Effects of using the wrong shaft..........???

elliottlale

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
ok, so i took up golf properly at the start of the year. not knowing anything really about buying clubs, i went to AG (i know, i know........) and bought some TMs in Reg Flex. Also bought online my hybrids in R and found a new 3 wood in R. then bought my driver 2nd hand from club pro, again R Flex. At the time he did say i 'could' be a big hitter and something about smash factor. i started using the 12 deg G10, at the time he did say its prob a bit too much face and that id prob want a stiff flex, but as i was hitting it quite well (for me!!), i decided to buy it a week later. results are still ok, def not big, but get it out to about 240 yds. problem is, it does go very high!! without using a trackman device, would i be getting more distance with say a 10.5 deg face? and what effect is me using R Flex shafts over S Flex shafts having on my game?
Info- hit 7 iron 150-160 yds
Driver about 240yds

looking back,i know i should have got CF'd, but its all in the learning process!!!

G1BB0

Money List Winner
Visit site
I am about the same with a 7 iron and driver can be anything upto around 280 but rarely straight :)

My driver and hybrids have stiff shafts, 3 wood regular and irons are uniflex

in all honesty I dont know whether the shafts make much difference at my skill level so until I hit below 20 they will do me.

I may look at CF when in mid to low teens but until then I am too erratic to worry about it.

After 6 months I have realised that accuracy over distance works everytime so aslong as you are hitting fairly straight or a controllable fade I wouldnt worry too much

elliottlale

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
yeah, im kinda happy with accuracy! yeah, i wont be upgrading for the sake of it! i dont have the money most of all!! i have set myself a h/cap target to upgrade clubs!

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I think that you will find that a single figure golfer would be able to hit yours, my and most other peoples drivers on here pretty well what ever the shaft /head combination they had in them, but would c/f so that they get whats absolutely going to work for them.

What I am saying is that off 27 it is possibly not the perfect setup for you but until you achieve a repeating swing even Trackman is unlikely to c/f you a driver that will be totally correct. I would say to work with what you have and concentrate on tempo and accuracy and the G10 will be fine and when you get to 18 have a look at whether you need to c/f then

Chris