Elbows 'in' putting. More harm than good?

LIG

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
This will include some explanations that are quite long-winded so please bear with me.

When I returned to golf after many years I had a very different putting stroke than when I first took up the game.
I decided, for whatever reason, that my elbows should be near my body so that there was an angle of around 100-130degrees between my forearms when viewed from above. I seem to recall that I watched some golf on tv and that's what I saw the pros doing.

Now I'm a good one for copying actions, so even when I found I couldn't hole anything that was outside a foot, I kept on trying to 'adjust'. It got to the point where I was two and three-putting where I should have been one and two-putting, with 4 or more 3-putts a round. I've even bought 4 additional putters to try to help.

Very recently, I 'remembered' how I used to putt early on and tried to use that during a round. Results were far better than before and my confidence was high at the end of the round. Subsequent to that round I used the same 'style' in two matches and a casual round. All with much better putting stats.

My new (original) style involves holding the putter with both hands more under the grip, very much overlapped underneath, and my thumbs hardly touching the sides of the grip, my hands well away from my body and my elbows pointing at almost 9 o'clock and at 4 o'clock (again viewed from above). With this style I have been getting, for me, very good results - hardly any three-putts (one, maybe 2 in the last four rounds), and a good number (again, for me) of putts holed from 2-12 feet.

So the question is.....should I continue with the "chicken wings" putting style that's working and where I feel I have control of my stroke or should I go back to a more orthodox style and work at making it ......er, work?

All donated help and advice will be appreciated! :p

BTatHome

Tour Winner
Visit site
Why would you want to do something else? You've found something that works for you, and unless it causes discomfort, or some other negative effect, then just continue with it.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Whatever works Lig

Like you, I've recently started to hold the putter with hands holding the grip in the palms at the back of the grip. This, for me, squared the arms to parallel to the line I want to putt on and stops me pulling the first few putts left then pushing right in an attempt not to pull.

Keep practicing and you'll soon know if it's a long term move

LIG

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Whatever works Lig

Like you, I've recently started to hold the putter with hands holding the grip in the palms at the back of the grip. This, for me, squared the arms to parallel to the line I want to putt on and stops me pulling the first few putts left then pushing right in an attempt not to pull.

Keep practicing and you'll soon know if it's a long term move

Your forearms I take it? Sounds like what I do.

The picture in my mind atm is a crouched over Niclaus with his tiny putter!

LIG

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Thanks for your advice fellas! :thup: It's reassured me that I should go with what is already working and try to refine that for more consistency from 12ft and in!

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Thanks for your advice fellas! :thup: It's reassured me that I should go with what is already working and try to refine that for more consistency from 12ft and in!

It still, like most strokes in golf, comes down to rhythm and pace

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
putting strokes are like signatures, everyones different- use what works for you :thup: