Electrical Advice Needed

Sweep

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I am changing all my downlighters (10 in one room) from low voltage (mains) to LED RGB. In taking out the old units there are 2 x live, 2 x neutral and 1 x earth wires. The new fittings have two connectors for live wires and 2 x connectors for neutral but nowhere to connect the earth wire. Are there any sparky's that can tell me what I should do with the earth wire?
Any help would greatly appreciated.

Digger

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I am changing all my downlighters (10 in one room) from low voltage (mains) to LED RGB. In taking out the old units there are 2 x live, 2 x neutral and 1 x earth wires. The new fittings have two connectors for live wires and 2 x connectors for neutral but nowhere to connect the earth wire. Are there any sparky's that can tell me what I should do with the earth wire?
Any help would greatly appreciated.
Firstly I'm confused that you only have one earth wire if there are two of each of the others. Assuming both the lives and neutrals come out of twin and earth, where is the missing earth wire. If you can post a photo I can help. (I am qualified for the avoidance of doubt)

SaintHacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Firstly I'm confused that you only have one earth wire if there are two of each of the others. Assuming both the lives and neutrals come out of twin and earth, where is the missing earth wire. If you can post a photo I can help. (I am qualified for the avoidance of doubt)

House wired with single core cables?:confused:

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I can't help with your current problem but I have heard that leprechauns hide their gold in plug sockets in people's houses. The best way to get it out is with a small metal fork. :thup:

Digger

Assistant Pro
Visit site
House wired with single core cables?:confused:
It's possible it is, and that the earth is a later addition. Hence the need for a photo. The new fitttings sound like class 2 fittings, but the integrity of the earth circuit still has to be maintained for any non class two fittings still on the circuit.

Sweep

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Apologies for the confusion. As you will see from the photo there are 2 each of live, neutral and earth. It was just that the earths had been put through one sleeve.
The photos are of the new fitting, an old fitting to show how it was wired. A photo of the wires without connections and Looking on the inter web it seems the advice is to cap off the earth in a block, so the 4th photo is how I think it should be wired. Please correct me if I am wrong! 😀

Attachments

• IMG_2561.jpg
    IMG_2561.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_2562.jpg
    IMG_2562.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_2566.jpg
    IMG_2566.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_2558.jpg
    IMG_2558.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:

Digger

Assistant Pro
Visit site
That clarifies the earth situation. The reason I asked was that the earth is the most important connection. It's the one that could potentially save your life. Anyway, wire the live and neutral as per the instructions but do make sure both earth wires are connected together well. (I use push fit connectors these days but twisting together then putting in a connector block is fine) You must ensure earth continuity throughout the circuit.
Hope that helps.

Sweep

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
That clarifies the earth situation. The reason I asked was that the earth is the most important connection. It's the one that could potentially save your life. Anyway, wire the live and neutral as per the instructions but do make sure both earth wires are connected together well. (I use push fit connectors these days but twisting together then putting in a connector block is fine) You must ensure earth continuity throughout the circuit.
Hope that helps.
That helps a lot! Thanks!
That explains why the two earth wires are together through one sleeve.
Thanks again for your help. It is much appreciated.