In future I must remember to bitch and moan every time I notice someone has slightly gone off topic 😴

At this moment in time he hasn’t actuallt contributed anything to the thread apart from to moan about what others are posting about ( quite ironic when he is pointing out what is relevant or not to the subject )

Anyway in regards the golf - did hear a rumbling that Discovery looking at snapping up the USPGA so it would be on Eurosport for next year - seen a few highlights from them and it’s mainly just PGA coverage

D

Deleted member 1147

So are you suggesting it was started merely to promote a pro-BBC agenda rather than to discuss the demise of another broadcaster.
I think it may have been to share a golf related issue. After all it is in the lounge section of the Golf Monthly Forum. A place I believe golf related issues can be shared.
I’m not sure there needs to be a nefarious reason, just a golf reason!

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
My guess is we are moving towards a streaming service whereby you pay £x per month for access to golf coverage and the likes of Sky broadcasting a multi-sports package are coming to an end.

Likewise in football where you might pay just to watch all your own team games.

Wolf

Visit site
My guess is we are moving towards a streaming service whereby you pay £x per month for access to golf coverage and the likes of Sky broadcasting a multi-sports package are coming to an end.

I do hope that is the case make so much easier to choose to have what you want. Its already prevalent in US sports with NFL & MLB where you can buy a game pass specific to your supported team. Works out cheaper and specific to want you want to watch

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
I do hope that is the case make so much easier to choose to have what you want. Its already prevalent in US sports with NFL & MLB where you can buy a game pass specific to your supported team. Works out cheaper and specific to want you want to watch

Yes, but in my view going to be very tough to get new people interested in sports.

Folk won’t simply channel hop and happen upon something.

Needs a change in thought the way things are marketed and how free views or certain free to air content is delivered to try and gain new interest.

MLB would put quite a few games on Facebook for free. But in my view was still tricky to find and obviously pissed off a lot of the subscribers.

I’d imagine there is still room for a provider to collate various sports and streams, like a Now TV or Amazon.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site

That actually sounds like a good system - far too good for the likes of Sky to offer. They'd rather charge you way over the odds for the rights to watch all the teams and sports because they know people will pay it. Not much incentive for them to tailor it to you and charge less I don't think.

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
That actually sounds like a good system - far too good for the likes of Sky to offer. They'd rather charge you way over the odds for the rights to watch all the teams and sports because they know people will pay it. Not much incentive for them to tailor it to you and charge less I don't think.
For anyone into lots of sports this will be a lot more expensive. A package deal will be way cheaper than lots of individual deals for each sport.

Wolf

Visit site
For anyone into lots of sports this will be a lot more expensive. A package deal will be way cheaper than lots of individual deals for each sport.
Or you could look at it the other way, for those not interested in lots of sports but just specific ones it's cheaper.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site

I agree but would suggest that the coming to an end is actually going to take another 10-15 years

HughJars

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Sports on the BBC

Football

Cricket

Golf

Motorsports

Winter Sports

Cycling
I've deleted all the minority sports I couldn't give a toss about. So....

Fitba - 1hr of highlights on a Sunday evening, and some Scottish cup games. Utterly pathetic coverage
Cricket - Where? What? I've seen some test highlights on Ch5, but that's it. What am I missing?
Golf - Erm what?
Motorsports - Touring Cars - ITV4; F1 - nyet; IOMTT - ITV4; WRC - CH5 I think? World Superbikes - ITV4. So what exactly are you refering to here?
Winter Sports - not much they don't. Didn't see any coverage of the recent curlign events, Ski Sunday highlights is about it isn't it?
Cycling - None of the grand tours are on the BBC.

I don't see how your point stacks up?

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
I agree but would suggest that the coming to an end is actually going to take another 10-15 years

Maybe - but if I was Sky I would seriously be looking at jacking in the dish and going full streaming.

It would surely make a bit more sense to do that - even if it meant throwing a few million into the broadband infrastructure pot with BT and Virgin and the government and have everyone streaming, rather than whatever they spend on an average year fitting / maintaining / replacing dishes.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site

Whoever offers it will obviously price it at a level whereby by the time you have had 3 'things' you'd be as well just shelling out on a big multi-sports package.

I pay something like £100 per year for MLB. This includes every single game for every single team. This is a LOT of baseball, with each of the 30 teams having 162 games.

In America you'd pay the same, but if a network like Fox or ESPN has a game on live in America, then it's blocked and you'd have to pay the network. It is pretty much standard in America that you just watch your own team and it will often have partisan commentary.

I'd imagine with regards to football... all EPL games may be moved to 1730 so that they could broadcast every game live in the UK. Then potentially you could buy a Man U or Arsenal 'season ticket' and just watch their games.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Maybe - but if I was Sky I would seriously be looking at jacking in the dish and going full streaming.

It would surely make a bit more sense to do that - even if it meant throwing a few million into the broadband infrastructure pot with BT and Virgin and the government and have everyone streaming, rather than whatever they spend on an average year fitting / maintaining / replacing dishes.
Is the infrastructure there for streaming? Not yet I'd suggest. They need to create a better way to deliver broadband because at the moment, for too many people, the service is not fast enough to offer consistent, non buffered broadband tv on a large scale. Get that sorted and I would agree with you.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site

Yeah starting now there's no way they'd order up 10m dishes etc but since these are already in place you'd need to offset losing that infrastructure to a online streaming offering where the take up will be much lower and churn will be at a much higher rate than satellite subscribers too, coupled with the lower income

I would wonder if sky could afford their current content contracts if they rushed it too soon

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Yeah starting now there's no way they'd order up 10m dishes etc but since these are already in place you'd need to offset losing that infrastructure to a online streaming offering where the take up will be much lower and churn will be at a much higher rate than satellite subscribers too, coupled with the lower income

I would wonder if sky could afford their current content contracts if they rushed it too soon

Not sure about the financials, but I'd be amazed if Sky had a plan to continue with delivery via dish beyond the next 5 to 10 years.

If they don't, I'd suggest that it is fast becoming a flawed business model. Sky have lost a tonne of revenue in the last 5 years due to competitors that they didn't previously have to worry about, but they probably still have deep enough pockets to change direction or they will be completely consumed by online streaming providers.

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
Not sure about the financials, but I'd be amazed if Sky had a plan to continue with delivery via dish beyond the next 5 to 10 years.

If they don't, I'd suggest that it is fast becoming a flawed business model. Sky have lost a tonne of revenue in the last 5 years due to competitors that they didn't previously have to worry about, but they probably still have deep enough pockets to change direction or they will be completely consumed by online streaming providers.

Many areas still aren’t capable of providing internet connections remotely capable of streaming in HD, let alone 4K. Until that’s universally available (no time soon) Sky would be foolish to change to streaming only.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Many areas still aren’t capable of providing internet connections remotely capable of streaming in HD, let alone 4K. Until that’s universally available (no time soon) Sky would be foolish to change to streaming only.

I'm aware. But since I live in a big city I don't care. :)

Seriously, I do realise that, hence why I said it would be worth their while getting together with BT, Virgin and the government and all throwing a few million into the pot and maybe underwriting a loan as well as embarrassing the government into moving things on a LOT quicker.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
We are getting fibre to the door at work as part of a rural broadband scheme. The contractor turned up to fit it and realised the end of the cable was too far away and there was no trunking to go through into the factory. They are now going to dig an 80m trench to hook us, 1 factory, up to high speed fibre broadband. That is economic madness. The method of delivery needs to alter as cabling this way is bonkers.

D

Deleted member 15344

Sky aren’t going to “split” up their subscriptions- they may lose sports to help gain others - for example they are looking to try and get CL back which is going to cost a lot to get so they may cut loose sports that don’t bring in subscribers like Golf.

There is more and more technology being delivered and tested for sat broadcasting - the UK is decades away from having a good enough Internet infrastructure that well enable a “internet broadcaster” to be a big player in the UK sat and digital is going to continue to be the market leading for a long time yet

Also the Premier League will never allow a broadcaster to just sell packages that enable someone to watch just matches of one team only - it would then make the imbalance between the smaller and bigger clubs even more so - it certainly doesn’t help La Liga

Sky pay a lot of money for the premier league - they are going to ensure they get their subscribers to help pay for it